Scorecard for Regulation
Black M: 72.6/130 346 525 167 418 363 411 177 373 410 3190 526 386 307 196 345 501 402 223 441 3327 6517
Blue M: 71.5/127 337 517 147 404 353 395 164 361 403 3081 515 378 297 171 329 484 383 207 433 3197 6278
White M: 70.1/124 328 502 134 382 343 374 140 315 393 2911 504 370 284 151 317 468 369 172 415 3050 5961
Red W: 73.7/131 312 491 116 328 333 365 120 308 360 2733 491 362 272 125 305 427 316 141 397 2836 5569

Year Built 1914
Architect William Langford (1914) C. D. Wagstaff (1930)

Dress code Men: shirt with sleeves. No cut-offs. Women: shirt with 1″ straps / sleeves. No cut-offs allowed.

Chicago Advisor

Winnetka Golf Club - A Solid Langford Walk Spoiled

The Good: William B. Langsford design (original nine, C.D. Wagstaff completed the final 9 holes) in the north shore suburbs has retained some of its 1917 charm, with a good variety of doglegs, unique green complexes, and a fantastic little Par 3 course that is great for beginners and seniors. Greens are fun and putt pretty smoothly, even if a little slow. Course includes a modest clubhouse, but an excellent practice facility that includes a huge training center and multiple short game areas. Great finishing hole!

The Bad: Fairways are not in great shape and are really bumpy. On-course amenities are really lacking: very poor signage, limited yardage markers, and no GPS. Some of the holes tend to blend in together and look / feel like you're playing the some shot over and over. There was no on-course service when we played on a weekend afternoon. Overpriced by about $15 for the area.

The Verdict: I'm sure that Winnetka was a very fine course in its day, but there are dozens of public courses in the area that I'd play for the $$ before this squandered Langford track.

Best Hole: The closing 18th was quite the pleasant surprise even though its very difficult. A long, straight away Par 4 with a downhill tee sheet and approach to a double-tiered green.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 09/18/2018:
Hello, we're sorry you didn't fully enjoy your experience. Our goal at Winnetka Golf Club is for every golfer to enjoy their round. Thank you for playing, we hope you give us another chance in the future.

Poor upkeep

This isn’t a bad course from a layout standpoint but the course conditions, esp. the fairways, are deplorable. They are very bumpy and uneven. I recognize they have had problems with the drainage, but something should be done -and soon- to rescue this course. Otherwise, the numbers of rounds there will continue to decline.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 09/14/2018:
Hello, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We appreciate your feedback and we are working on making improvements. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club, we hope you give us another chance in the future.

Challenging course

Great layout challenges all golfers. Great condition.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 08/01/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our great course conditions and nice layout. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club! #WinnetkaGC
Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 07/16/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our friendly staff. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club! #WinnetkaGC

Winnetka Golf Club

The staff is really nice and friendly, the club is really nice! The golf carts were very slow, honestly should have walked (walked to my ball on most holes to save time)! The early groups were paired very tightly together, felt pressured to shoot whenever I saw our trailing group. The rough is really rough were it seem like you spent more time walking the rough than anything else. You leave the fear way by more than 12 inches, you might as well get the next ball out to drop. Overall, well kept fairways, greens, buildings and staff (stay out of the rough and you are golden)!!!

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 07/06/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our friendly staff and challenging course layout. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club, we hope to see you out on the course again soon! #WinnetkaGC

Winnetka Golf club

The ground is very lumpy if you’re riding in a cart.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 07/05/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our friendly staff. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club! #WinnetkaGC

Lots of kids

The course was in good shape. The pace of play was a bit slow. There are lots of kids on the course but they seem to know what they were doing. There are great draft beers.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 06/18/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our good course conditions and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club! #WinnetkaGC

Not a Great Value

I think this course is just like so many of the Northshore public courses, a high cost for what you get.

The back 9 can play VERY WET if there has been rain within the last week.

But the real issue is that I can drive an additional 15 to 20 minutes and play a superior course for less money. If the price was lower, I might consider going back.

Very enjoyable to play. The only reason I give course conditions as average is all the rain we have had.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 06/14/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and a great value. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club! #WinnetkaGC

What happened to Winnetka

This course used to be a good muni course. I’ve been playing here at least once a year for 40 years and it’s now gone way downhill due to maintenance. I may have played my last round here.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 06/05/2018:
Hello, we apologize you didn't fully enjoy your round. Our goal at Winnetka Golf Club is for every player to enjoy their experience. Thank you for playing, we hope you give us another chance in the future.

Course is in rough shape

This course could be great, but needs a lot *lot* of TLC. Unless they're hosting the US Open, the rough anywhere near that high. It was so bad, my playing partner and I lost 8 balls or more that should have been totally findable. You couldn't see the ball unless you were right on top of it. I can't even imagine how poorly this impacts pace of play on weekends.

I like it, but I won't be back until the course is in much better shape.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 06/01/2018:
Hello, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We are working on making improvements and we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club, we hope you give us another chance in the future.
Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 05/09/2018:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our good course conditions. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club! #WinnetkaGC

everything you want in a muni

beautiful course, nice layout, lots of water and traps, mature trees. Great par 3 and practice area. Incredible value for money.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 11/21/2017:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our beautiful course, nice layout, great par 3 and practice area, and a good value. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club!

Not living up to its potential :-(

I have played Winnetka Golf Club for the last fifteen (15) years, though my rounds there have steadily decreased to a current maximum of once a year with friends who live nearby. The layout is good, and the drainage did improve - 2017 was tough for all courses in the area. The number one reason my wife, friends and I pick other local courses is the attitude by staff and players alike. The rangers are rude - particularly to women - and most of the Pro Shop won't crack a smile and seem indifferent to new guests. Some of the tenured locals take themselves way too seriously, and pretend Winnetlka is their 'private club' ... one laughs at the pretentiousness. There has been a slight upgrade to the bar | food facilities, but they are frequently closed | offer limited choices. The sad thing is that staff attitudes and food | drink options are easy to fix, and we do enjoy playing the course. Go to Glencoe for better layout | conditions, go to Wilmette for excellent service | cocktails | greens. Each year I walk off Winnetka trying to come up with a reason to come back, and ruefully shaking my head at what they could be.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 11/21/2017:
Hello, we apologize you didn't fully enjoy your round. Our goal at Winnetka Golf Club is for every golfer to enjoy their experience. Thank you for playing, we hope you give us another chance in the future.

Rough start

I would flip nines. 10th hole nice par5. 1st hole short par 4 with tight overbunkered green. 9 would be just as good finishing hole as 18. Also get on Teeoff.com.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 02/23/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our friendly staff and good course conditions. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club!
Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 09/12/2017:
Hello Steve, we're glad you enjoyed our friendly staff and challenging course layout. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club!

Beautiful course and friendly staff

I’ve played in a women’s league at this course for the past few years and enjoyed the course very much. It’s in good shape and a good value. The best part about it though are the folks that work here. All are very nice and they make you feel like you are a member, even when you are not.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 04/27/2018:
Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our good course conditions, a great value, and our friendly staff. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club, we look forward to seeing you soon! #WinnetkaGC

Overpriced unless using a hot deal

not going to pay $60+ with cart to play Winnetka. I Grew up two blocks from this course and I wouldn't pay more than $35 with cart to play these days. Just much better options in the area(glencoe/sportsmans). The course is standard, no beverage cart, and kept only decent. Pace of play is great because there is nobody on the course mostly due to price. The clubhouse dining/bar area has been redone and now offers some very good options from a local restaurant called Avli as well as a handful of beers on tap. Greens fees should be 30-40 with a cart to play here and anything above that is just an egregious mark up for being in Winnetka I suppose.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 08/31/2017:
Hi Patrick, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback.
u242121561
Commented On 01/25/2018

This course is way better than sportsmans. Similar in price and layout to Glencoe

Good place to pay a casual round

I like older courses like this one. They have the raised greens which adds some challenge I would definitely play here again the location is convenient to the City and the Northern Suburbs.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 08/28/2017:
Hi Lee, we're happy you enjoyed our challenging course layout and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club!

Excellent suburban public course.

It is hard to believe that nestled amongst The best country clubs on Chicago’s North Shore that the local Park would provides public course of almost equal stature, but that is what Winnetka has done. Two courses that are fun to play, a 9-hole Par-3 and a regulation 18 that are very well maintained and provide a bit of a challenge. The clubhouse is nice with a full pro shop, locker rooms, and good golfing food. There is an excellent driving range, putting green, and chipping green shaded by great trees with pastoral views.

Response from Winnetka Golf Club on 12/21/2017:
Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our fun course layout, nice clubhouse, and excellent driving range. Thank you for playing Winnetka Golf Club!
Palatine, Illinois