The Fort Golf Resort

• 6002 N Post Rd, Indianapolis, Indiana 46216, Marion County
  • www.thefortgolfcourse.com
Write Review

Year built: 1997
Architect(s): Pete Dye (1998), Tim Liddy (1998), Wadsworth Golf Construction (1998)
Type: Resort
Golf Season: Open: 4/01 Closed: 11/01

Carts: Yes - included in green fee
Caddies: No

Dress code: Shirts must have collars. Tank tops, t-shirts, cut-offs, and athletic shorts are not permitted.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes thick rough   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 07/12/2018:

Thank you so much for the 5-star review as we appreciate you taking the time. We love to see you had a great time on the course and we hope you will book another round with us soon.

"Ball Marks Everywhere"

DrOldSchool's avatar
Indy Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2018

Went around The Fort again today, and continue to hold the same opinion of it - it's a 5-star layout, with 4-star conditions at best. Today I spent half my time on the greens fixing ball marks, as it was almost like putting on the moon. Not sure how anyone in front of me putted with all the unfixed or poorly fixed marks. Lots of the fairways and some fringes were a little ugly and spotty too after the recent rain.

As for the course, the elevation change makes it pretty unique for the area, and it's very challenging, so it's well worth a go. But full freight would feel like a bit of a rip with the present conditions.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 07/03/2018:

Thank you DrOldSchool so much for the 4-star review as we appreciate you taking the time. We love to see you had a great time on the course and we hope you will book another round with us soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

"Great layout TERRIBLE GREENS"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2018

Paid $71 to play Sunday morning 6/24/18. Greens were worse than the $15 American Legion course in my central Indiana hometown! I wouldn't pay $45 to play the fort, with the greens beat to crap like they are now. Beautiful layout with plenty of challenge. For the price, play Bear Slide, Prairie View, or Fox Prarie nearby. Fix the pace of play problem (5 hr round) and the horrendously beat up greens and it's as good of a course as can be found.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/25/2018:

We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

"Saturday at the Fort"

Critterkc17's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/23/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Even though they had rain of 5 inches in the last 48 hours and it was cart path only, the Fort was an excellent round. The greens were in great shape. The round moved along well for being cart path only. As expected the rough was pretty high in some places without being cu for a couple of days. The staff was friendly and helpful as usual.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/26/2018:

Thank you Critterkc17 so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon here at The Fort Golf Resort as we would love to have you back.

"The Fort is great!"

PuttWithaWedge's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/23/2018

Wow what an amazing course. Beautiful layout. I didn't know there was such elevation near the city, reminded me of courses in Pennsylvania. Pete Dye is a golf design guru and this course is typical Dye. Awesome greens. This is our first stop on the Pete Dye Golf Trail. We aim to get in all 7. But now that we have played here we will be back. A must play course in Indianapolis!

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/25/2018:

Thank you PuttWithaWedge so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

sennis01's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2018

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/13/2018:

Thank you sennis01 as we appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2018

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/11/2018:

We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

"Pace of Play"

dhiner's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2018

5 hr round? Pathetic...at one time there were 4 groups on a hole. I would rather have played a muni.. Too bad. I now know why they had a golfnow price.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/05/2018:

Thank you dhiner as we are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

"Slowest pace of play"

u602077859's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2018

It took over 2 hours to finish the first 6 holes... I kid you not. The course was extremely overbooked. I called the ranger and he said he was going to speed it up but no difference was made until it finally sped up after the front 9 because there was a group of 8 guys that left because the course was so backed up. It took 5 hours to play.

Brewgolfer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2018

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 05/22/2018:

Thank you so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

"Easily a top 10 course in the state of Indiana"

JupiterIslandGolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2018

I've been playing this course for over 20 years. I moved away to Florida five years ago and came back and played it yesterday. better condition than I've ever seen it. staff is very helpful and friendly. tee times are on time. Unlike most Indiana Public courses there isn't a house on the course. Fairways tees and greens are in excellent condition. the Fort is always been a top 10 course in my opinion... you'd be stupid to play anywhere else for the money.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 05/22/2018:

"Empty course still slow"

Tyler1725434's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2018

There were not many groups on the course, yet we still got stacked behind 2 groups of elderly gentlemen that were in no hurry. In the process of playing it would typically be us waiting at the tee box on every hole and waiting to hit approaches on longer holes. The course ranger even stopped and mentioned how slow the group in front of us was playing, then turns and drives away. I have no problem with people wanting to take their time playing but if that’s your plan let the faster groups play through.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 05/07/2018:

"The Fort"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2018

I took several of my friends that had expressed a desire to play this course. They were not disappointed. We had a great time on a fantastic course. The staff was great. We ate lunch at the snack bar and the food was fresh.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 06/01/2018:

Thank you Poncho927 so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 04/25/2018:

"Great course with lots of twists and turns"

chuckfrary's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

As early in the season as it is we were thrilled to see how the course is in such great condition. The Fort is one of my favorite courses in the Indy area.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 04/23/2018:

Thank you chuckfrary so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

"Cart path only"

jeremy5040's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2018

Just prepare yourself before to even book it. They love their cart path only....

It’s an incredible course. Just wish they would easy up on the carts path stuff.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 04/16/2018:

Thank you Jeremy5040 so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

"Great fall golf experience"

Brookscm72's avatar
Indiana Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2017

Had a nice day of near freezing with some golf spliced in! We got a great deal on GolfNow, so it was nice to get out.

This is a great fall golf course, with plenty of elevation to offer admirable views of the foliage. They do a good job clearing leaves, so it wasn't really an issue. Tees were just ok; fairways & rough were in good shape. Bunkers were ok (not all had been raked). We'd had rain earlier in week, but in my experience the course always drains well. Greens are top notch, even this late in season, even with them punched. Fast.

Conditions are almost always great and today was solid for Nov. This is one of Pete Dye's less-obvious designs in my opinion. Not a lot of rr ties, not a lot of intimidating tee shots. There is trouble right on a lot of holes, but that's expected. Greens are fair, not overly undulating. The course starts pretty friendly, then gets going on #4 (kinda tight! par = good here). The tee shot on 6 should be from one of the upper tees, it's too nice to drive down to the lower boxes; same with #11. Both nines finish strong, getting par on each is good news. There's a few tee shots that offer risk-reward bunkers to go for...but not today, too cold & windy to really get the ball out there.

We zipped around pretty fast & drove the whole way home with the heater on high. One of Indy's best, this place is a good idea every time.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/27/2017:

Thanks Brookscm72 for your review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you had a good time on the course and we hope to see you back again very soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

"Great course"

tubecutboss's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2017

Want to return in warmer weather and dryer course. Course was in great shape for this time of year leaves were not a problem . Didn't use the off course amenities so I was not able to rate them .

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/21/2017:

Thanks tubecutboss for your 5-star review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you had a good time on the course and we hope to see you back again very soon!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/10/2017

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/13/2017:

Thanks for the great review. We love that think you we are "the best course around Indianapolis." Please come back and see us again very soon!

"very pleasntly surprized"

kanick's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

Make this course a must play greens were great, fairways were super, love the layout of this golf course, next visit will have some course knowledge, on the best positions to play from, was a nice fall day with nice colors and even though had just arrfied was very nice will be back again for sure

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/13/2017:

Thanks kanick for your review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you had a good time on the course and we hope to have you back again very soon!