Style Traditional
Calumet Country Club

Year Built 1917
Architect Donald Ross (1917) Bob Lohmann Larry Packard (1958)

Clubs No

Bar, Grill

Available Activities

Swimming

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Illinois (2019 #20)

Sub 4 hours on a Sunday AM

4some play in less than 4 hours on a Sunday morning with a full tee sheet. Great value and the course was in great condition.

Commented on 09/29/2020

Hi, we appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Calumet Country Club!

Loved It

I had the pleasure of playing Calumet Country Club on 09/16/20 with two other friends. I have always wanted to play this course every time I would drive by it on the expressway. Now I wonder what took me so long? I am a sucker for old school layouts and Calumet did not disappoint. I loved the well-defined boarders of the fairways, rough and “fall offs” around the greens. The greens were not extremely fast but rolled nicely. There was one green that could use some TLC, but that did not deter my enjoyment of the day. Some of the par threes and fours have some length to them and are no pushovers. The staff was very nice. All three of us enjoyed the course and will definitely be back.

Commented on 09/21/2020

Hi Peter. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Calumet Country Club!

Highly Recommend

Beautiful course! Pace of play was great. Overalll layout and tide ness of course was amazing. Definitely adding this to my list of courses to return. Great staff as well Max at the proshop was very helpful!

Commented on 09/14/2020

Wow, we are so happy you enjoyed your round, Clarence! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Not played today due to heavy rain and asked us to walk Would not give us carts to ride even though our tee time fee included cart
So we cancelled as we are seniors and unable to walk due to our health conditions

Commented on 09/09/2020

Hello, thanks for the review. We see you rated the course 1 star. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course, and we always appreciate the feedback. For further resolution in this matter, please reach out to our team in the golf shop. We look forward to hearing back from you Calumet Country Club.

Donald Ross scores a hit!

The layout is excellent, especially the front nine. Staff is extremely friendly. There are a few condition issues, especially some of the forward tees, the practice putting green, and the driving range. All victims of the hot weather and lack of rain. But the greens and fairways were very nice. Only food are hamburgs and hot dogs right off the grill and the hamburgs were excellent. Snacks and drinks in the pro shop. The clubhouse is closed except for the bathrooms. The course is for sale and that would explain some of the conditions. Worth the two for Tuesday deal.
May not be there next year so get your round in now.

Commented on 09/09/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review us! Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Calumet Country Club thanks you!

Commented on 09/08/2020

Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Calumet Country Club.

Perfect

Course is well kept, great time golfing best round I played in a long time. This course is amazing and I would 100% buy a membership here to play all the time. Price is great and best golf around. Check out Calumet country club for your next course to play!

Commented on 09/08/2020

Hello! We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us 5 stars. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the pristine course conditions. We work hard to provide an exceptional experience, and it's very satisfying to hear from golfers like you who appreciate our efforts. We will inform the entire team so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back Calumet Country Club!

Fun Layout but needs some TLC

My first time playing this course I was pleasantly surprised by the challenging layout. The fairways for the most part were in decent condition given the drought conditions area has been suffering for last 6 weeks. Appreciated getting some balls for the driving range for free since most clubs charge extra.

Issues:
Tee boxes were more crabgrass than grass
Driving range did not have much grass, but i think this is unique to the COVID situation where play is increasing
Expressway noise was sometimes overwhelming
Bunkers could use a little TLC. Many of the bunkers were raked but only the top 1/2” or so. Bunkers in the area seemed to get less attention as the season went on.
Facilities in general seemed a little dated for a country club.
Lack of carts. One of our carts and cart in front seemed to have transmission or charge issues.
No USB ports for phones.

For the $75 the group felt we could get more for the money elsewhere.

Commented on 09/09/2020

Hello Bill. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff. Thanks for visiting us!

Commented on 09/08/2020

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed during your round. Thanks for choosing Calumet Country Club!

Surprised

I played here 6 weeks ago and half the greens were borderline unplayable. I really loved the layout and the staff has always been kind accommodating so I figure with most tee times booked on a holiday weekend I would give it a shot.

Conditions are night and day from what I played prior. Greens rolled nice fairways are nice there were a few bad patches on the tee boxes and small areas in the greens. Other than that I would say the value is fully there. Glad to see this management cares for the course. Would be a shame to lose a course like this.

photo.jpg
Commented on 09/29/2020

NOTE - this user has two reviews and the other review is for this same course 2 days later......give it little credence. See my review a day prior to this. Way more representative.

Commented on 09/08/2020

Hello! We are beyond happy to hear you enjoyed a great day at our course. Positive experiences make lifelong golfers. We look forward to many good times ahead with you. We will pass on your kind words to those responsible so they can continue to help others enjoy great experiences at Calumet Country Club.

Commented on 09/08/2020

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to review the course. Please tell us more. The way you have provided your feedback does not offer us any room to grow or change. We encourage you to update your review to fit a more constructive form so we can use your experience to make changes. Thanks for playing Calumet Country Club.

Great golf course!

Great layout! Busy but played fast! Staff was great and very friendly! Highly recommend playing this course! Thanks to Max and the rest of the staff!

Commented on 09/08/2020

Thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Calumet Country Club.

Illinois Advisor

Very Reluctantly Recommed - Will Calumet CC even be open in 2021??

First off a note to course management - no need to send one of your canned responses to this review. It won't get me to return this season regardless of what you say. I was fortunate to book one of your times for $39 per player (plus another $15 to share a cart) on your website and I know that was the cheapest rate of anyone that day.....others paid much more than $54.....many as much as $75. You probably had a number of unhappy golfers as the course and amenities in its current condition is probably $40/$45 at most w/cart.

All the employees working there were friendly outgoing and pleasant. They really desire to have a good experience. It's not their fault.....the fault lies with the overall cost to play the course, the current condition of the greens and lack of facilities available during the pandemic. They also don't have enough golf carts to rent out when busy as most John Q Publics want to ride versus walk.

Checking at the pro shop please note that if you want to rent a motor cart they don't take cash....just a credit card. $15 to share a cart, $20 if you want your own....all the times they offer on line are walking only.....and if you're playing mid-afternoon you can be out of luck until a cart comes in. You can buy beverages there but again credit only. The only other area open are the bathrooms up stairs in the clubhouse bar area. That men's room was an absolute mess...it's only one stall and stank to high heaven no ventilation. The only other "rest area" is a porta potty on course and my playing partner said that was a mess as well. On a very busy Friday pre holiday they did have a gal grilling dogs/burgers/brats at the turn...but if you don't make the turn during a normal lunchtime you're out of luck. They also had a beverage cart out.....only saw her on the 1st tee and later when she drove by us when we were on the 4th hole.....did not see her the rest of the day.

A nice perk are that range balls are included. Downgrade the range is all divots and crabgrass. Very uneven practice surface. Practice putting green was closed. I think I know why. If you paid $75 to play and went to the putting green and hit a few putts.......many would be very tempted to walk back in the clubhouse and demand a refund.....and call nearby Ravisloe on their cell phone to see if they had any availability.

The greens yesterday were the SLOWEST I've played all season. It harkened back to when the course opened in 1901. A stimp of maybe eight and you had to hammer every putt just to get it moving. Should have been playing with hickories. Some of the greens have "rot" issues in areas and are very uneven. Many bouncing wandering putts.... you had little fear....several putts above the hole that normally would be really difficult. Not this day. The slowness did allow the superintendent to put a few flags in places where they could never put them if the greens were in remotely decent shape and rolling well.

I last played Calumet in September of 2018 when they first opened for a "member for the day" campaign and I gave it very high praise in a review you can look up below. Now from what I can tell it has completely morphed into a decent public muni course in less than 2 years. Par 3 tee boxes littered with tees and tees pounded into the ground in the tee box. Divots not repaired or filled in the fairways and fresh ball marks all over the place the greens that aren't repaired. It's a crying shame John Q doesn't take care of the place. Given what the greens fees are....many might just get an attitude given the conditions of putting surfaces. The fairways/roughs and sand traps are maintained very well. The freeway noise is very loud and annoying in a number of areas of the golf course.

Whomever it was whose bright idea was to switch the nines (and reroute the now back nine slightly) after I played it should be let go. The now front nine is the jewel of the golf course...a tremendously challenging splendid routing....a stretch that you might say could be one of the very best in Chicagoland old school golf........while the current back nine is okay.....it really should be played first as it's a major let down from the quality of those holes on the west side of the property. Most don't realize they are not even playing the course the way the members played it when it was 100pct private.

At the current time I have a "reluctantly recommend" on Calumet......because who knows....this may be Calumet's swan song (just like Joliet CC went away last year). If you haven't played Calumet and you're an avid Chicago land golfer you should play it this fall in case it does go away. I really hope it doesn't. Get a hot deal or the best rate they offer on line. If you're a senior I think you can play for $45 w/cart on Mondays....a "decent" but not great value....because you have to gird yourself for some very uneven unexpected putting conditions.

DO NOT PLAY

Do not play the course they had no carts unprofessional staff wanted me to walk the course and bring me a cart later I am 56 years old I work on my feet all day I've had two hernias nobody was behind us a manager starts telling us to walk the course to meet us out there with carts I cannot carry my own bag the loudest course I've ever played greens are horrible looks like some fungus or something on there and the porta potty was the grossest I've ever seen in my life I feel sorry for any woman so much for a Covid sanitation look like it hadn't been cleaned in a year don't waste your time or money

Commented on 09/02/2020

Hello and thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game and will use your comments as guidance to make the necessary improvements. Thank you for playing Calumet Country Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Good course, no longer deserves CC status

Golf course throughout was in decent shape. Most of the greens and fairways were good, but a couple of spots on greens and fairways made play much more difficult.
The layout was good with trees lining the fairways and a variety with the Par 3's.
If you are expecting this to play like a country club, you will be mistaken. But, it is still good for the money if you can find a discounted rate.

Commented on 08/27/2020

Your feedback is important to us! Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Calumet Country Club.

Disappointed

I normally would not write a negative review about a golf course because I am aware of the challenges that they face to keep conditions at a premium, but the quality of the greens here were some of the worst that I have seen anywhere over the last few seasons. Burnt out patches on most of them, and most don’t look like they’ve been mowed in a week. I understand it is difficult, but please provide us with playable greens before anything else. With that said, I hope this course is able to continue to improve, because it is fun, classical design that give golfers an idea how golf courses were in the past

Commented on 08/24/2020

Hi, thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Great South Suburban course

Great course for the money and a must play on the south side.

Commented on 08/26/2020

We're glad you enjoyed your 5-star experience with us! Please comment or reach out to our team in the golf shop to let us know more about your round!

Commented on 08/17/2020

Hi and thank you for visiting us at Calumet Country Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Great Ross Classic

This is a historic course and should be preserved.
Please show your support and don't let this
become a warehouse

Overall Rating*-
I will give it 4
A nice Ross design.
There are not many available to the public.
Pace Of Play - Excellent ! 3 1/2 hours for 18 !!
played at a slow time

Course Conditions - I have read the previous posts.
The staff did mention that there were some problems earlier in the year but they have been working to resolve this.I will say that the greens were in better shape last year.

Staff Friendliness - High praise to the staff in the Pro shop this day. Pleasant, friendly, and honest. Didn't experience any of the other staff.

Value For The Money -
I will give it OK.
I'd like to see some spend on the conditions for this price point. I'm willing to pay a little more to support the course and hope it remains in business
Course Layout -
The routing gets confusing if you haven't played here
There are signs, but I still mixed up 15/18.

The par 3's are some of the toughest combined play in the area. Long, over water, and bunkered well. Only made 1 par this day on the par 3's

Very walk able course, flat terrain and greens and tees are close the each other.

Off-Course Amenities -
I was disappointed there was no bev cart service while I was here. There may have been some earlier, but not at my tee time. There was a grill going with dogs and burgers at the turn. To be honest, I didn't come to hang out. Just wanted to support the course and enjoy it.
I have been inside for a drink, it's OK.

Commented on 08/19/2020

Hi Sam. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Calumet Country Club.

Great round

Great historic course. Mostly great condition. Few patches on greens

Commented on 08/24/2020

Hi, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Calumet Country Club.

Homewood, Illinois