The Fort Golf Resort

• 6002 N Post Rd, Indianapolis, Indiana 46216, Marion County
  • www.thefortgolfcourse.com

Year built: 1997
Architect(s): Pete Dye (1998), Tim Liddy (1998)
Type: Resort
Golf Season: Open: 4/01 Closed: 11/01

Carts: Yes - included in green fee
Caddies: No

Dress code: Shirts must have collars. Tank tops, t-shirts, cut-offs, and athletic shorts are not permitted.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes thick rough   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

"Great fall golf experience"

Brookscm72's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2017

Had a nice day of near freezing with some golf spliced in! We got a great deal on GolfNow, so it was nice to get out.

This is a great fall golf course, with plenty of elevation to offer admirable views of the foliage. They do a good job clearing leaves, so it wasn't really an issue. Tees were just ok; fairways & rough were in good shape. Bunkers were ok (not all had been raked). We'd had rain earlier in week, but in my experience the course always drains well. Greens are top notch, even this late in season, even with them punched. Fast.

Conditions are almost always great and today was solid for Nov. This is one of Pete Dye's less-obvious designs in my opinion. Not a lot of rr ties, not a lot of intimidating tee shots. There is trouble right on a lot of holes, but that's expected. Greens are fair, not overly undulating. The course starts pretty friendly, then gets going on #4 (kinda tight! par = good here). The tee shot on 6 should be from one of the upper tees, it's too nice to drive down to the lower boxes; same with #11. Both nines finish strong, getting par on each is good news. There's a few tee shots that offer risk-reward bunkers to go for...but not today, too cold & windy to really get the ball out there.

We zipped around pretty fast & drove the whole way home with the heater on high. One of Indy's best, this place is a good idea every time.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/27/2017:

Thanks Brookscm72 for your review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you had a good time on the course and we hope to see you back again very soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

"Great course"

tubecutboss's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2017

Want to return in warmer weather and dryer course. Course was in great shape for this time of year leaves were not a problem . Didn't use the off course amenities so I was not able to rate them .

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/21/2017:

Thanks tubecutboss for your 5-star review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you had a good time on the course and we hope to see you back again very soon!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/10/2017

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/13/2017:

Thanks for the great review. We love that think you we are "the best course around Indianapolis." Please come back and see us again very soon!

"very pleasntly surprized"

kanick's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

Make this course a must play greens were great, fairways were super, love the layout of this golf course, next visit will have some course knowledge, on the best positions to play from, was a nice fall day with nice colors and even though had just arrfied was very nice will be back again for sure

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/13/2017:

Thanks kanick for your review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you had a good time on the course and we hope to have you back again very soon!

"Wow"

jeremy5040's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

Top 5 course in Indiana. Just an incredible course.

Wide fairways with beautiful trees up each side. The par 3’s are my favorite.

I can’t belive this was my first round here. I’ll be back.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/08/2017:

Thanks jeremy5040 for your 5-star review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you enjoyed your round of golf here at The Fort Golf Resort and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"Beautiful Course Lacking Matching 19th Hole"

Phines's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017

This is perhaps the most beautiful public course in Indianapolis. The combination of beautiful woods, rolling hills, and protected environmental areas make this challenging layout a feast for the golfers eyes.

The multiple tee boxes allow this to be played anywhere between 6000 to 7000 yards, allowing quick play for all handicaps.

The golf course is 5-star. So it's strange that there really isn't a nice clubhouse paired with it. After a great round of golf, you are forced offsite to have a sandwich and beer. This is too bad given the awesome settings that are available on site to host such a pub/19th hole.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 10/17/2017:

Thanks Phines for your 5-star review and feedback. Please let us know if you ever need anything and come back and see us again very soon for more of the best golf in Indianapolis, IN.

"best in indy."

sycamorehills's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Weather was not very good. Intermittent rain and soggy conditions. Was surprised not on cart paths. First time playing course and a real challenge. I'm a 8 hdcp. and shot 90. Some real difficult holes. Felt like you're playing in TN. Fairways and greens were very good. Pro shop attendants were knowledgeable and helpful. Friendliest starter I have ever encountered. Will be back

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 10/09/2017:

Thanks sycamorehills for your 5-star review of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and are thrilled you had a good time on the course and our staff took such good care of you. Please come back and see us again very soon.

"Gorgeous and challenging."

Hardisty's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/28/2017

The $55 price I got on GolfNow made it a no-brainer to pick this course. The 92 I put up does not reflect all the free drops I got out of the tall stuff. If you haven't played this course I would suggest you get out and play it especially with the Fall colors coming around it's a gorgeous place to play

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 10/02/2017:

Thank you Hardisty for your review and feedback of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and we hope to see you back again very soon for more of the best golf in the area.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2017

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 09/12/2017:

Thanks so much for the fantastic 5-star review of The Fort Golf Resort. We are thrilled you had an overall great day on the course and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"The Fort after Labor day 2017"

Jeff2727455's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

If you have not played this course then you should. Rolling terrain in the heart of Indiana. Very scenic very fun and challenging course to play. Fair for the ladies as well. Have played here multiple times before and it never disappoints. Staff is wonderful and the entire experience is great.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 09/07/2017:

Thanks Jeff for the great review of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"Great Course, nice staff, BUT HORRIBLE GREEN CONDITIONS"

mikephelps5's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2017

The Fort is a beautiful layout. The staff is very friendly. The tee boxes and fairways are in good condition. BUT--I have never seen greens in such horrible conditions. Greens are horribly cratered from un-repaired or improperly repaired divots. Player education about the proper method and importance of divot repair before they play would help. Continual green repair and rolling might help.

It's unfortunate, because the course is a beautiful layout. The current conditions of the greens make it nearly unplayable.

Otherwise the course is very good.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/30/2017:

Thanks mikephelps5 we appreciate your 3-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round again very soon!

"Poor greens"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2017

Great course, beautiful course....greens in terrible shape.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/30/2017:

Thanks for your 3-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round again very soon!

"What happened to the Greens?"

robmac28's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2017

This is a top notch track. I only get to play here a few times a year as the fees are a little steep. I alway consider it a treat to play The Fort. This time out it was just unfortunate that we played behind some very slow groups that obviously did not know golf educate. That tends to happen every now and then no matter where you play. The real concern was that the greens were not in top notch shape as I always look forward to. The greens were very beat up with tons of ball marks. I would fix mine and many more every time I was on the greens. They were very bumpy and surprisingly slow. I played a City course on the west side of Indy the prior day that had smooth and fast greens. Just very disappointed with the greens!

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/24/2017:

Thanks, robmac28 for the review of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and we apologize for the pace of place and conditions. We will address this immediately and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"4 Star Course - 5 Star Price"

DrOldSchool's avatar
Indy Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2017

Gave The Fort another go today and it was in better shape than when I played and reviewed it this time last year. Still a bit rough around the edges in spots, especially on the front. But overall it's an interesting layout with lots of elevation change. Fairways are wide, and greens are not as tricked up as others around here.

Still, my playing partner and I both agreed - for the price point, we expected a little more and would rather go to others like Prairie View, Bear Slide, or Purgatory over this course. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad course - far from it actually. Top 5 in the area? No. Top 10? Yes. Ultimately, it's just not worth what they charge for full freight when there are better options cheaper nearby.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/24/2017:

Thanks, DrOldSchool for the 4-star review and feedback of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"Golf maintenance"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

The golf course was in fantastic shape. The greens,the bunkers,and the condition of the course was outstanding. For the price it is the best maintained course I have played in the lsat 3 years

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/24/2017:

Thanks so much for your review and feedback of our golf course. Please let us know if you ever need anything and come back and see us again soon!

"The Fort experience"

Jeff8089060's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

This is a Pete Dye design and can be a little difficult at times. Course was beautiful and hilly for Indiana. A former military owned course taken over by the national parks. Very nice layout that will test your skills. If you play it twice, play white tees first and then then from the tips. Totally different experience. Greens are a little quick with enough bumps and slope to make it very interesting.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/24/2017:

Thank you Jeff for the 4-star review and feedback of our golf course. We love hearing you enjoyed the course and we hope to see you back again soon!

"A bit beat up"

Sean9871545's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

My buddy and I had heard a lot about the Pete Dye re-design so we decided to check out The Fort on a recent golf trip to Indy.

I must say it was a beautiful track. People had told us that when you play The Fort, you won't feel like you are in Indiana because of all the elevation changes and sweeping views. They were right. In that regard, and in that regard ONLY, it reminded me of the Pete Dye Course in French Lick.

My buddy enjoyed The Fort more than I did. Of the five courses we played while in Indy, The Fort was easily the most beat up. Tough to get a level lie on some tee boxes and the par-3 tee boxes were absolutely weed-infested. The greens looked like they had received a beating as well with pockmarks everywhere.

All in all, I would play The Fort again just to see if I get the same experience and try to give it another chance.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/24/2017:

Thanks for the great review of our golf course. We appreciate you bringing your friend out to the course and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"Another great day at The Fort"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

Picture perfect weather didn't hurt. Course is picturesque, challenging enough but not unfair.

Twilight rates are a great deal.

Nasty wasp infestation on one of the back 9 greens that I trust has already been dealt with.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 07/28/2017:

Thank you so much for the 5-star review of our golf course. We are thrilled to see the weather cooperated and you were able to get in a good challenging round. Please let us know if you ever need anything while you are here and come back and see us again very soon!

"memorable muni"

dukhux18's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

A great layout. This course will dirty all of your clubs. A great mix of long and short holes with a collection of excellent par three's. The staff is friendly and the lunch buffet was fantastic.

"Great conditions"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017

Even with rain delay, course dried fast. Greens were still fast and true. Top local course in Indy.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 07/26/2017:

Thanks so much for the great 5-star review of the conditions of the course. Please let us know if you ever need anything and come back and see us again very soon.