Also known as Evanston/Wilmette Comunity Golf Course. Previously known as Peter N. Jans Community Golf Course.

Canal Shores (Evanston-Wilmette) Golf Course

Year Built 1922

Junior Golfers 9

A walk in the neighborhood

This convenient community golf course meanders through upscale neighborhoods in Evanston and Wilmette, requires great accuracy, has a view of Lake Michigan, the Bahai Temple, and has more trees and water than most golfers prefer. It's not long but it's very hard, thanks in part to five 180-220 Par 3s. It's not a course for scoring well. And it's in the best physical shape it's every been. Kudos to the non-profit group that runs it (which includes the PGA professional Luke Donald) and the course superintendent..

Commented on 06/08/2020

Thank you for leaving 4 stars! We love hearing from you and are glad you had a good experience. We would love the opportunity to bump those 4 stars to 5. We hope you will come back soon so we can wow you on your next visit.

Always a challenging round

Canal Shores is a favorite of mine because I appreciate these historic local courses. As I play walking through the neighborhoods of Evanston and Wilmette, I think about how the course looked 100 years ago when the first rounds were played.
It is only two blocks from my house but it is never boring to play

Commented on 06/08/2020

Wow - Thank you for the five star review Jim! We are happy to have exceeded your expectations. We love hearing from you and are glad you had a great experience. We look forward to having you back again soon!

how many dogs not on a leash

course was good I will not pay more than $15 for this course I've seen prices for 25 and $35 maybe that's why nobody's there one of the biggest problems was too many dogs walking around not on a leash I have a Rottweiler right next to my bag no leash another one ran up when was about to hit in the tee box Ranger should enforce this before someone gets seriously hurt is this a golf course or dog park

Commented on 06/09/2020

Thank you so much for letting us know about your recent experience. Your satisfaction is a deep concern of ours as we always aim to exceed expectations. We would the opportunity to bump those 3 stars to 5. Please come back soon and allow us to wow you on your next visit! Until then, take care!

Canal Shores review

Very cute course. Parking available and price is right.Greens condition OK. Rough needs cutting. Reservation system a total mess.

Commented on 06/08/2020

Wow - Thank you for the five star review! We are happy to have exceeded your expectations. We love hearing from you and are glad you had a great experience. We look forward to having you back again soon!

Average but Fun Course

The course itself isn't anything special, but it's very unique and scenic.

Little North Shore gem.

This is a tough little course. Very narrow in places, but since it’s been cleaned up (thanks to all the volunteers and staff) more playable than it used to be. Don’t get me wrong. Bring extra balls when you come, because you may lose one or two or three or four.....just sayin’. Being nestled in a NorthShore neighbored makes this track not only pleasant, but interesting pictorially. First time I’ve walked 18 in many years and I’m probably gonna be feeling it tomorrow, but it was worth it.

Unique Course

Great little course that is nestled within a neighborhood. It’s a laid back environment here that has both good points and bad points. Good: friendly Rangers, a tight and challenging layout that requires good iron play, no driver needed and some interesting holes. Bad: the laid back attitude here allows for golfers to share clubs and there are people and dogs walking everywhere. I love dogs but the combination of allowing golfers to share clubs and all the non golfer foot traffic results in slow play at times.

Canal Shores community gem

Canal shores is my home course. Having played there on many occasions I have enjoyed watching it become what it is now. From all the volunteers and to the limited paid staff I would encourage anyone to come tee it up and enjoy the course for all the different features it has.

Great community course

Great to be out and thanks for getting the course in shape after the rain. The new reservation system bites. Let’s bring back the old one.

Commented on 06/01/2020

Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience. Your satisfaction is a deep concern of ours as we always aim to exceed expectations. Your review will allow us to follow up in areas you voiced concern. If possible, please reach out to us directly so we discuss your review in more detail. We hope you will come back soon so we can wow you on your next visit.

Spring Golf at Canal Shores

Course never disappoints. It oozes history and charm from another era. Fairways and greens in pristine condition with tee boxes showing the course is getting a lot of play. Walking helps keep it that way.

Hard work is paying off

Enjoyed a nice round at Canal Shores today, after all the rain. Pace was quick but still lots of water. Course is shaping up nicely, and greens are looking/rolling well.Just hope those who come to practice chip/putt on a green would respect and give right of way to paying patrons. Perhaps more rangers? Keep up the great work—it’s is noticed and appreciated!

Commented on 05/27/2020

Love this course, but.....

I’m a crappy golfer. So for me it’s GREAT! Love the easy casual pace,
Wonderful way to spend some time with my kid. The greens were in excellent condition imho. Rest of the course was intermittently under water, wore my goretex hiking boots which functioned perfectly for the conditions.

Canal Shores

The course was is pretty good shape after 5 plus hour rain storm. I would encourage anyone who is looking to play golf at a great course come play at canal shores

Commented on 05/14/2020