The Fort Golf Resort

• 6002 N Post Rd, Indianapolis, Indiana 46216, Marion County
  • www.thefortgolfcourse.com

Year built: 1997
Architect(s): Pete Dye (1998), Tim Liddy (1998)
Type: Resort
Golf Season: Open: 4/01 Closed: 11/01

Carts: Yes - included in green fee
Caddies: No

Dress code: Shirts must have collars. Tank tops, t-shirts, cut-offs, and athletic shorts are not permitted.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes thick rough   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

Brewgolfer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2018

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 05/22/2018:

Thank you so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon.

"Easily a top 10 course in the state of Indiana"

JupiterIslandGolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2018

I've been playing this course for over 20 years. I moved away to Florida five years ago and came back and played it yesterday. better condition than I've ever seen it. staff is very helpful and friendly. tee times are on time. Unlike most Indiana Public courses there isn't a house on the course. Fairways tees and greens are in excellent condition. the Fort is always been a top 10 course in my opinion... you'd be stupid to play anywhere else for the money.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 05/22/2018:

"Empty course still slow"

Tyler1725434's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2018

There were not many groups on the course, yet we still got stacked behind 2 groups of elderly gentlemen that were in no hurry. In the process of playing it would typically be us waiting at the tee box on every hole and waiting to hit approaches on longer holes. The course ranger even stopped and mentioned how slow the group in front of us was playing, then turns and drives away. I have no problem with people wanting to take their time playing but if that’s your plan let the faster groups play through.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 05/07/2018:

We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We hope you'll give us another try in the near future.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 04/25/2018:

We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

"Great course with lots of twists and turns"

chuckfrary's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2018

As early in the season as it is we were thrilled to see how the course is in such great condition. The Fort is one of my favorite courses in the Indy area.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 04/23/2018:

Thank you chuckfrary so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

"Cart path only"

jeremy5040's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2018

Just prepare yourself before to even book it. They love their cart path only....

It’s an incredible course. Just wish they would easy up on the carts path stuff.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 04/16/2018:

Thank you Jeremy5040 so much for taking the time and for your 5-star rating! Book another round with us soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

"Great fall golf experience"

Brookscm72's avatar
Indiana Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2017

Had a nice day of near freezing with some golf spliced in! We got a great deal on GolfNow, so it was nice to get out.

This is a great fall golf course, with plenty of elevation to offer admirable views of the foliage. They do a good job clearing leaves, so it wasn't really an issue. Tees were just ok; fairways & rough were in good shape. Bunkers were ok (not all had been raked). We'd had rain earlier in week, but in my experience the course always drains well. Greens are top notch, even this late in season, even with them punched. Fast.

Conditions are almost always great and today was solid for Nov. This is one of Pete Dye's less-obvious designs in my opinion. Not a lot of rr ties, not a lot of intimidating tee shots. There is trouble right on a lot of holes, but that's expected. Greens are fair, not overly undulating. The course starts pretty friendly, then gets going on #4 (kinda tight! par = good here). The tee shot on 6 should be from one of the upper tees, it's too nice to drive down to the lower boxes; same with #11. Both nines finish strong, getting par on each is good news. There's a few tee shots that offer risk-reward bunkers to go for...but not today, too cold & windy to really get the ball out there.

We zipped around pretty fast & drove the whole way home with the heater on high. One of Indy's best, this place is a good idea every time.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/27/2017:

Thanks Brookscm72 for your review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you had a good time on the course and we hope to see you back again very soon here at The Fort Golf Resort.

"Great course"

tubecutboss's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2017

Want to return in warmer weather and dryer course. Course was in great shape for this time of year leaves were not a problem . Didn't use the off course amenities so I was not able to rate them .

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/21/2017:

Thanks tubecutboss for your 5-star review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you had a good time on the course and we hope to see you back again very soon!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/10/2017

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/13/2017:

Thanks for the great review. We love that think you we are "the best course around Indianapolis." Please come back and see us again very soon!

"very pleasntly surprized"

kanick's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

Make this course a must play greens were great, fairways were super, love the layout of this golf course, next visit will have some course knowledge, on the best positions to play from, was a nice fall day with nice colors and even though had just arrfied was very nice will be back again for sure

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/13/2017:

Thanks kanick for your review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you had a good time on the course and we hope to have you back again very soon!

"Wow"

jeremy5040's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

Top 5 course in Indiana. Just an incredible course.

Wide fairways with beautiful trees up each side. The par 3’s are my favorite.

I can’t belive this was my first round here. I’ll be back.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 11/08/2017:

Thanks jeremy5040 for your 5-star review and feedback on our golf course. We love seeing you enjoyed your round of golf here at The Fort Golf Resort and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"Beautiful Course Lacking Matching 19th Hole"

Phines's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017

This is perhaps the most beautiful public course in Indianapolis. The combination of beautiful woods, rolling hills, and protected environmental areas make this challenging layout a feast for the golfers eyes.

The multiple tee boxes allow this to be played anywhere between 6000 to 7000 yards, allowing quick play for all handicaps.

The golf course is 5-star. So it's strange that there really isn't a nice clubhouse paired with it. After a great round of golf, you are forced offsite to have a sandwich and beer. This is too bad given the awesome settings that are available on site to host such a pub/19th hole.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 10/17/2017:

Thanks Phines for your 5-star review and feedback. Please let us know if you ever need anything and come back and see us again very soon for more of the best golf in Indianapolis, IN.

"best in indy."

sycamorehills's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Weather was not very good. Intermittent rain and soggy conditions. Was surprised not on cart paths. First time playing course and a real challenge. I'm a 8 hdcp. and shot 90. Some real difficult holes. Felt like you're playing in TN. Fairways and greens were very good. Pro shop attendants were knowledgeable and helpful. Friendliest starter I have ever encountered. Will be back

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 10/09/2017:

Thanks sycamorehills for your 5-star review of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and are thrilled you had a good time on the course and our staff took such good care of you. Please come back and see us again very soon.

"Gorgeous and challenging."

Hardisty's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/28/2017

The $55 price I got on GolfNow made it a no-brainer to pick this course. The 92 I put up does not reflect all the free drops I got out of the tall stuff. If you haven't played this course I would suggest you get out and play it especially with the Fall colors coming around it's a gorgeous place to play

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 10/02/2017:

Thank you Hardisty for your review and feedback of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and we hope to see you back again very soon for more of the best golf in the area.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2017

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 09/12/2017:

Thanks so much for the fantastic 5-star review of The Fort Golf Resort. We are thrilled you had an overall great day on the course and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"The Fort after Labor day 2017"

Jeff2727455's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

If you have not played this course then you should. Rolling terrain in the heart of Indiana. Very scenic very fun and challenging course to play. Fair for the ladies as well. Have played here multiple times before and it never disappoints. Staff is wonderful and the entire experience is great.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 09/07/2017:

Thanks Jeff for the great review of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"Great Course, nice staff, BUT HORRIBLE GREEN CONDITIONS"

mikephelps5's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2017

The Fort is a beautiful layout. The staff is very friendly. The tee boxes and fairways are in good condition. BUT--I have never seen greens in such horrible conditions. Greens are horribly cratered from un-repaired or improperly repaired divots. Player education about the proper method and importance of divot repair before they play would help. Continual green repair and rolling might help.

It's unfortunate, because the course is a beautiful layout. The current conditions of the greens make it nearly unplayable.

Otherwise the course is very good.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/30/2017:

Thanks mikephelps5 we appreciate your 3-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round again very soon!

"Poor greens"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2017

Great course, beautiful course....greens in terrible shape.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/30/2017:

Thanks for your 3-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round again very soon!

"What happened to the Greens?"

robmac28's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/15/2017

This is a top notch track. I only get to play here a few times a year as the fees are a little steep. I alway consider it a treat to play The Fort. This time out it was just unfortunate that we played behind some very slow groups that obviously did not know golf educate. That tends to happen every now and then no matter where you play. The real concern was that the greens were not in top notch shape as I always look forward to. The greens were very beat up with tons of ball marks. I would fix mine and many more every time I was on the greens. They were very bumpy and surprisingly slow. I played a City course on the west side of Indy the prior day that had smooth and fast greens. Just very disappointed with the greens!

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/24/2017:

Thanks, robmac28 for the review of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and we apologize for the pace of place and conditions. We will address this immediately and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"4 Star Course - 5 Star Price"

DrOldSchool's avatar
Indy Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2017

Gave The Fort another go today and it was in better shape than when I played and reviewed it this time last year. Still a bit rough around the edges in spots, especially on the front. But overall it's an interesting layout with lots of elevation change. Fairways are wide, and greens are not as tricked up as others around here.

Still, my playing partner and I both agreed - for the price point, we expected a little more and would rather go to others like Prairie View, Bear Slide, or Purgatory over this course. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad course - far from it actually. Top 5 in the area? No. Top 10? Yes. Ultimately, it's just not worth what they charge for full freight when there are better options cheaper nearby.

Response from The Fort Golf Resort on 08/24/2017:

Thanks, DrOldSchool for the 4-star review and feedback of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and we hope to see you back again very soon!