Cinder Ridge Golf Course

Cinder Ridge Golf Course
Scorecard for Cinder Ridge
Black M: 72.8/136 412 569 420 201 373 182 429 628 385 3599 427 570 408 165 392 325 165 413 504 3369 6968
Blue M: 71.4/133 396 554 410 189 361 175 398 598 363 3444 385 560 390 151 368 325 133 398 489 3199 6643
White M: 69.7/129 368 527 350 169 343 158 381 576 357 3229 363 530 334 142 347 325 132 372 462 3007 6236
Gold M: 67.3/123 W: 72.6/127 340 500 320 155 328 140 363 505 326 2977 335 470 318 123 325 325 125 346 436 2803 5780
Red W: 67.6/117 250 420 265 145 225 135 285 492 306 2523 245 410 230 123 245 280 112 266 406 2317 4840

Year Built 1995
Architect George Kappos (1995)

Practice Hole Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Pace of Play in the U.S. (2017 #11)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Illinois (2015 #4)

Very nice course

Very nice course with a lot of fun holes, my wife and daughter played and this course is very friendly for the ladies.

Got out at 615

Early round. Staff had dew sweepers ready to go.

Threesome in front of us were slow. Turns out they were waiting on a 4th. Got slower with him. No ranger to get them moving. Passed them at 10, hour 20 min back nine, 2+ hour front. Course was in good condition despite 4 days of mist and drizzle. Greens were fast and true. Will be back

Always fun

Always fun to play here. Whatever green aeration had been reported previously has completely healed. Course in great shape. Note that many of the greens are crowned, and a few putts in 2-3 foot range had enough break to play outside the hole.

We went off early as a 3-some and didn't see another golfer until the turn. Front desk let us go off a few minutes early. 3:35 pace and early bird rate.

Some greens are aerated

We we're not expecting aerated greens. It wasn't every hole and only seemed to affect a couple putts in the foursome. One putt did hit a hole and jump sideways from two feet out from the hole. Otherwise course is in excellent condition. The layout is very challenging since there isn't much room for error if you miss fairways or fly the greens. Lost a lot of balls. Drinks and food are a great deal. Staff is always super nice. Highly recommend playing this course. My group likes to play it regularly.

Marty

Great course. Love the layout. Challenging but fair Fairways in good shape. Rough is short, thick but very hittable. Greens recently air rated so a little bumpy on some holes but not bad overall. Would definitely play again!

how pleasantly surprised I was

Great course in great shape even after all the rain greens were nice maybe a little soft but that's just the way it was going to be... can't wait to play it when things are a little dryer

Great golf course

Very tough course, great condition. Rough is thick with quick greens. Highly recommend!

Great layout Challenging. Well worth playing.

I've been wanting to play Cinder Ridge for years and I was not disappointed when I finally booked a round and made the Friday Afternoon drive. Took about an hour with fast moving traffic but it was worth the drive.

I was concerned before due to the reviews that I now find completely out of line and unlike my experience. While Cinder Ridge does not deliver a glamorous experience, it absolutely delivers a great and unique golf experience for anyone that appreciates the game for what it is.

Fairways, fringes, greens, bunkers, and rough were all in excellent condition. Many fun and interesting elevation changes. The rough on this day was thick enough to cause difficulty but not so thick that you can't find your ball. That's a plus for speeding up play. Our threesome played behind an incredibly slow senior pair and we still finished 18 in 3hours 48minutes. The only discomfort I found: a number of annoying bugs on the front nine that just wouldn't quit until I reached for the spray.

The par 5s are very long, bending, and contrast with the the par 3s which are dead straight and on the shorter side but with small greens which demand precision. Loved how the edges fall off on some parts of some of these greens. Greens were tight and fast on this day. Some players ahead were careless in fixing their ball marks but I covered for them as I always will.

The bunkers are plentiful, large, and well placed and well cared for. Mostly they are a flat, shallow, pan-style that provides a flat lie with clean, smooth, and consistent sand. Perfectly playable.

Pleasantly surprised to find so many doglegs here. By my count 10 of the holes had bends ranging from gentle to extreme. The course begins with three doglegs that are significant enough that you cannot see the green from the tee. Of the many memorable holes, I found a 577 yard dog left # 8 that is a monster which should be a Par 6. #9 is a short hole that takes a hard 90 degree left turn. #12 requires a laser straight drive through a narrow chute that I haven't seen outside of PGA events. #16 Par3 over water provides an interesting look and you really don't want to miss this green like I did.

I took a big number here on this first round playing here. I had a ridiculous number of penalty strokes which were all entirely my fault. I'll be happily returning for another try!

Booked on the internet. Course requires that internet bookers tee off at the exact booking time. We played the course twice in the same week and with no starter the staff sent other golfers off at our tee time both times. There is no discipline. Play was slow.

u000003881268
Commented On 06/21/2018

Consider showing up on time and you will have a more pleasant experience.

Not Worth the Money

Played here after a 15 year hiatus. I didn't think much of the course back then having played it a handful of times and nothing has really changed over that time period; with the exception of a lot of trees lost during the tornado back in 2015 it is a little more open than what I remember

Course feels similar to many you see in central IL, where they are simply cut out of the woods. There's not many memorable holes here and the greens were poor with many patches of semi-dead spots where your ball would jump and bounce while putting. Rough was long, but likely that way due to recent rain. Serviceable clubhouse with pro-shop & restaurant with typical food at the turn.

Pace of play was slow as well. In my opinion, overall there are many better choices in this area: Heritage Bluffs & Kankakee Elks being two that come to mind.

Poor service

I felt people's who worked there that day wasn't friendly to Asian golfers!!! They didn't go e me the cart key till 5 minutes before my tee time. All the other hot deal buyers all gone let me alone to play and no rangers around course so slow pace!!! They told I can't get the cart because I have hot deal from golfnow!!!!!

Not Fun

Course Rough and Fairways on he front 9 were not cut recently, back 9 was much better

Best Hidden Gem

Course in great shape . Course has a great layout.

Finished 18 holes in 3 1/2 hours. This is the must play course.

Great pace and conditions

Played my second round here this year. The course is in great shape , greens fast and true, traps were good.

Fairways were also in great shape. If you have not yet played here, I suggest you do. Played Sunday and were finished under four hours. Staff is very friendly.

Course is always well kept and challenging. The staff are very friendly. The distance the flags on the driving range are always marked. I play here as often as time allows. However if you don't stay on the fairway bring a lot of balls.

Valid dates: Nov 08, 2018 - Dec 20, 2018