Canal Shores Golf Course

Caddies: No
GPS: No

Driving range: No

Location is convenient to the city   Great for beginners junior golfers walkers   Challenges include narrow fairways

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2018

This. Course is horrendous, it’s difficult to locate, shares a small parking lot with three other entities. The rough looked liked a unkept mess. The greens were not well maintained but the most disturbing aspects were the hole location markers were so hidden that most of the players couldn’t find the appropriate holes. The course intertwineds through the Evanston neighborhoods which requires you to cross multiple intersections with on coming traffic, unbelievable!!

Course Layout: Poor

Response from #CanalShores on 06/04/2018:

We appreciate your feedback on our neighborhood golf course and are sorry to hear that it did not suit your style of play.

"Awesome track"

Twhaller's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2018
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

I have played here many times, and I always love it. Every time I come back I feel like it gets better, and I love some of the changes they're making. The staff is always super friendly. Although this course is pretty short, it's extremely narrow, and is a great place to work on your iron shots. If you're looking for a fun track that you can finish in a couple of hours, then I suggest you make your way to Canal Shores!

Response from #CanalShores on 06/04/2018:

Thank you for rating us 5-stars, Twhaller! We are glad you enjoy playing the Gem in Your Backyard and appreciate your recommendation!

"Got my moneys worth"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

Great course for a the average golfer, no pressure, can get through a round quickly and very affordable. Despite the 45 minuet drive from my house I would definitely play here again.

Response from #CanalShores on 04/26/2018:

Thank you for making the trip out to the Gem! We appreciate you sharing your experience and hope you will make the drive again!

Shep9350669's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2017

Response from #CanalShoresGolfCourse on 11/05/2017:

Thank you for your feedback on your round, Shep. We hope you enjoyed your visit and will give us another try to see all of the great work our community is helping us put into the course!

"Opportunity knocks for Canal Shores"

TeeItUpAllYear's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2017

Kudos to the Evanston-Wilmette community for trying to make this a better course. Still have a LONG way to go. Greens in great shape. Other parts of the course (tees and fairways/rough) not maintained well compared to municipal courses in the Chicago area.

Saw one person on staff (in the Pro Shop) the entire time we were there. No ranger to monitor pace of play or control people just walking onto the course and play without paying or checking in. Wouldn't care, except it really slows down (what should be 2.5 hours) a round of golf. Course had eight holes closed off - were not told when we booked the tee time a few days in advance, no sign or communication of it when we checked in and paid for a full round. Found out when we got to the first tee box.

Will be a long time if and when we play this cours again. Has potential- but we were really disappointed on how things went. Lots of better options for short courses in the area.

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 10/11/2017:

Thank you for coming out to play Canal Shores and for your feedback on your round. We have a great community that has been working hard to make improvements to our course all season, and we have more big changes coming in 2018! We hope you will come back and see all of the upgrades we make!

"Canal shores is spectacular"

nhlaverick's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/01/2017

This course is a beautiful family friendly course. It is a narrow little course through a residential neighborhood. This is the perfect place to work on your iron game and really dial them in. The greens are challenging which makes a this course harder then it looks. Overall would recommend it to others for sure.

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 10/03/2017:

Thank you for your five-star review! We're glad you enjoyed another great round at Canal Shores, and we hope to see you at our Bluegrass on the Greens event on Friday!

Daryl6703122's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 09/26/2017:

Hi Daryl, thank you for playing Canal Shores and for your feedback on your round. A part of our ongoing fundraising efforts all go back to help make improvements around the course, and we appreciate your feedback from your experience to help improve the experiences of others!

"Great Green not to Big not to small"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2017

This course good for control the ball.

Hole 16 &17 my number/birdy .

Thanks

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 09/12/2017:

Thank you for your review!

"Unique and so much fun"

Par5in4's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2017

Fabulous, fun, and fast!! Teed off at 6:45 and done by 9:15. This is such a unique and interesting track. I have been playing it once a week this whole season and it keeps getting better. The efforts that the new superintendent and his crew have put into the course this year are reaping huge rewards. It looks and plays better than anytime in the last five years, by miles.. Cheap golf but not cheap on scenery or fun (Bahai'i temple on 6 and 7, tee shots over water on 9 and 16). Dog came and stole my ball off the 11th green and I could not have cared less,(owner was very apologetic) They do an amazing job with Junior golf and are super active in community development. Go support Canal Shores please

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 08/24/2017:

Thank you for sharing your great experience at Canal Shores, Par5in4! We're glad that all of the work we've done around the course has not gone unnoticed! We appreciate your support and hope we will see you again soon!

"CSGC"

RaymondJuskus's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017

I had fun playing this course today that's in the very small nichè market of courses that most golfer's I think call executive golf courses, so if you'd like to golf executively golf at CSGC.

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 08/03/2017:

Thank you for rating Canal Shores five stars, Raymond! We're glad you enjoyed our course!

James1606020's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 07/26/2017:

Hi James, Thank you for coming out to play Canal Shores. We appreciate your feedback on your round, and hope that some of our unique play options and great value will change your mind about coming back out to play again!

"Fun!"

briancgcs's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2017

Conditioning continues to improve; unique layout never gets old. Charlie in the golf shop is so friendly! It's great to see the course busy and being enjoyed!!

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 07/18/2017:

Thank you Brian! We're gad you have continued coming out to enjoy Canal Shores!

"Good and getting better!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

The staff is working hard to bring the course to a new level.

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 06/12/2017:

We are trying new things every week! Thank you for reviewing us, and we look forward to you seeing everything we're working on to make it even better!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017
First time playing Walked Hot weather

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 05/22/2017:

Thank you for your review!

"Early season round at "the gem in the neighborhood""

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

Had a last minute urge to get out for a round on a warm Sunday afternoon and grabbed a time teeing off in 15 minutes. Only Canal Shores offers a fun and fast round for golfers in Evanston and surrounding villages short on time. 18 charming holes wind through the residential neighborhoods with some tight drives and challenging carries over the banks of the aforementioned canal. Course is in great shape and will be back for another loop soon.

Response from Canal Shores Golf Course on 04/25/2017:

We're glad you didn't fight the urge to play last weekend! Thank you for choosing Canal Shores and for leaving a great review!

"Course needs a lot of work"

Marvin7050968's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/31/2016

The golf course is in need of a lot of work from the greens to drainage problems

"Fun experience / interesting layout / but where's the mower ??"

Tim6200562's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2016

Found this course online at a fantastic price. We were looking for a low price and walkable round, so took the bait to try it out, to also enjoy the beautiful Fall weather .

The gentleman at the desk couldn't have been friendlier, even walking us out to show us where the 1st tee was, and explained the unusual layout. Super service !!

The track was easily walkable , but still was a good hike. All holes had unique features, and the greens on the whole were in a whole lot better shape than a much more expensive Muni we played the day before.

The course is also clearly the neighborhood's exercise playground, as we encountered several dog walking couples, only one of which was dumb/inconsiderate enough to walk down the middle of the fairway ( which however did provide and motivate me with a moving target to try and hit, lol ).

At the "clubhouse", there is a local dude selling used balls . My first thought was "why do I need more balls for a 3-par course?" , so declined his offer to browse his selections. After playing 2 holes though, it was clear that he was offering a public service, as the grass on EVERY hole was "2nd cut rough" length - holy cow , either the mower has been broken for the past month, or the guy driving it has gone AWOL. The net effect was you had to keep an eagle eye on every shot you made , especially the ones you striped down the middle, as your chances of finding your ball were equally tough, no matter where you hit it . Very frustrating, and it'll be literally impossible in 2 weeks when all the leaves come down !

On the whole though , an enjoyable day, and we'd suggest you give the Canal a try ( just be sure and shop the ball dude before you start !)

"Interesting way of fitting a course into a urban area"

pjdwyer's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Average weather

Chick Evans was closed due to heavy rain the night before, so in a pinch we decided to try this one out. The conditions were fair that day because of the rain, but definitely manageable. But man, was it HOT AND HUMID that day.

I have to applaud the architect for managing to fit a full 18-hole course into the area, because it was probably not easy at all. The entire course is built along North Shore Channel (Chicago River) with lots of straight forward holes. You take a tee shot over the river twice which is neat. Pretty good beginner course and good for the value.

"they keep trying"

u000004191453's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Peter Jans has been renamed Canal Shores . . .. which is what we have called it for decades , ,, , it's narrow and OB lurks almost everywhere .. . have always had a blast there even though the conditions have been historically rugged . .. yesterday the terrific surprise was that all the greens had been redone and were in excellent / pristine condition . .. soccer playing kids and local deer had not beaten them up again !! I love Canal Shores but wish they still called it Peter Jans

"Challenging narrow course"

hgartzman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Since Tom Tulley starting working here the course has improved immensely. The greens and fairways are in excellent condition. The course is short, mostly long par 3's, but difficult because it is narrow and the greens are small. It's a great place to bring your young golfer as the course is rarely crowded. Walking the course takes about 3 hours or a little over.