Far Oaks Golf Club in Caseyville has a unique layout with a front nine that is designed in a Scottish-links style and a back nine that plays through rolling woodlands. The links holes are framed with native prairie grasses and wildflowers while mature oak trees line the fairways on the back nine. There are plenty of elevation changes throughout the golf course, making it hard to find a flat lie. Mounding and strategically placed bunkers lurk treacherously along the greensides and there are also several holes with water. Far Oaks Golf Club is a challenging course that demands accuracy, which is most apparent on the 10th hole. Although it's not the longest par 4 on the course, it is still challenging thanks to a slew of bunkers that border both sides of the green.

Far Oaks Golf Club

Year Built 1998
Fairways Zoysia
Greens Bent
Architect Bob & Kye Goalby

Needs help

This is my favorite course in the area, but sadly the greens and many of the bunkers are in rough shape. So many dead/bare spots on the greens makes it nearly impossible to putt. REPAIR YOUR BALL MARKS PEOPLE!!!, don’t add to the problem.

Beat Up.

Any course I pay over $50 to play, I expect to be in good condition. The greens were in TERRIBLE condition. Not only that, there was no course marshal to speak of in order to help keep the pace of play. Round took over 5 hours. Bottom line, I won't be back. There are too many nice courses in St. Louis and across the river in Illinois for me to travel that far and pay that much for that experience.

Commented on 09/28/2019

Give Mystic Oaks in Waterloo a try Greens are in great shape ! DGB 9/28/19

Just bad!!!

Greens are gone. Course worth only about $20 to play right now...not $50-$60. All greens had major issues which made it impossible to post a score. Just had to putt in general vicinity with no chance of ever rolling true! Place needs some serious work done.

Going Downhill Fast

I should have known something was up. No one at the course on a Saturday morning and the practice green had some issues. I guess the word is out.

Every green has issues. Numerous areas with no grass. See images of hole 17 green. Greens are so overwatered that they are spongy. Your ball will land in it's own ball mark.

Numerous bunkers with weeds, no sand. Some fairways erratically mowed (hole 14 and 15). Rough was as hard as a rock.

With these conditions, they are charging $60. Ridiculous!

Commented on 09/28/2019

You should give Mystic Oaks CC in Waterloo Greens are in fantastic condition 9/28/19

Good course but greens are ruined

Course up to the greens is very nice. Once on the greens there are huge sections of dead grass. It’s like putting through a minefield and makes the experience pretty lousy. Once the greens are fixed this will be back to one of the best courses in the St Louis metro area.

Far Away

Friend of mine got a solid rate to play, so we gave it a try. It is kind of out of the way so had never played there. To get to the course, you have to drive through a decent sized housing complex. Pulling into the course, the parking lot was in rough shape. Lots of rocks and gravel and not smooth. Not the best first impression.

The course was packed and our group was behind some sort of girl’s high school foursome. They were VERY good players but it took them forever to play their shots. Must have been a team qualifier or something as it appeared that two coaches were with them. We would have just skipped a hole to get ahead of them, but that would not have done us any good. That let to us taking over 5 and a half hours to play our round.

First hole looked a little odd as from the tee box, it appeared the fairway simply ended. However, it did take a left turn and had a good rise in elevation. The greens were a little spotty with some dead patches but they rolled true. The sand in the bunkers on 4 and 5 were pretty bare without a lot of sand. Seemingly every par 3 had a big change in elevation.

Had a long wait to play the par-4 15th hole as it is pretty short dogleg left. One of our group ripped his best drive of the day and nearly hit a player who was in the sand just in the front of the green. We apologized for nearly hitting her. However, after we all got on the green, TWO balls from the group behind us hit our carts. Beware that this is pretty dangerous as the sight line isn’t great from back on the tee.

Sixteen had a huge drop off and, with the breeze, made it difficult to play. The final hole is a fun one to finish up with water all the way on the right side of the fairway.
Enjoyed the course itself but not the fact that it was SO slow that day. Not sure I will ever play there again.

Far from a good experience

We arrive to find out that the greens had just been aerated and top dressed. No mention of that anywhere on Golf Now.
As it turns out, it didn’t really matter, as the whole course as in horrible shape. Many fairways were torn-up or haphazardly re-sodded. Some bunkers were so bad, they were marked ‘Ground Under Repair’; others not marked, should have been.
This was once a nice course.....what happened???? Far from that now!

I really like this course but right now the greens are in bad shape & some of the fairways. They are trying to fix all of this but mother nature hasn't helped. I will definitely play this course again in the future.

What happened?

I understand that this has been a rough year for water in the course, Sunday was no different, but literally half of the greens had issues with grass growth, putting on dirt is no good, and the layout of this course deserves way better. I generally avoid the course because I don’t think 50-60$ for the full rate is right. I have issue with the condition of the course being even 30$ on GolfNow. This course has been better, and comparatively speaking to other courses, it’s a failure on the condition. I’m a scratch golfer and usually log over a 100 rounds in a season, and I won’t be back until I hear differently.

Far Oaks

Great course! Greens are a little rough due to the crazy weather we have had. Fairways were in great shape! Pace of play was amazing for a Saturday.

terrible Greens on all of them

I wish I knew when we booked the tee time before that every Green was burnt out and very tough to put on.

It should not be charging full price or have noticed on the website to let us know what the condition is to make better choices. Obviously the course is ruined for the rest of the year because the greens will not grow back. Buyer beware.

Commented on 08/06/2019

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience. Our greens do have a condition where they are discolored in areas called wet wilt. This occurred a couple of weeks ago when we received 3 inches of rain is a short period of time and had intense heat for days after. We have addressed the issue head on and will continue to fix with aerification once the elements allow. The greens are truly NOT dead and still putting fine in our option, mowed , and maintained daily. We still have many regulars that are happy with the product. Again thank you for your review and appreciate your patronage.

Commented on 08/05/2019

Thank you for your comments about our property. We do have some greens that have brown or discolored. This is a condition called wet wilt that came after 2 1/2 inches of rain in an hour and extreme heat for 5 days after. The greens are truly NOT dead and we believe putting fine with the condition. They are just aesthetically not normal. We do have an intense aerification schedule coming soon when it cools a bit and they will be back normal green in no time. Again thanks for the review and playing and we hope you will be happy with our product moving forward.

Overall Good But Could Be A Whole Lot Better

I thought overall the fairways and greens were good. The starters are always friendly. However, they are not doing the extras to make this course a stand-out course it used to be.

They have so many bunkers in disrepair. They say they are going to work on these but I never see this. The bunkers that are not considered ground under repair - need some raking too.

Some tees and fairways have crabgrass

On one of the hottest days of the year, they do not have the fans running on the greens that need circulation. Especially, hole 14, showing stress on the right side (rough/green) beginning to brown.

Bunkers were in poor shape

I enjoy playing Far Oaks, it is a challenging and unique layout. On the negative side the sand bunkers were in poor shape and some tee boxes were struggling to have grass versus weeds.

Tee boxes and sand traps were horrible

Completely overpriced! Was excited to play what I thought was a decent course and feel like I was ripped off. The tee boxes were overgrown and the sand traps didn’t even have sand in them. The greens were bumpy from overgrowth and obviously hadn’t been tended to. I would not recommend this course.

Commented on 08/01/2019

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience. In addressing a couple of the comments we do feel our course is in good shape with challenging weather conditions. We are in the process of a bunker project with proper drainage for the wet times we have had and have seen some good progress on those that have been completed. The others we have added sand and feel they are in good shape. Our goal is to have all completed by the end of the season. The ones that are under construction are marked for course of play. Again, thank you for your patronage and appreciate your review.

Fairview Heights, Illinois