Fox Lake Country Club
Silver 72 6156 yards 70.3 124
Scorecard for Fox Lake Country Club, Inc.
Black M: 71.3/126 323 372 102 424 443 465 494 179 335 3137 340 195 499 326 179 371 302 484 526 3222 6359
Silver M: 70.3/124 316 362 94 415 432 451 483 165 331 3049 326 175 492 306 167 356 293 472 520 3107 6156
Gold W: 71.5/120 309 320 86 357 372 385 399 150 251 2629 306 114 420 306 120 246 284 391 466 2653 5282

Year Built 1925
Fairways Blue Grass
Architect Harry Hall King (1925) Dick Nugent (1973) Ken Killian (1973)

Returning to Form

Always enjoyed playing this course through the 2017 season. It was closed for 2018 when a sale fell through and the course reopened in 2019. It will probably take a year for the course to return to its previous form and no doubt that will happen. This is to be expected anytime a course is left to nature for a year. Staff is friendly and dedicated to making sure the product returns to its previous condition which was excellent. Views from many holes are panoramic and a nice change from the flat layout of many other area courses. Worth a try.

Front 9 in decent shape. Back 9 green were in rough shape.

Beautiful layout

1of my top five favorites, fairways were kept clean , challenging hills and long holes, 2 holes with water, quite a few traps surrounding most holes, there was 2 other groups on the course so it was a joy to take our time and enjoy the vistas

Extremely Slow Play 2hours50mins 9 holes

Need a Marshall to keep pace of play. 2 hours 50 minutes to play back 9 holes

Nice Round

The course looks much easier on paper - the rolling hills and blind shots make it much more challenging. Enjoyed the round but the snack shop wasn't open which was disappointing. Other than that, the course was a fun time.

Pace of play

We had a foursome in front of us that would not let us play through. We were a twosome and playing much quicker until we had to wait on every tee. I said to the ranger that it was extremely slow and just smiled and kept going. Round was close to 5 hours with an open hole ahead of the group in front of us all day.

Not all that great

Played here twice recently. First time bought on line and there was an outing. Took forever to play. Not their fault. I called twice for this past Sunday, three days before and night before and was told "No outing" so purchased on line again. There was another outng. Slow play and rained. Not happy. I felt like they lied to sell tee time.

Customer service needs big time work...

When I'm checking in 35 minutes prior to my assigned tee time, I was told I have to head immediately to the 1st hole and tee off to avoid a league. No warm up just grab it and rip it. Not the way to start a round.

After repairing about 8-10 divots on a green, I made my way back to my cart quickly to get out of the way of the foursome behind me. In a hurry I did walk thru a sand trap. One of the grounds crew drove up and said "just for your information, we use a golf rake here At our club". He did have a point but his tone and choice of words where meant to make me feel cheesy and stupid. While he was correct, after finishing repairing half the green form other golfers neglrlect came at a bad time.

Rounding 9 and going to to 10 I was welcomed by 2 foursomes that were waiting to tee off. So the back 9 was completely full. I was a single so I wasn't going to fit in any whalers. . I thought I'd go to the golf checkin at the clubhouse and see if I could perhaps replay the front 9. When I began to ask the personel at the desk he cut me off and made me move my cart that he felt was parked in the wrong place. He then left the shop and embarrased me again by insisting that he move my cart personally.

At that point the desire of playing golf had escaped me and I just grabbed my clubs and left after playing 9 of the 18 holes I paid for.

When golf is clearly on the downside in terms of attedence I think that this club needs a tune up with regard to staying in business. First off don't post tee times on golfnow in the middle of league play. Treat customers with some sort of dignity and good intent on their part. Be polite not arrogant. It's not pebble beach.

Fox Lake

Course played in 4:40. Should have played quicker. Fair number of duffers slowed play.

First Time There: Pleasantly Surprised

Beautiful course, excellently maintained. I was surprised, a little, by how compressed it is - it's designed extremely efficiently, with a smaller footprint than others, but still with plenty of length.This just added to the fun - you have to hit a straight drive or you'll be in someone else's fairway. I also loved the beauty of the course - it's aged well, with lots of beautiful, mature trees, some of which play a big part in how you approach certain holes. And the hills! Wow. Great course. Loved it. Definitely going back again.

Illinois Advisor

A surprising challenge

Having never played here before or heard anyone else comment on this course, I decided to give it a try on a Monday morning. I'm glad I did. While it may not be the hardest or most challenging course in the suburbs, it gives you a little bit of everything throughout your round.

Right off the bat, the first hole makes you chose whether you want to lay up to 150 yards out, or you want to dry carrying the water hazard to leave yourself a short wedge in. The shot into the green is a blind shot to an elevated green. Other reviewers have criticized the blind shots on this course. To be fair, there are numerous blind shots off the tees and into the greens. Driving or walking ahead to pick out your line and to ensure it is safe to hit is a must. This was definitely lead to slightly longer round times. I don't necessarily see this as a negative. I see it as a way that the course protects par since the tips only measure at 6300-6400 yards.

I'd say half of the holes in this course have character whether they have doglegs, forced carries, elevation changes, strategic bunkering, mature trees, multiple levels in the greens, etc. The other half are straightforward par 4's and 5's with narrow fairways that just seem like you are playing the same hole over and over again. Maybe I'll have to play it again to pick up some of the nuances of these "boring" holes.

The course was in great shape when I played it. The rate for the round was very reasonable compared to other courses in McHenry and Lake counties. The clubhouse was nice and they have a nice little short game practice area. There is no driving range though. Employees were friendly and very helpful.

I was happy that I gave this course a try. While it isn't the longest course, it still is a surprising challenge that can test all aspects of your game.

jake

Yard markers need to be more visible

Plays Twice a year
Poor weather

Believe it or not I was only player on course. 37 degrees and I loved it having course to myself no foursomes ahead of me putting for dough.played course in 2 hours 20 minutes. birdied 15th and 16th hole. beats ice fishing.

Lost Ball Mania

Too many leaves all over. Many lost balls. Quit Addr 11 holes. Bartlett Hills played at 4 days ago had no leaves well groomed. This is a good course just don't go during fall time.
Also super slow on Sunday's. Everyone complaining driving around looking for ther golf all.

Blind Course

Way to many blind shots on the course. Very difficult to see group ahead of you to ensure you were not hitting into them. Thankfully the wasn't a group behind us so we could take an extra couple of minutes to ensure group ahead was not in range.

Why open golf?

Outing held up the course. We quit after 12 holes as holes 6-12 took 3 hours.

This course is awesome

What a great way to spend a day - golfing! This course is worth the play. Loved the challenge of the hilly fairways! The course was busy but never had to wait on anyone.

A must play in Chicago area

If you are in the Chicago area and looking to play a round of golf.....look no further! From the moment I walked into the pro shop I felt like a regular. The other golfers were all friendly (locals and regulars) and quick to offer information. The course was in outstanding condition and the greens were immaculate! The best part of the day besides playing 36 at this gem was meeting the GM/Director of golf, Vince Juarez. This course was smart to employ this gentleman as it's GM. This man was extremely friendly and full of advice about golf in the area. We had a lengthy conversation about golf at his course as well as golf at other vacation locations. If you want to play golf and feel like your at a country club with friends; than look no further than

Fox Lake, Illinois