Also known as Evanston/Wilmette Comunity Golf Course. Previously known as Peter N. Jans Community Golf Course.

Canal Shores (Evanston-Wilmette) Golf Course

Year Built 1922

Junior Golfers 8

Commented on 07/20/2020

Thank you for leaving 4 stars! We love hearing from you and are glad you had a good experience. We would love the opportunity to bump those 4 stars to 5. We hope you will come back soon so we can wow you on your next visit.

Commented on 07/20/2020

First time out this year

Course is short and tight. Nice for walking rather than riding.

Neighborhoods

The course layout, thru the neighborhoods is fantastic.

Commented on 07/20/2020

Wow - Thank you for the five star review! We are happy to have exceeded your expectations. We love hearing from you and are glad you had a great experience. We look forward to having you back again soon!

Commented on 07/27/2020

Scenic and walkable

I’m not a beginner golfer but I’ve only recently started playing often enough to work on consistency. I try to get out once a week and I live in Evanston where this course is located.

If you are at my level, bring a lot of balls, because you will lose a lot of balls. It’s a pretty narrow course, but it is worth it. It’s so enjoyable to play a course that is essentially going through the neighborhood. It heads north toward the Bahá’í House of Worship and turns around and goes south weaving across back and forth the canal with the CTA train coming through. I thought the holes would be much shorter but there are plenty of Par 4 holes to play. Gold carts are really expensive and pull carts are free. There is a simple warm up are at the first hole. Permits are given out for parking.

Commented on 07/08/2020

Sprinklers, mowing, dead greens

I play here early to get rounds in before work on weekdays very frequently and between 6-7:30am there are sprinklers on and flooding greens/creating pools of water around the greens. Also, there are multiple people mowing fairways and staff mowing greens/moving pin location all while the course is open and in the middle of the round I paid $35 for. Plus, many tee boxes have little grass (just hard packed dirt) and the greens have lumps and dead patches all over them.

Grounds crew is extremely rude and vulgar and don’t care about how much noise they are making or how close they drive to you with their mowers. They definitely don’t care whether you’re trying to hit or not.

I can get past the people walking through the various holes with their dogs off leashes but the rude staff and horrible grounds crew are very disappointing. I’ve played here about 10 times this year as I live close but I don’t know if I’ll be back.

Fun little course although a bit pricey for what it is.

I had a great time playing this course for the first time. Quick pace with very short par 3's (alot on the front 9) I much preferred the holes on the back nine. Some fun par 4's and par 3's alike. I actually got out my driver more than expected and used my woods a good amount on the back nine. The only gripe I have with the course is that there were many people walking on the fairways either on stroll or with their dogs. I understand its a city course and its public but it can certainly be dangerous especially if they aren't paying attention (listening to tunes or talking on the phone) Overall a great course to practice your short game and its well kept. Its a bit pricey for what the course offers but I understand its ran by non profit. I will certainly be back at some point.

Commented on 07/06/2020

Plays Twice a year

Excellent time

Nothing beats the convenience and cost of Canal Shores. The beauty around you is a bonus. I highly recommend it.

Great round with my 11y/o grandson

We had a great round today. Everyone at the course was masked and social distanced. Relaxed pace of play made it a pleasure to teach my grandson golf etiquette as well as technique.
He did get quite hungry despite snacks and water so it d would be welcome to see the snack shack at hole 9 open for the season.
Course is in the best shape I can remember.
We’ll be back next week.

Commented on 06/23/2020

Mid-week on my home course

The course is in the best shape I can remember. Played hard and fast. Greens were cut and rolled true.
Great walking course and can play easily under three hours.
As good as you can get for the price.

Not worth it

Unless you drastically want to work on your short game this course is not great. I think they just marked a couple holes as par 4s that way it’s not technically a par 3 course. Your money is better spent at a real 18 hole golf course.

Commented on 06/23/2020

Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience. Your satisfaction is a deep concern of ours as we always aim to exceed expectations. Your review will allow us to follow up in areas you voiced concern. If possible, please reach out to us directly so we discuss your review in more detail. We hope you will come back soon so we can wow you on your next visit.

Commented on 06/23/2020

Wow - Thank you for the four star review! We are happy to have exceeded your expectations. We love hearing from you and are glad you had a great experience. We look forward to having you back again soon!

Incredible use of land and budget

I've played this course for many years, and when I stepped on there this weekend, it just felt different. The improvements they have made are incredible, not only in terms of course conditions, but many creative bunkers have been added as well as fescue. This course is very walkable, and I it was amazing seeing how far they have come. A must play!

Commented on 06/16/2020