Type Public/Municipal

Foss Park Golf Course has a convenient location in North Chicago that is an easy drive in from the city. It's a public course that is known amongst locals for being one of the area's best golf values. The layout is wide-open save for three holes that are framed by towering mature trees. The golf course strikes a good balance between being challenging and playable. The fairways are narrow and demand accuracy but the massive greens are more forgiving. Each hole offers a variety of different playing options, which makes the course appealing to a wide range of skill levels. The golf course has plenty of sand, plus water hazards come into play on several holes. There is also a driving range and large practice putting green available at Foss Park G.C.

Foss Park Golf Course

Year Built 1974
Fairways Blue Grass

Carts Yes - $11 - $15

Nice Coarse. Straight Forward

Nice public Coarse. Straight forward. Great Fairways and Greens. Awesome Price.

Commented on 09/03/2019

We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Foss Park Golf Course!

Good course for the money,slow play sometimes but nice course b

Commented on 09/03/2019

Thank you for visiting us at Foss Park Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Chicago Advisor

Foss Park GC (Front Nine) - Decent North Shore Muni - Lacks Service & Charm!

The Good: A fairly benign municipal course in the far north suburbs of Chicago, Foss Park has become a Hacker's Paradise staple for the North Shore area. An understated prairie design (by an unknown architect) with a few holes cut into some dense wooded areas, with good fairway conditions and huge, well-manicured greens. I only played the front nine, but the Par 5's were by far the most interesting and fun holes. Very nice clubhouse with full restaurant/bar area, as well as separate banquet hall for large events. Decent practice range and large putting green. Fair value at around $55 w/ cart during peak season, although very walkable. Fortunately, the pace of play on the weekend was excellent and walked 9-holes in just over 90 minutes!

The Bad: Perhaps it was just an "off" day, but I walked mid-day on a weekend and there was ZERO on-course service. No starter and there was no cart service whatsoever. I recognize Foss Park isn't the Taj Mahal of public golf courses, but that was disappointing and alarming. Not necessarily the course's fault, but the amount of balls marks left unrepaired on the greens was appalling. I must have fixed five marks a green. The Par 3's are fairly forgettable and don't have many features to them. A couple of holes (the 2nd & 4th) had so many trees inching onto the fairways that it was nearly impossible. A few chainsaws are in order!

The Verdict: Foss Park is your fairly typical, munipicality-ran golf course. Conditions are good enough, but clearly the "bells and whistles" are lacking. There are certainly MANY better golf courses in the $50-$60 range in the northern suburbs. Not the worst of values, but I'm not Forrest Gump running back.

Best Hole: The Par-5 7th hole requires a "go-for-broke" drive that must navigate sand traps on the left and water right, then an approach to a flat green that can lead its fair share of birdies and eagles!

Commented on 08/14/2019

Hello. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. We are glad to know you consider the course conditions to be great. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Foss Park Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Over priced dog track

Yes. I played immediately after a night of rain. And I know the course drains poorly. But I was so offend they charged me $40 to walk in a swamp land.
This track is out dated and basic. I've lived all around the states and played golf at my places, but this should cap off as a $20 course. I will be fair and say that the greens are remarkable. So good I made sure I cleaned up four ball marks at each hole. But anyways, there are so many bettee places to play for their prices. Pace of play was good bc no one was out there.... So don't trust my rating.

Commented on 07/30/2019

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We with the recent rain we are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens from the water on the course. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. We will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Foss Park Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Hidden Gem and Local Favorite.

I work near Foss Park and I feel lucky to have such a nice course nearby enough that I can head over there after work, and with a tee-off time before 4:00PM still be able to finish 18 with daylight left over.

The course was in really good shape--fairways, tees and greens. Very large greens and not much water or bunkers at Foss Park, but that is balanced out by the rough, trees and slopes of the greens.

Great weather 0 7/11/19 and a great afternoon of golf at Foss Park.

Commented on 07/15/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us house1123. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Foss Park Golf Course thanks you!

Commented on 07/09/2019

Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Foss Park Golf Course.

Hidden value

I have played this track many times in the past. I always find it to be in good to excellent condition and it provides a good challenge with old growth hardwoods and narrow fairways. The staff are very friendly and the bar and restaurant pleasant.

Commented on 07/03/2019

Thank you for your rating! Please book another round with us soon.

Course review

The course was in very good condition even on a slightly rainy day.

Commented on 07/03/2019

Thank you for the positive review! We love hearing about your positive experiences. Thank you, and we hope to have you back!

Commented on 05/20/2019

Course was still a bit wet but all in all was still in decent shape.

Commented on 05/06/2019

We love hearing about our golfers' experiences, u902371691. Please tell us more about what you enjoyed from your round with us. Thanks for reviewing us!

The course was in great shape

The course was near mid summer conditions. I have played a few area courses this spring and this course had the best rolling greens and course conditions. The staff makes you feel very welcome and is a reason I come back.

Commented on 04/26/2019

Thank you for your 5-star rating! We can't wait to have you back.

Commented on 04/15/2019

Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had a positive experience, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing *[CourseName]*.

Commented on 09/03/2019

Hi there - thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Foss Park Golf Course.

Commented on 08/15/2019

We would love to hear more about your positive experience at our course. Please contact our pro shop to share with us your favorite part of your experience with us. Thanks for golfing at Foss Park Golf Course!

Hidden jem...

I love this place, great layout, clean fairways and true rolling greens. The only problem is people do not fix their holes on the greens.. lazy people should not play golf you need to stay-at-home and let golfers come and play golf. We should like to putt on smooth greens.. i like a clean nice golf course with nice greens and no holes in them. SO PEOPLE PLEASE HELP KEEP THIS PARK PLAYABLE, FIX YOU MARKS.

Commented on 08/14/2019

Thank you for rating us 5-stars. We are glad that you enjoy playing on our golf course. We will follow up with our team to ensure that we let our golfers know to repair their ball marks. Thank you for playing Foss Park Golf Course.

Well worth the $35

Good course. Well worth the $35. Only problem was the range was not open.

Commented on 09/03/2019

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Foss Park Golf Course.

Commented on 08/08/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are glad you thought the course was in good condition. At the same time our team is recovering the range so that it can be in pristine condition before your next round. Thank you for playing Foss Park Golf Course!

Commented on 08/07/2019

Excellent value for the price

Course in great shape......greens very fast due to no rain

Commented on 08/01/2019

Thank you for rating us 4-stars. We are glad you thought the course was in great shape. We hope that you book another with us soon!

Sung kim

Every thing ok but staffs was horrible cause I arrived 35 minuets early my tee time they say you have to TeeOff right time not even 1 minuet maybe course was busy I understand but nobody in the course cause weather was too hot
So I was waiting 35 minuets I don’t see anybody 1st tee box until my tee time. I play golf 35 year but I never like this happen.

Fun and Tougher than it looks

Fun course that is all about putting your tee shot in the right place. Don’t be fouled by the shortness of the coure. You might be leaving Driver in the bag a lot. Big greens but don’t get above the hole.

Great Lakes, Illinois