Old Orchard Country Club

Year Built 1932
Fairways Blue Grass
Greens Blue Grass

Nice layout- great value

Enjoyed the layout and approach shots into the greens. This is a nice looking course with fair fairways and greens. The rough is tough, the fairway bunkers are well placed and the water hazards are very fair.
Our pace of play was good. I’d only suggest a better cleaning of geese debris around the course.

Course management needs to raise their game

I live a mile and a half from this course. Play it 15 times a year for 6 straight seasons. The amenities are fine, and have improved. The course layout has always been good and the course has been known as a diamond in the rough since I was a kid. It was always known as immaculately manicured, and the local country club tried to poach the greens crew for years. But the course itself has really gone downhill and management needs to be aware of it. The tee boxes are awful, and they didn’t used to be. Worse, the fairways are like sponges. Your feet literally drop into the fairways like an inch because the turf is so spongey. I’ve never seen anything like it. Strangest thing. The sand has never been great here, but it’s as bad as it’s ever been. Please get a handle on the condition of the course guys. There’s no way you can walk out there knowing what it used to be like, and feel like it’s anything other than a wreck now. I’m writing this review because I love OO, and I want it to improve.

Nice Course, Needs Work

This is a nice course but the course needs to be maintained better. Rough was super long. Also, the pace of play was very slow. 5.5 hr round is not appreciated.

Not what it once was

I like the course however it has gone hill. The tee boxes hadn't been mowed in a while and were incredibly uneven.
I probably won't play there again because every time I've played OOCC there has been a jam up at the 10th tee. I don't know how it happens, the pace of play on the front 9 is fine and suddenly there are several groups waiting to tee off on 10th. Really disrupts any rythm you may have. Needs to be managed.

Greens were slow and tee boxes were unlevel and not cut. Grass on tee boxes way too long.

Need to Bring your "A" or "B" game to play

This was by far one of the most challenging courses I've ever played, yet it was fun to play despite the windy conditions. There is strategically placed bunkers and water everywhere. If you didn't have on the left it was on the right, or even sometimes on both side and guarding the greens as there were several flyovers. Number 9 & 13 required precise accurate shots to thread the needle between bodies of water on both sides. This course requires you to really think about each shot and choose your club wisely. There are risk reward opportunities, but be careful, make sure your shots are straight as there is not much room for error. The fairways are narrow and trees all over the place and even some old mature trees hang over the fairway which may require a play it safe or lay up. I didn't shoot bad for the first time and I look forward to playing this course again especially when the wind conditions are much calmer. The greens were in great condition.

No GPS/Poorly Marked Course

Most of the holes are blind tee shots and you have no idea where to hit your drive. No GPS on carts to show hole layout or show distances to water, sand traps, etc. I hit most of my tee shots straight but since of the blind tee shots, I had no clue where my ball ended up. Rough was very long and fairway were shaggy and almost as long as normal rough. Spent a TON of time looking for my tee shots in the rough because it was so long. None of the sprinkler heads had yardages on them and the only markers they had were small, colored markers every 50 yards in the fairway that were grown over and most of the paint washed off. The final hole was the first time I was able to actually find a marker, all of the other holes I had to just guess the distances on my approach shots. The only thing that saves the course from being 1 Star is that the green are well maintained with minimal ball marks. Very small practice putting green and the range is irons only and very small. Overall a disappointing experience and I will not go back. There are much better courses in the area.

The course was well maintain, it was a short course but very challenging.

Nice changes

The course had some nice changes (some trees removed that impeded play in the past). Greens were true and running smoothly. I'd play it again soon.

Poor Course Conditions and Lousy Course Management

Went out for the first time for a Labor Day round. Read they had a driving range only to find it’s a miniature field and no way to warm up anything beyond a long iron. Not a big deal. Get to the first tee at our tee time to see the starter sending off someone else in our spot. I could understand if we were 5 minutes late or if he was trying to sneak out a single, but he sent a 4some at the exact time of our tee time only to claim they were ready to go (don’t understand the point of tee times here then). The starter then proceeded to leave and by the time we were up and out on the short par 4 green the group beyond us is already riding up on us. Zero spacing in the start proceeded to lead to a manufactured back log of groups for the first 6 holes. Finally, course conditions are poor. Every tee box is uneven and not mowed. The fairway grounds are soft and spongy and the rough is uneven all over. Bunkers are subpar. Some holes are nice but not enough to save the rest of the round.

Great fun and challenging layout. The rough was a little tall but crews were out cutting it. Greens and tee boxes were in excellent shape.

Distracting

Compared to other courses for same value too constricted. Grounds crew cutting thru as you're playing.

Not worth the money.

Narrow fairways with long rough. No second cut. We lost a ton of balls that landed in the fairway and skipped into the rough. Slow pace of play (820A tee time). We were told to increase our pace of play when we literally had another group no more that 150 yds ahead of us... ranger wasn’t joking either. He also like to hang out about 15 yds off the fairway and we almost hit him. We paid $50, probably worth $30. Wouldn’t play again.

Needs Tee Boxes Reconditioned

This is a nice enough course with some tricky greens. I enjoyed it except for the tee boxes. They are inexcusable. They are so lumpy! How much would it take to regrade and resurface these. I would think they could do a few halfs at a time and maybe get them all done in a season. Ir at least a few a season.

Good course, but slooow

Course conditions were good, staff was friendly, but round took 5 1/2 hours.

Response from on 09/25/2018:
We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. It is great to see you had an enjoyable time on the course and we hope you join us for another round soon here at Old Orchard Country Club in Eatontown.
Prospect Heights, Illinois