Year Built 1973
Fairways Bent grass
Greens Bent grass
Architect Tim Nugent (2005)

Clubs No

Dress code A shirt with a collar or mock golf shirt is required to play Sandy Pines Golf Club.

A hidden gem

Who would've thought, just about in the middle of nowhere, would be such an excellent track.

We woke up before the sun and drove an hour and 30 minutes to check out what we've been hearing about Sandy Pines and they did not dissapoint.

On arrival we were impressed to learn that the carts were equipped with GPS, and the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in on a golf cart.

After hitting the range and practice green, we set out and were in aw on about every hole.

This course will test all assets of your game. Don't be suprised to find yourself in some sand at some point of the day. Many of the holes, though they appeared to be short, are very much risk/reward type of holes. Most times we found ourselves taking less than driver in order to ensure we were safe off the tee. The greens are huge, roll true and were very receptive to approach shots.

This has probably taken my #1 course ranking in Indiana. I can't wait to go back.

Afterwards we ate at the courses restaraunt, and it was delicious.

Worth the ride!

Amazing course that keeps getting better each year. A bit of a ride from the Chicago area, but a value that can't be matched. Perfect greens, well maintained fairways, elevated tee boxes that give it a Pete Dye feel. You would pay 3 times as much for a course of this quality near Chicago.

Indiana Advisor

Make the trip, it's worth it

Played on my way back to Indy from Chicago. I had tried once before, but we got bumped off by traffic (making me late) and a couples' night had the front, so I didn't get to play the whole course. I was glad to get a full 18 in this time.

This place is fantastic. Both times, they've had a good crowd going (in no small part due to the restaurant being great too). The land north of Lafayette and south of Merrillville is flat, mostly cornfield and easy to drive by. This place is maybe 6 miles from the interstate, but feels a world away. As far as I can tell the community is all-in on Sandy Pines, and for good reasons; it's like a little golf island in the cornrows!

The course is a bit quirky (in a good way) and the more you play, the better you'll be at aiming your tee shots. It's not overly long, but while it may lack in some distance, it makes up for it in fun. There are several bunkers guarding the "garden spots" and the green complexes are top-notch and quick. The sand in "Sandy" is one of the primary defenses. You're going to use every club in the bag.

The tees, fairways, greens, rough and bunkers were almost all in mint condition. All are well-grassed, tees were level and the greens were legit-fast, so be prepared. There are a lot of bunkers, and naturally not all were in perfect shape (lazy people golf everywhere), but most were well-sanded and groomed.

The front opens up with an easy par 4 to get you going, then introduces you to the great Par 5 second hole: off the tee choose your line over the bunker wisely; the same for the approach down the hill if you're going for the green. The seventh is a big, brawny par 5 with two greens - a longer one to the left and another, shorter to the right. Pretty sweet.

The back nine challenges much the same as the front, offering risk/reward shots and a few more quirks. The flow between front and back is pretty seamless, even though they were built at different times. A few more classic features make it cool too: some new sod-faced bunkers, a few driveable par 4s and even a nice beach bunker on seventeen. Throw in the pine trees, and you can easily fool yourself into thinking you're much farther south.

The restaurant was hopping both times I've been here, and I've enjoyed both meals I've had. They have a few outdoor seating areas too. The staff have been great both trips. While you're waiting to tee off, see if you can bomb in one of your putts on the Matterhorn putting green (you'll see).

I wish this place was in my backyard, they'd have my money for a membership for sure. I hear they're adding some tees to beef up the length, which will kick up the difficulty if you want. It's not needed to have fun out here though. This is a top-notch place in NW Indiana (aka...The Region) so don't just zone-out and drive by the exit: make a plan to visit Sandy.

Beautiful course

Got invited to play Sandy Pines and it was a drive for me. I had read the prior reviews and can't believe there has not been any current ones. This course is beautiful, challenging, great condition from tee to green. Pro shop staff is friendly and they have a unbelievable restaurant. Course is in the middle of nowhere Indiana from what I could tell but it looked like I was in North Carolina! The only reason I gave the course a 4 rating was that it this time there is no driving range, but one is under construction. Honestly there is no reason not to try this wonderful course. Going to plan to bring my golfing friends back to this Indiana secret.

A REAL TREAT IN NORTHWEST INDIANA

I HIGHLY recommend checking out Sandy Pines Golf Club in DeMotte, Indiana if you haven't already been there before. This place is unbelievable in every aspect from the Pro Shop, Golf Course, and Restaurant! The course itself is in excellent shape and the golf carts are brand new with the latest and greatest GPS Systems equipped. I'm sure you will fall in love with this place! With this course located in Northwest Indiana, it has many characteristics and similarities of what you would see in the Carolinas. This course is located Right off I65 at Exit 230, Roselawn/DeMotte Exit. You are in for a REAL TREAT! Check it out for yourself at sandypinesgc.com I believe this public course is one of the TOP 5 Courses in the State of Indiana if not TOP 3!

Arizona Advisor

Rural Indiana Surprise

Considering its remote location, I am astonished by the quality of this golf course. My brother's son-in-law, who lives in the area, recommended Sandy Pines proclaiming it was one of his favorites. I can see why. It is a high quality track with an intriguing design. A very good score can be had as long as you keep it in play, and you don't necessarily need driver off the tee all the time, either. There are not an extreme number of forced carries, but plenty of trouble in play with slightly offline shots. Water hazards, deep bunkers, heavily wooded areas, conspicuously placed shrubbery are plentiful, and must be avoided. Things don't get easy once you reach the green, though. They are very quick, and most of them have a great deal of undulations. The good news is that they are pretty easy to read and roll true, but you must have the correct speed to make a lot of putts. Plus, there are very few gimmes. Don't take those shorties for granted. In general, I feel the holes on the front required more thought and imagination than the ones on the back. However, this does not mean you can let your guard down on the back nine. This is a very good, thinking man's track. I understand why Sandy Pines is so well thought of by the locals.

Commented on 09/23/2015

I couldn't AGREE ANYMORE! This review is very correct!!

This course has it all.Water,sand,elevation changes.

For early spring the greens are in great shape. tee boxs,fairways all in great shape and very playable. staff is outstanding.
Course requires patience and decision making in order to avoid
the big numbers

Lake Village, Indiana
Rensselaer, Indiana
Valparaiso, Indiana
Cedar Lake, Indiana

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.