Type Private
Turnberry Country Club

Year Built 1972
Architect Larry Packard (1972)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Great Value at Turnberry

Course is in very good condition. Layout is challenging and aided by pictures at each tee. Greens rolled very true and not marked up...why can't people fix ball marks at other courses! Reviews that rip on bunker conditions are accurate, that was only drawback...actually helps for fairway bunkers but definitely not green side. Was a little weird that outing came onto course as we approached 8th tee. Thankfully the groups were all behind us and non outing group that went off 10 immediately let us thru when we caught them on 11. I'd play here anytime for the $25 rate we got, great value! I'll be back.

One Star is too many

If I could, I'd rate zero stars.
I booked a tee time 3 days in advance and was called the next morning saying I have to go out earlier, because of an outing.
When I came to the course I was told, that I can only play 9 holes or need to rush through 12 holes in 1,5 hrs...
Very unfriendly staff with attitude, seemed like left hand is not knowing what the right is doing and blaming GolfNow for the omission. Scrambling to get the money back for the prepaid tee time.
I'll never go back to this course - EVER

Commented on 09/11/2019

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave a review and provide feedback of your recent round with us. We would like to first start by apologizing for the any misunderstanding with your reservation. The tee time that you booked through GolfNow was a Hot Deal and unfortunately we had an outing scheduled for that day which interfered with your reservation time. That being said, we would like to apologize for any poor customer experience you may have received. We assure you this is not the standard we want to be known for as we always strive to provide the very best 5-star service. If you would like to discuss any concerns further, please feel free to reach out to our pro shop staff. We hope that we have the chance to welcome you back to Turnberry Country Club for a more enjoyable golfing experience soon!

Pathetic Staff

I booked a tee time 3 days in advance through GolfNow for 10:50. Next day, I'm getting a call from the proshop saying there is an outing at the booked tee time, but I should be fine if I tee off before 10AM. I showed up at 9:15 and was told that I can only play 9 holes or really need to rush it to get rhough 12 holes in 1,5 hrs.
Very unfriendly staff with attitude, left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing...and blaming GolfNow for the omission...scrambling to get the prepaid tee time back.
Turnberry never again - EVER

Not the greatest

No starter at first tee box and we were early for our tee time. 4 groups backed up to tee off and waited on every shot once we started.. Sand traps not good with hard sand and rocks. . Never saw a cart person for drinks but water on some holes. Hard to play well with play this slow..

Commented on 09/04/2019

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give Turnberry Country Club another try in the near future.

nice track

nice out of the way course. greens were in rough shape but the rest of the course was really nice for the money.

Love the course; HATE the clubhouse

Back in the day, turnberry was the premier country club in McHenry county; however that was back in the day.... I love playing this course and since I live off the 5th fairway it can’t get any more convenient. The track is well taken care, unlike the clubhouse; I’d recommend getting a tetanus booster before entering the bar or dining room; and a full hazmat suit if you plan to go into the locker room.

Rumor has it the course is currently for sale, I’m hoping it’s bought by someone who is committed to improving this club as it very easily could be returned to that premier status.

Commented on 09/04/2019

The course was in poor condition including weeds growing in the sand traps.

Turnberry - Great venue

My brother and I get together once a year to play here. Challenging course but fun for the intermediate golfer. Super layout that makes you think strategically on every shot. Greens are some of the truest I have played.

All it’s worth is $30

Do yourself a favor plan your day around 11 holes ! The front 9 and holes 10 and 11, after that plan lunch ,playing the rest of the course is a huge waste of time ! Beside horrible lack of signage and bunkers as bad as they can possibly be the rest of the course is a collection of holes that are a cross between unfair and just plain awful. The front 9 moves at a nice pace as soon as you get on the back the pace grinds down to a collection of bad conditions and very bad holes ! It’s a shame but I can see why this has turned public there is no way you want to make this a course you play all the time ! There are so many nice courses in the area forget this one !

Presently Surprised

Old style course with smallish greens. The greens were in fantastic shape and I would recommend this course to anyone. We played the back tees and it was a tremendous challenge, especially the par 3s.
I think it is a must play.

First round at course

This was my first round at Turnberry. My understanding is that it was a private club and now has opened up to the public. I saw critical reviews complaining about weeds and poor conditions, but I didn't experience that. The only complaint was regarding the bunkers. They are rock hard and not regularly maintained. Fortunately I didn't find any of them during my round. Overall a pretty interesting layout with several challenging, but all fair holes. Just a couple of forced carries and plenty of mature trees that makes things interesting if you get caught up in them. I enjoyed the round and will be back.

Only Played Nine because of Rain

Interesting place, used to be private but now open to the public. Fairly basic check in and no pro shop we could see. Course was empty until we caught a foursome on 8. Nice course without many cart paths and relatively slow greens.

I wonder if it will continue in its present form as not many people around.

Good layout, course in good shape.

Having spent a couple seasons as a member when it was semi private, the main concern for me is if the course is being well maintained.
Fortunately, the money is still being put into the course.
The greens are slower but still roll true. Like many courses these days, the traps are in need of attention. If we land in one, we rake where the ball lands so we're not hitting stones or off baked, hard sand.
Otherwise, it's the same, challenging layout. Still recommend.

Mediocre

I guess this was nice at one time but not so much anymore. Course in ok condition, greens pretty slow, tee boxes not so great. My real complaint is pace of play. Having to come to a grinding halt after 2 holes and then sitting behind a group of 5 with equally slow foursomes ahead of them made it take 5.5 hrs for 18. Also, staff will argue that you don’t get any range balls with the deals even though it specifically states you do, then when you show them proof, they give you a token for 15 balls. Won’t be going back

Commented on 08/30/2019

Hello, DrD192. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars due t a variety of inconveniences, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

Course is good value

Played here twice, both times pace of play was good. Course in decent condition, greens were very good

Village of Lakewood, Illinois