Type Public/Municipal

Prairie Bluff Golf Course in Lockport stretches across 237 acres of gently rolling hills covered with native prairie grass. The course has a links-style layout that can play much tougher depending on the wind speed that day. Overall though, the course is player friendly enough for any skill level. The layout is open with few trees and the fairways are wide and forgiving, taking away some of the intimidation provided by the bordering rough. There is also water on the golf course, but the hazards that come into play aren't overly strenuous. You can still expect some challenges from the minimal but strategically placed bunkering. Besides the golf course, Prairie Bluff is known as one of the area's hidden gems for its outstanding restaurant, which is known especially for the barbecue brisket.

Prairie Bluff Golf Course

Year Built 1998
Architect Andy North (1998) Roger Packard (1998) Greg Martin (2012)

Practice Hole Yes

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Illinois (2016 #19)

are you kidding me????????

On a beautiful Sunday afternoon, the heartless jerks that run this place kick us off the course because we brought a few beers in our bag. We were on the fourth hole, keeping pace, respecting the cart path only rules, etc. I've been playing golf my whole life and have never, ever had this happen. What a bunch of complete d-bags!! I will never play there again. They could have just told us to pour it out and we would have had no objection. Even the ranger that kicked us off said he and his buds always bring a cooler.

Commented on 10/07/2019

Hello, thank you so much for the 5-star rating of your round with us! Please book another round with us again soon at Prairie Bluff Public Golf Club!

This course was clean Fair and
Nice. A can’t miss course
Before Winter.

Commented on 09/26/2019

Hi, thanks for the great review of your round at Prairie Bluff Golf Course! We love hearing about our golfers experiences and hope to have you back again soon!

Illinois Advisor

Quality Golf Every time

I have played Prairie Bluff roughly a dozen times over the years at various times during the year. Conditions have always been good from tee to green and the staff has always been kind, courteous and helpful.

Notable this time around were the greens.Our group found them to be in excellent condition for mid September. Nicely cut and rolled. Firm and true. Couldn't ask for any better really. The clubhouse has a full service restaurant with everything you could want in a relaxed atmosphere. It's a great place to hang out after a round.

It's always good to know that when you go to Prairie Bluff, you're going to get quality golf every time.
Well done to all at Prairie Bluff for doing things right!

Commented on 09/19/2019

Hello, Eric. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us 5 stars. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your recent round with us and the pristine conditions of our course. We work hard to provide an exceptional experience, and it's very satisfying to hear from golfers like you who appreciate our efforts. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back again soon at Prairie Bluff Public Golf Club!

Well maintained, LUSH green rough and fairways

Awesome links course that stretches out to 7,000+ yards from the tips. We were second group out at 7:30am and we were a twosome. We followed a foursome and they were nice and fast. We finished in 3 hours and 5 mins! Fantastic pace for foursome in front of us!

Lots of neat elevation changes, couple tee shots to semi-targeted landing spots. Good drivers of the ball should score well on this course. If you can hit 230-250 yds straight you will/should score well from white tees. Adjust yards up for further tee boxes.

We will definitely definitely play here again. Lots of caring maintenance staff out there. Rangers were out there as well. Course in EXCELLENT shape. So very lush GREEN rough and green everywhere. Gem for a park district course, wow!

Commented on 09/19/2019

Hello, chicagoster. Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate your recent round with us! We're glad you found the pace of play during your round excellent. We work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and to best control pace allowing everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We are glad to see you also rated the course conditions and our staff to be great during your game. Thank you for playing Prairie Bluff Public Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Great condition and a good challenge

The course is in really good shape. Picturesque in parts. The fairways are quite wide but if you go off them then the deep rough is chest high so say goodbye to your ball. So it's fair but very unforgiving in that respect. Unlike many public courses in the area the bunkers are actually sand and you can play a proper bunker shot. Has a nice bar and patio. this was my first time there and I will definitely be going back.

Commented on 09/09/2019

Scott, thank you for taking the time to rate your recent round with us. We are very pleased to see that we were able to provide you with the 5-star experience we strive for! We hope that you are able to come back again for another amazing time with us at Prairie Bluff Golf Course! We'll see you on the course soon!

Pleasantly surprised

Very nice course with more than just flat and straight holes. Not extremely hard by any means but much better than your normal run of the mill course. Will be back.

Commented on 09/03/2019

Hi, we appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back again soon at Prairie Bluff Public Golf Club!

Wet and Windy!

Today marked my first visit to the course, and I knew today's conditions would be a bit iffy following heavy AM thunderstorms that dumped a ton of rain on the course.

While I didn't score as low as I would have liked for my first visit, the course left a good impression on me. There are some nice holes with subtle elevation changes for a course in the Chicagoland area. The most difficult aspect of the course today was the wind intensity that picked up after about 6 or 7 holes, and remained a challenging factor due to the wide open layout of the course. While I thought the greens were smooth and rolled fairly true, my two playing partners advised that most of their previous visits had experienced the greens rolling to a much faster degree.

I look forward to returning here in the future to post a number in the 70s rather than my disappointing performance today!

Great conditions

Played on a day with 25 mph gusts that made it very, very challenging. The course was in very good condition and would like to return on a less windy day.

Love this course

This course has very good greens and is always playable rain or shine

The course was in great shape. Challenging holes.

Pleasantly Surprised

The grass was spectacular. Everywhere I looked, I saw beautifully manicured grass. Great grass equals great play. Love this place.

Commented on 08/13/2019

Hi, thank you for leaving us with a review! We are thrilled to hear you love the course and are excited to have you back again soon!

One of these best link course in the area

The only way i can describe this course: BEAUTIFUL

Eddy P

I love prairie bluff always in good condition they
In good conditions

Nice track, bit pricey for the location

Course conditions were nice, well maintained. No major issues. Clubhouse is decent, food was good and overall a great place to play.

Great track for a park district course

Great layout, challenging but fair. Would be great to have a few more obstructions/bunkers to add to the challenge. Fairways were in great shape, greens are among the best in the area. They are firm, healthy, roll true and free of divots and ball marks.

Club house is really nice. Food looked decent. Pace was a bit slow the day we played.

Commented on 08/06/2019

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Prairie Bluff Public Golf Club.

Commented on 07/22/2019

Hello, thank you for your 5-star rating! Please book another round with us soon at Prairie Bluff Public Golf Club!

Great value

The course is always in good shape and has a variety of tees to accommodate all golfers. Played early AM so pace was not an issue. For under $40 it’s a great value.

Commented on 07/18/2019

Hi Hackamungus. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Prairie Bluff Public Golf Club.

Perfect condition for golf

Early Tee Time was great b4 the heat course in great shape a bit slow play I enjoyed the course I’ll be back

Commented on 07/16/2019

Hi, we appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back!

Romeoville, Illinois