Type Private
Turnberry Country Club

Year Built 1972
Architect Larry Packard (1972)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Golf Simulator Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Yes

Banquet Facilities

Available Sports

Tennis

Nice course. Only negative was the staff at check in were not accommodating. We want to try the single use carts and we were told "I dont feel like getting them out"

Commented on 10/07/2020

I am sorry the staff said something like that. We have been working on getting a waiver document and that would be the only reason to not let you use the new carts. My apologies again. The carts are intended for the use of our golfers and there is no reason to withhold it from them. Come back again and we will get you on one of them.

Not for Women

My wife was unhappy as the womens tees feel like an after thought. No yardage markers and no starter or rangen. We got to hole 16 after minor waits at each hole and there were two groups backed up on tee, with one group in fairway and another on green...Lat 3 holes took about an hour...

Commented on 09/18/2020

Hi, thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back!

Turnberry

Sand traps need new sand. Ladies tees need major improvement. Plant new trees where dead ones were removed. Reopen the pool.

Would play again, but it does feel like playing in a forest at times

I played a solo twilight round on a whim. Called as I was near there after work and they are friendly as were the course patrons. Facilities are top notch clubhouse, locker room, dining/bar venue, and a top tracer range. I was actually going to play the range, but I teed off at 5 PM. I got in 17 holes, lost my ball due to darkness on 18 fairway but went ahead and chipped and putted. Overall the setting is peaceful and the houses are set back far enough from course. The par 3's are super challenging, probably two of the toughest downhills I've played in the area. There were only a couple issues. I feel like it is fine to have trees but on a few of the tee boxes I felt like they were overhanging too much into the shot path, and I mean every angle of shot. I hit at least two branches on straight shots, which to me is fine to have trees but you need sight to the fairway, trim the branches. Second the ponds are somewhat smelly, avoid the penalty but also avoid playing next to them. Last they have no cart paths, which is fine for a link course but it alludes to what another reviewer said about the women's tee box. They appear to have been driven over. A lot. and they are mostly pure grass not trimmed. Overall it was a great twilight round and I think they can steadily make improvements to the course to match the facilities.

Nice Course but............

Actually only played the front 9, had to leave before able to play the back. So this review is on the front 9 only.
The course was in great shape. The layout was beautiful with plenty of trees. Staff was friendly and mostly helpful and I really needed help finding my way around. A few more signs would have helped. Nothing at the parking lot to indicate which way to go to the pro shop. I asked another golfer and he said he had no idea, he was looking for it too. I spotted some doors near where I parked but they were locked. The bag drop area could have been closer to the parking lot. And there didn't seem to be any direct route from where you picked up the cart to the bag drop. I had to park the cart on a cart path down a hill from where the bag drop was. I'm glad the grass. The practice range was very good but nothing telling you how far you were from the various flags. There was a metal plaque in the ground that said 100, 150 and 200 but it didn't say what those distances were to.
The golfing was good but the preliminaries left something to be desired.

Commented on 08/31/2020

Hi, thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Fun day ...but.

Course was in better condition than last year when we played. Pace of play was good. Went out at 12:15 and finished in 3:45. Staff was friendly and we love the cart service on the course. Greens were very good although slower than some. They need to give you more sand to fill divots. It seems most of the golfers here are too lazy or do not have adequate sand. No excuse for not filling your divot. Maintenance worker aerating greens was on every green we played until we called and they had him stop. Very annoying. He didn't even shut the thing off when we were trying to putt and stood in front of us on our approach shots. Duh!!"??

If your looking for a slow twilight round

They pack them in here later in the day after the members get their rounds in.

Pretty sure they double book tee times, since the last two rounds we’ve played, there was another group with the same tee time as us As we found out while waiting to tee off on the 1st.

Anticipate a crawl through 18.

Good luck when you get stuck behind beginners, no chance to play through since there’s already at least one group waiting on each of the next three tee boxes.

Commented on 08/24/2020

Hi, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game and will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Turnberry Country Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Nice Course, Private Course feel

With just a little more work this course could be elite.

Always a great venue

Course was in great shape. Same greens keeper last 30 plus years. Jimmy does a great job. Greens in great shape fast but true. Course plays long from the white tees. Play the green tees if you’re not a very long ball hitter. Don’t skip the 19th hole. The food selections are all great and beer selection great as well. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable. A couple of the gals have been there for decades. They know great service and provide it like it was still a exclusive private club. Lori and Genevieve will make you feel like you belong.

Incredible course but booking issues

As far as the golf goes, the course was incredible. Well maintained track with gorgeous views. 5/5 on course.

Only issue we had was when we arrived, they didn’t have a record of our booking through golf now. That’s not necessarily the courses fault though. Turns out, it was the same story for another foursome in front of us. So there were 4 foursomes for two time slots which created an instant log jam. Took just over 5 hours to complete, with many shots having to wait 5-10 minutes. Again, not blaming the course for this, seems like it was an issue with golf now given the golf now tee time was 6:40 and when we got there we learned that’s not even a tee time for the course.

Chaos

We showed up for our morning tee time and there was a crowd of people standing around the clubhouse. We went to check in for our tee time and were told there’s no carts available (even though we prepaid for them) and that the course was running over an hour behind.

Commented on 08/10/2020

Hello and thanks for the review. We see you rated the course 1-star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very serious at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Turnberry Country Club.

Village of Lakewood, Illinois