Dwight Country Club

Year Built 1913
Fairways Blue
Greens Bent

Credit Cards Accepted None

Course is in good shape considering all the flooding they had.

Course was in pretty good condition for this early in the season staff was friendly and helpful. Will play there again

Very nice time

First time to play this course. Very nice course with lots of nice trees. Fairways are open and in good shape with many different contours giving you interesting shots. Many holes have a creek running through the fairway to keep you honest. Greens are fairly small and were very fast. Hard to hit and hard to stay on when you do. Putting is a challenge due to the contours of the greens. I enjoyed the course and will be going back soon.

Illinois Advisor

Worth the drive/Very good value

Dwight is in nice condition this season....very green with all the rains....the greens are still really hard. The greens are running decently (not too fast) so the 1st and 10th greens especially you don't have to worry about being above the hole as much. This is a quirky old schooler that's unusual that it ends with 7 par 4's. Read my previous review from last May 2016 for good tips/description. Always a good value....at least 3.5 stars and yesterday it was 4 stars (except for the usual 7 somes of members who play in the morning.....the course allows their members to play 5/6/7/8/9 somes every time I've been there and they usually don't let anyone play through them) and this time the grounds keeper mowing the grass 100pct ignored us because we weren't members and just kept mowing even though he was only 20 feet away from us trying to putt in peace on the green. Usually a 3.5 hour round.... sometimes you have to jump around the course a little and avoid their large group members (and just play that hole later).

In Decent Shape for time of year

3rd time playing this year....and do recommend this track. This summer wasn't favorable for the fairways of Dwight CC. Very patchy and inconsistent.....some really wet areas....and some wet patches around green sites. Tee boxes are hit and miss. Greens rolled very well with very fast downhillers (no aeration as of 10/15) but a couple of them were really chewed up with old incorrectly repaired ball marks or rough patches (17th green in particular was in pretty rough shape - a shame because it's one of the best designed old school short par 4's that I've ever seen). Dwight is a very fun old school course with a decent layout...see my previous review. Good prices on beverages. Folks in the clubhouse are very nice and welcoming. $18 rate w/cart for rest of the season - for a weekend day the round was a very good value.

Issues I have with this place (I've seen/experienced all 3 times I've played) is that many of their members with their own tricked up golf carts play 5 somes and sometime even 6 somes and also play extremely slowly. While I can't fault them for thinking that they "own" the course because they are members they do treat other non member players with a visable "distain" don't even say hi or smile (or even acknowledge you to play through when it's patently obvious that they should....you idiots are playing a six-some and are clueless as to why people are on top of your group all the time??). Also all 3 times this year there's been at least one single player driving all over the place playing holes all over the course and pressing public groups and even driving up to them or around them while putting or taking shots. Almost like he's doing it on purpose and probably is.

I was single yesterday however I played in 2.5 hours (skipping a half a hole to play through an extremely poorly playing turtle crawl member six some - taking 3rd and 4th shots from 60 yards on an under 400 yard par 4) who refused to say hi or even acknowledge that I was alive on the 14th hole) and for most of my round was actually pressed hard by another single - a member behind me who after finishing the 18th was teeing it up again on the 1st hole before I even reached my car. Weird and extremely disconcerting. Dropping off my cart after the round I ran into one of their new members....really nice guy (his 1st year as a member at the course) who pretty much confirmed to me what I've said above. A lot of slow poor playing members with an "attitude" with 5/6 somes and member wackos driving all over the course. I'd give the place close to 4 stars overall but it's really like a 2.5 star place because of the attitude/acumen of some Dwight's members.....I guess they don't realize that every John Q Public they run off will cause their membership fees to go up or better yet maybe the course will just close on them due to lack of outside play. Hope that doesn't happen because Dwight is a really cool rough around the edges old schooler.....there aren't many of them left. Maybe the friendly folks in clubhouse (I've always been cheerily welcomed) will remind their members of that.

Nice layout

It was raining when we go to the course. Staff was very friendly and very nice. I would play this course again...

Best round of the summer

Beautiful day. Course in good condition for all of the rain in the area over the last two weeks. Golf now makes any course even better.

I'd play it again

Worth the money. A few challenging holes. The greens were inconsistent with the front 9 fairly fast the back 9 way too slow. Fairways OK tee boxes need work only 1 sand trap. Ball placement important with trees/water on many holes.

Tough greens

We were driving from Ky to Chicago for a wedding and booked online. Running late, we called the course and they were so nice "do not worry about it, start when you get here". We got there late, was hungry, so decided to try the food. It was outstanding, and the friendly atmosphere really made it good. Quantity as well as quality was good...........so try the food and beverages.
We then went to play the course. Greens are smaller than a "postage stamp". Course is made difficult by the greens, speed, et. They are not unplayable, but you had better watch what you are doing, when you approach any green.
I highly recommend this course, the food, friendly people, just everything.

Wonderful Quirky Old Schooler

Putting surfaces were in awesome condition and quick. First timer and will definitely return. My "find" so far of this 2016 golf season. Upon our arrival just turning into the parking lot were were greeted by a happy dog who then in turn directed us to our parking space. A really nice first impression!

Just 20 minutes south of Cinder Ridge GC on I-55 you'll discover a 103 year old course that retains it's old school charm with plenty of hills/dales/trees/a river that runs through it and excellent design bones. Both of the par 5's on the front nine provide plenty of challenge....the wide open 554 yd 8th requires 3 very well struck shots to reach the dance floor. Only one sand trap left of the 9th green and course really doesn't need more. Both the 1st and 10th holes short par 4's require placed tee shots as left in the fairway as possible....and both holes feature extremely crowned greens...the 10th in particular is a challenging up hill approach. An unusual back nine scorecard par 35 (all par 4's, one par 3) the lone back nine short hole 11th at just over 100 yards is uphill to a bowl-like postage stamp green guarded by old oak trees up the right side and has an added bonus that you get to preview this entire hole driving from the 10th green. The short downhill 290 yd 17th's defense is a small thin 25 to 30 ft wide sliver of a green with drop offs on both sides....quirky yet most wonderful. The long dog leg left finishing hole around and over the river is also guarded by an elevated lake on the left side to a two tiered green cut in the hillside is beautiful/awesome scorecard wrecker (I remarked to my playing partner it reminded me of Riverside CC)......a most challenging finish to a very nice surprise find. My only criticism of the layout is that there are only two very short wedge/9 iron par 3's...9th and 11th and the 200 yd up hill 5th hole. 4 stars trending to 4.5 stars....not "pristine" but very well maintained and well run operation.

Highly recommend....it's worth the drive from Chicago or the burbs to get in a play or two. A 3 hour mid-morning weekday round.

Upon our return may we honored to have the same "host"/welcome dog greet us again in the parking lot....bring a biscuit...he likes them and may ride in the cart with you to the first tee if requested.

Nice course in the middle of nowhere

My wife and I really enjoyed the course...a little wet from rain but was still playable. Tough greens made it challenging.

course condition

course was in good condition overall. some spots were being seeded from heavy rains in the spring.

Open and fun

Recent rains may have softened it some but I found the course fairways relatively easy to hit and open as long as you choose the right club off the tee. I played as a single and starter sent me off on the back which was great and played in 2 hours. Greens receptive, looked a little fuzzy and slow but they were anything but. They did have grain however so you had to read that into the putt. Very enjoyable round.

For as much as we've had, course in great shape

Played here the other day. Made a reservation on golf now for less than half the daily rate. With all the rain we have had this course was in much better shape than most that I have played in the last month. Other than it being hot, the course was in good shape. Greens were still super fast.

Still an excellent course

As I read the reviews, I often wonder... Did you play Dwight? Narrow fairways? Easy birdie opportunities? Unchallenging greens? Not now, nor have I ever felt that way when playing Dwight. Haven't played here in 15 years, but it is as challenging and as well kept as it ever was. Plenty of trouble to get into for an intermediate golfer, and I'm OK with the lack of sand. Greens are extremely fast and challenging for me since none of them are flat. Most are slightly domed and very easy to turn a 10 foot putt into another 10 foot putt on the other side of the pin. Excellent course, extremely well kept, and well worth the greens fees.

good value

Not a great course but for $30 it was definitely worth it.

Pontiac, Illinois