Style Links
Harborside International Golf Center - Starboard Course

Year Built 1996
Architect Dick Nugent (1996) CE Golf Design (1996)

Great course, not worth the $

It's hard to beat the conditions, location to the city, and unique layout of this course in Chicago, but the price tag doesn't match up. Pace was fine, was about 4.20 for 18 though we had to wait a few times, and the course is challenging but not punishing now that the fescue is cut down. I played a course in the burbs a week prior to Harborside with similar conditions and a better layout, and was $20 less with a cart. I think if the standard rate was closer to $80-90 Harborside would be tough to beat.

That said, the brat at the turn was on point and the practice facilities are unmatched for the area.

Great condition; Terrible pace

Self explanatory and the staff doesn’t care about pace.

Good Course

Starboard course is a fun and challenging layout. Course was in very good condition overall and the greens were quick. Can lose balls easily or have a very difficult time playing from the heavy grass surrounding any green or fairway.

Solid Course but a bit bland

This was my first time playing the Starboard side course. It was maintained very well, the greens and fairways were excellent. There is a lot of good sights on the course as well and it is a competitive course. The lay out does get bland, there are no trees to worry about and despite lots of scenic water most of it is not really in play, so you only have to worry about sand traps and high grass. I found that if you just focus on accuracy and not going into the rough you really remove much of the challenge of the course.

Overall a very nice course but a bit over priced for a fairly straight forward layout.

Safety 1st

Very safe playing there HOWEVER you should be able to go to 1st tee from my car without checking in at pro shop. I am pre paid on golfnow . The starter should have a note in his sheet if a client is prepaid. This would eliminate the need to go inside. Also surprised to see rakes. If you are going to leave rakes then you must leave hand sanitizers by the trap. I will not touch a rake anymore due to COVID .

5ab86258-4515-544c-bb8f-251778ee3d65
Commented on 09/16/2020

Carry your own sanitizer or don't use the rake, stop being a baby and expecting the world handed to you on a platter. It's a public golf course not your mom's house.

Great Expectations Undelivered

This was my second time playing Harborside and while I have empathy for the impacts of COVID-19, I was really disappointed with my experience before, during and after. This was made even worse as I brought out two first-timers that had been looking forward to it for years...only to be even more disappointed.

Number one, the confirmation email read that you could not check in "no more than 15 minutes" before tee time which was confusing and pressuring since we were nervous to miss the actual tee time. Number two, this was compounded by the lack of signage on how to find the pro shop since more than half of the building was shut down due to COVID. Number three, after checking in, we had to wait five minutes before we could get a cleaned golf cart after waving someone down. Number four, once we finally got our cart, the signage was poor to direct us to the first tee and literally had to ask multiple people for directions even though it was less than 100 yards from the clubhouse. Number five, once we were on the course, the number of port-a-potties was disappointing as recall only one per nine holes. Number six, the condition of the sand traps were terrible and some were just gravel. Number seven, while thankful there was a refreshments cart person, she found us just once and it was not until the 9th hole. Number eight, once again, course signage was terrible and almost non-existent trying to get from #9 to #10. Number nine, while it was referenced in the email confirmation, it was disappointing that the restaurant was closed and that after our round, the halfway house was our only option. Number ten, after the disappointing round and experience, I emailed the course with feedback and appreciated getting an email response offering to talk about it. Unfortunately, that was it and after more than three weeks, the representative could not find two minutes to actually reach out to me to discuss.

I enjoyed my first experience at Harborside years ago, not so much this year and while I may go back in the future, it will not be a top choice because at $100+ a round, it is SO not worth it and even with a twilight at $70, it is still not worth it compared to others like George Dunn that at the same price is in great shape and offers a more scenic playing experience for all.

Fore!

Staff Review

We received two carts that one had a flat tire and the second ran out of battery. We asked them to bring us two new ones and brought one initially and then never came back to give us another. When we ended up getting another new one, it also had a flat tire. The cart boys need to be better than this at a prestigious course like this.

Bring a good mindset

Played here since they opened in the mid 90’s. All the extra services are gone, but the course(s) have always been the focus of this golf facility. Challenging, but fair. When the wind kicks up, which is often, be prepared to hit some bad shots - they will happen. Overall, always a great golfing experience here. Keep up the great work!

Overrated

This is the 3rd time I have played this course and you don’t get what you pay for.

When I went to grab my cart they had about 7-8 nice carts with the touch screen GPS and about 25 old beat up carts with no amenities. They tried to give me the old cart and I asked to get one with GPS and they acted like I asked for their 1st born.

They had 1 cart girl with a cart that had no food except for 2 bags of chips and crackers. I waited till the turn to grab a bite and the grill had a dry chicken sandwich or brat. Got to a point where I told them just to tell me what they did have.

The pace of play was ridiculous, there where nuptial occasions when there where 4 groups on 1 hole. I called the pro shop and they did they would send some one and they never did.

Part of when you pay the price they ask for this course is the customer service and experience. This place is completely lacking that. I can go play Mistwood for the same price and be completely blown away.

The one thing here that is great is the practice facility and their staff. They are always wonderful and the chipping area is great.

If you want to charge the price you do then step your game up and give that value. I won’t play here again.

Good and challenging

Enjoyed my room very much very challenging course my own suggestion hideous repaving of the cart path very bumpy might as well ride on the grass next to it it’s smoother

Riverdale, Illinois