Pine Meadow Golf Course

Year Built 1924
Architect Joe Lee (1985) Rocky Roquemore (1985) William S. Flynn (1929) Joe T. Jemsek (1985)

Carts Yes - $11 - $17

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

Plays Twice a year

MOST OVERRATED OVERPRICED IN STATE

Absolute travesty this place charges $80 on a Weds AM. Pine Meadows isnt anywhere near being elite.

Water in Sand. Ones without water unraked and hard.

Fairways with many muddy /damaged spots.

Greens slow and choppy.

We have played 22 different courses this year. This was most expensive and not in top 15.

For this money, play Stonewall. Thunderhawk. Shepards Crook. Prarie Landing. Arrowhead. Highlands of Elgin. Bowe's Creek. Those are $80 worthy and charge less.

Do not play here (11.8 handicap)

Excellent Course

Pine Meadow is a terrific course and you'll enjoy it immensely if you know exactly what to expect. This is not a high end resort course. Its all about golf -- no frills. The clubhouse is small and old, restaurant is hot dogs and beer, carts are old without GPS, cart paths are bumpy... you get the picture. But the course itself is fantastic. There are no houses anywhere near the course. Tall trees line every hole, but there is still plenty of width/forgiveness. There is a surprising amount of elevation change for a course in this area (specifically, holes 13-16). The best hole is probably the 14th -- a par four elevated tee with water all down the right. Its a make or break tee shot. Find land and you've got a short iron and a birdie chance. Otherwise, double or worse.

As for conditioning... The fairways and tees are like carpet. Greens are a mix of poa annua and bentgrass (likely a poa infestation of the originally pure bentgrass greens). Greens are fantastic early in the morning but get bumpy late in the day. They stimp the greens regularly at 11-12 (meaing - FAST!). You should expect heavy wet sand in the bunkers (drainage is lacking). Overall, I believe the superintendent does a great job with what feels like limited resources.

Driving range is huge. Multiple putting greens, practice bunkers and chipping greens. Great place to practice.

Staff is friendly and pleasant, but don't expect anyone to bend over backwards to kiss your backside. This is not an uppity country club!

They take pace of play seriously. If you're slow, the ranger is going to force you to move faster (which I appreciate but clueless slow players sometimes find it abrasive/rude).

Pine Meadow is definitely a diamond in the rough. Its my understanding that the Catholic Church owns the land and leases it to Jemsek Golf. The rumor is that the Church only agrees to short term leases which makes Jemsek reluctant to make a long tern investment in the course. Its a shame -- Pine Meadow has the potential to be a Golf Digest Top 100 Public Course with a well thought-out renovation (in fact, it was the #1 new public course as per Golf Digest when it opened in 1986).Regardless, its still pretty darn good and worth a visit.

Great parkland style course!

Played as a single but joined up with a father/son twosome on the 6th hole. Had a great time playing this course. It's got good length from the back tees and some very fast greens. Tee boxes, fairways and greens are in excellent condition. Some really scenic holes on the back 9. Will definitely be playing again when we are back down here.

This course is certainly not worth the money. The management team should really spend some money upgrading the GOLF CARTS. I’ve been playing golf for over 20 years and these carts have got to be over 25 years old. They have no windshield on the majority of the carts and much wear and tear on all of them!!!!

Nevada Advisor

Very Solid!

Pine Meadow used to be the talk of Chicagoland but a few years ago they’re rates were too high compared to the course conditions. Decided to give Pine Meadow another shot and so happy I did.

Played on 5/15/19 at 730am. Course was in absolute incredible conditions. This course is just great from start to finish. Huge, long, and brawny parkland style track. Course protects par by the length but very fair with their larger fairways and their massive greens. Did I say massive? Yea biggest greens in Illinois, prove me wrong.

Bob Powers was very friendly along with the rest of the staff. 80 bucks is a bit steep but you get what you pay for. Great pace of play with one of the best practice areas around.

Is Thunderhawk and Stonewall Orchard better? Yes, perhaps but will definitely put this on my list of normal stops this year.

Commented on 06/18/2019

Thank you for your comments in regards to your experience at Pine Meadow. We are glad you enjoyed your round of golf and look forward to seeing you again this summer!

Open in January!!!

Pine Meadow was open in January which was great. The staff were warm and friendly to us, and grateful to see us out at the course. For January the course was in great shape and the greens were rolling at about a 10. I couldn't believe it!!!!

Pine Meadow is a great track. Playing at the end of the season is a great value. Great condition, no leaf issues losing balls.

Commented on 11/19/2018

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in the spring!

Wonderful operation is only getting better

As a lifelong golfer here in the Chicago area, I have played many of the public and private courses. Like many golf lovers I like to hit the road and seek out new course to play around the state and into the bordering states as well. When I asked my wife earlier in the week where she would like to play, she said what I was thinking.... Pine Meadow GC !

It's a beautiful piece of land and a great layout. Generally speaking the golfers that play there are knowledgeable and courteous, and they know how to keep pace or invite you to play through. The starters do a great job of getting you set up to play the course as well. They are typical of the staffing in general. I have always found the Pine Meadow people to be welcoming and professional. They are real golf people!

The greens are really good now! The current keeper of the greens is a "keeper" for sure. I have never seen them better and they have been consistently good all year.

By every measure that matters to me, Pine Meadow GC is a wonderful golf experience and a great value for the price!

Commented on 11/19/2018

Peter - Thank you for your outstanding review of Pine Meadow and the staff. It is our goal to meet and exceed the expectations of our customers. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your experience at the "Pine" and look forward to seeing you soon.

Outstanding Overall Experience

Played Pine Meadow for the first time this year and was very impressed at the course conditions. Greens were in excellent shape and rolled fair and true. Staff was outstanding and helpful as they always have been in past years that I've played there. I understand they have a fabulous fitting program. This is one of the top public golf courses in the Midwest. Anyone who says otherwise simply doesn't know what they're talking about.

Nice layout

The course was in very good shape considering that there was a lot of rain the day before. The layout is challenging and makes you think. There was very little standing water though the ground was damp.

Commented on 09/09/2018

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your round at The Pine.

Fantastic time

Pllayed the morning after the course received a lot of water from the storm. they allowed carts and the fairways drained very well. the greens were in fantastic condition and rolling very true. had a wonderful round of golf and enjoyed the restaurant afterwards.

Commented on 09/09/2018

Thank you for your 5-star rating, We look forward to seeing you again.

Great Chicagoland Course

The course received over an 1" of rain the night before we played. The greens were in excellent shape and rolled very well. The course was draining well -- very little standing water. Golf carts had no restrictions.

Look forward to going back again.

Good test of public golf

The fairways had some rough spots, but not many. The greens and pace of play were both good. Little pricey, but good public golf in Chicago is hard to come by.

Commented on 08/14/2018

Thank you for your review of Pine Meadow. We are glad you enjoyed your round. We look forward to seeing you again.

I returned

After my first round, I just had to go back now that I had a feel for the layout.
Conditions were incredible...
something really neat happened a range came up and just talked to me...that's it, he just wanted to say hi, now that was refreshing.
I had joined up with some of their regulars and, heck, they tried to talk be into becoming a member of their permanent tee time group.
Just a nice friendly place.

Commented on 08/14/2018

We are pleased that you enjoyed your round at Pine Meadow and the friendly atmosphere of our staff and customers. Please come back and see us again.

Coming back again

Over the past couple of months I have been looking for a better course in the area that offered all of the golf amenities that one could ask for and I must honestly say that this is the place! Between the 3 chipping greens, 4 putting surfaces, and the 2 driving ranges this place really does have anything that you could need to improve your game. Pine Meadow even offers junior golf programs to help teach your child and to demonstrate proper golf edict to the young up and coming. Also, I know that the price can seem a little high at times but trust me when I say it is worth it. Too many times I have gone to cheaper course where ball marks appeared like mortar fire upon the putting greens and divots dominated the fairways as far as the eye can see, don't even get me started on how long it would take to even get through a single round of golf! I figure that all of these things really have more to do with the moral compass of the type of golfers that go to these course rather than the course itself so I can happily say the Pine Meadow seems to attract the better golfer that understands the process of a round and always seems to leave the course better than they found it! Ultimately, Pine Meadow is a higher price golf course but with it comes the pace of play and conditions that one would expect from this. Not to mention again the practice facilities to either warm you up for a good round or to go out and beat some balls out of frustration after a bad one!

Commented on 08/14/2018

Thank you for detailed review of Pine Meadow. We are pleased you enjoy coming to practice and play at Pine Meadow. We are very proud of our facility, course conditions and its national recognition by the PGA for our youth programs and golf shop. We look forward to seeing you at Pine Meadow.

Plays Twice a year

Very enjoyable

It was a family get together to see our grandson show off his new skills as a junior player. We all had a rewarding experience, from club house to the course.
I purchased a new Greg Norman shirt, my son in law upgraded his putter.
While the course is difficult for us, we could not escape the natural beauty of the place, and we were lucky enough to see a cayote trotting across the fairway.
Chris served us from behind the counter, with a big smile, and friendly manner.
It was truely a pleasant way to spend a late afternoon.

Commented on 07/30/2018

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled you chose to spend your afternoon with us. Please come back and visit us.

Incredible experience

Had heard about this venue, some comments not so good, some very good...so decided to find out for myself. Not sure what happened to some of those not so good comments, but my experience was WOW.
What a find....felt like Pinehurst not Chicago Metro.
Staff was proud and happy to talk about facility.
Range was incredible, gave 4 stars on amenities due to restaurant was just more of a snack bar.
Great selection in golf shop.....
But what impressed me the most was the friendliness of staff.
Greens were incredible....cannot wait to get back.

Commented on 07/30/2018

Thank you for your review of Pine Meadow. We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Good memories

I hadn't played Pine Meadow for several years. It has always been one of my favorites in the Chicago area.

Commented on 07/30/2018

Len, thank you for your kind words and please don't be a stranger and come back soon!

great place to PLay

Great lay out, course in excellent condition,lov ed the greens very professional and friendly staff

Commented on 07/08/2018

Thank you for your review of Pine Meadow, we look forward to seeing you again this summer.

Request A Vacation Quote From Cog Hill Golf and Country Club
Please provide your information below and a staff member at Hamilton County will be in contact to help you start planning your travel.
Vernon Hills, Illinois