Type Private
Turnberry Country Club

Year Built 1972
Architect Larry Packard (1972)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Banquet Facilities

Available Sports

Tennis

This course is hanging on by a thread

This was the first time playing this course. It was good to see it for the first time. The layout was not too bad. It had some good holes, but I was not blown away. As far as the staff and other things, there’s no way to to rate that during times like these. As far as course conditions, there’s not much they can do because of the rain and a number of holes sit in low areas. The rough was literally so high in some areas that the grass was starting to seed, LOL. The bunkers were unplayable on virtually every hole. Based on the financial situation, I would guess these will be like this for awhile and I suspect they have been like these for months. the greens were excellent with some good slope. Obviously back in the private club days this was the golf course defense and they were fast and true. They are so slow now, it’s almost not even worth putting. Most of the bad conditions that are on the course looks to be caused by their own maintenance schedule and mowing standing water damage. It also looks like they may have some membership that has been taking carts out and in this wet season, they have done some significant damage. The course does not have cart paths from tee to green, so they don’t have any options. If you are wanting to try something new, it might be worth it if you get a good deal. There are so many other options and better playing conditions in this market. I don’t see this course being around too much longer, play it before it’s gone...Note this not a “ Ravislo” which is another private club gone public...but done the right way with huge investments.

Commented on 06/02/2020

Hi, thank you for reviewing the course. We would like to first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par as the current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Turnberry Country Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Challenging golf course, but not brutal - I would play again

The course has plenty of challenges along the round. I can see on a windy day, that the course gets tough. There is not a lot of trees to buffer the wind. It was hard, but not brutal. The greens are receptive to shots and big enough. The fairways are wide.
These are strange times, but there was not anyone working the 1st tee and they let some groups jump in front on the back nine. I don't blame the course, but it led to a slower back 9 for us. The staff was friendly and the food was excellent. To me, that is what is important.
The greens were in good slow shape for the spring, but had plenty of character. The slowness through me off, but I can see them being a test in the summer.
I really enjoyed my round and would play again at some future date.

Nice Course

Played the course at 6am. Once the dew dried off the greens, they played well. Good layout and some challenging holes. Fairways were wet in some spots but overall good condition for this time of year. I can't comment on the pace as I was a single and the first one off. Played 18 walking under 3 hours.

Great Day for 1st Round Under New Order

Staff well prepared for new restrictions. Had food and beverage available, with woman taking orders outside and retrieving from inside. Not sure why it was so slow given we played twosomes...4:15 minute round. Pleasantly surprised bunkers mostly dry and raked by machine after all the rain.

Excellent improvement!

Excellent improvement! Turnberry formally was a private club now open to the public. The quality contours show that. Much improved over the last two years. Very walkable course

Great Value at Turnberry

Course is in very good condition. Layout is challenging and aided by pictures at each tee. Greens rolled very true and not marked up...why can't people fix ball marks at other courses! Reviews that rip on bunker conditions are accurate, that was only drawback...actually helps for fairway bunkers but definitely not green side. Was a little weird that outing came onto course as we approached 8th tee. Thankfully the groups were all behind us and non outing group that went off 10 immediately let us thru when we caught them on 11. I'd play here anytime for the $25 rate we got, great value! I'll be back.

One Star is too many

If I could, I'd rate zero stars.
I booked a tee time 3 days in advance and was called the next morning saying I have to go out earlier, because of an outing.
When I came to the course I was told, that I can only play 9 holes or need to rush through 12 holes in 1,5 hrs...
Very unfriendly staff with attitude, seemed like left hand is not knowing what the right is doing and blaming GolfNow for the omission. Scrambling to get the money back for the prepaid tee time.
I'll never go back to this course - EVER

Commented on 09/11/2019

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave a review and provide feedback of your recent round with us. We would like to first start by apologizing for the any misunderstanding with your reservation. The tee time that you booked through GolfNow was a Hot Deal and unfortunately we had an outing scheduled for that day which interfered with your reservation time. That being said, we would like to apologize for any poor customer experience you may have received. We assure you this is not the standard we want to be known for as we always strive to provide the very best 5-star service. If you would like to discuss any concerns further, please feel free to reach out to our pro shop staff. We hope that we have the chance to welcome you back to Turnberry Country Club for a more enjoyable golfing experience soon!

Pathetic Staff

I booked a tee time 3 days in advance through GolfNow for 10:50. Next day, I'm getting a call from the proshop saying there is an outing at the booked tee time, but I should be fine if I tee off before 10AM. I showed up at 9:15 and was told that I can only play 9 holes or really need to rush it to get rhough 12 holes in 1,5 hrs.
Very unfriendly staff with attitude, left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing...and blaming GolfNow for the omission...scrambling to get the prepaid tee time back.
Turnberry never again - EVER

Not the greatest

No starter at first tee box and we were early for our tee time. 4 groups backed up to tee off and waited on every shot once we started.. Sand traps not good with hard sand and rocks. . Never saw a cart person for drinks but water on some holes. Hard to play well with play this slow..

Commented on 09/04/2019

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give Turnberry Country Club another try in the near future.

nice track

nice out of the way course. greens were in rough shape but the rest of the course was really nice for the money.

Love the course; HATE the clubhouse

Back in the day, turnberry was the premier country club in McHenry county; however that was back in the day.... I love playing this course and since I live off the 5th fairway it can’t get any more convenient. The track is well taken care, unlike the clubhouse; I’d recommend getting a tetanus booster before entering the bar or dining room; and a full hazmat suit if you plan to go into the locker room.

Rumor has it the course is currently for sale, I’m hoping it’s bought by someone who is committed to improving this club as it very easily could be returned to that premier status.

Commented on 09/04/2019

The course was in poor condition including weeds growing in the sand traps.

Turnberry - Great venue

My brother and I get together once a year to play here. Challenging course but fun for the intermediate golfer. Super layout that makes you think strategically on every shot. Greens are some of the truest I have played.

All it’s worth is $30

Do yourself a favor plan your day around 11 holes ! The front 9 and holes 10 and 11, after that plan lunch ,playing the rest of the course is a huge waste of time ! Beside horrible lack of signage and bunkers as bad as they can possibly be the rest of the course is a collection of holes that are a cross between unfair and just plain awful. The front 9 moves at a nice pace as soon as you get on the back the pace grinds down to a collection of bad conditions and very bad holes ! It’s a shame but I can see why this has turned public there is no way you want to make this a course you play all the time ! There are so many nice courses in the area forget this one !

Presently Surprised

Old style course with smallish greens. The greens were in fantastic shape and I would recommend this course to anyone. We played the back tees and it was a tremendous challenge, especially the par 3s.
I think it is a must play.

First round at course

This was my first round at Turnberry. My understanding is that it was a private club and now has opened up to the public. I saw critical reviews complaining about weeds and poor conditions, but I didn't experience that. The only complaint was regarding the bunkers. They are rock hard and not regularly maintained. Fortunately I didn't find any of them during my round. Overall a pretty interesting layout with several challenging, but all fair holes. Just a couple of forced carries and plenty of mature trees that makes things interesting if you get caught up in them. I enjoyed the round and will be back.

Village of Lakewood, Illinois