Style Traditional
Amana Colonies Golf Club
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1989
Architect William J. Spear

Dress code Proper golf attire preferred.

Bar, Grill

Clubhouse

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Iowa (2018 #5)

Group Getaways 8

Spectacular

I have been traveling around Iowa this week playing some of the better thought of courses. I was getting a bit tired, so I thought about skipping this one but man am I glad I didn't. Lovely setting amidst many trees. Saw lots of wildlife.

Off the tee many of the holes/fairways look tight but overall it is more forgiving than it appears. The course seemed to play longer than it's yardage. The fairways and greens were pretty soft when I played. Greens rolled nicely, but were far from easy. Challenging but fair ... like the rest of the course.

I had a few older gentlemen at another course warn me "you won't have a flat lie all day out there!" Yes there are a lot of elevation changes and I guess some people don't like hitting to elevated greens (which isn't always the case here) but I found it all around pleasant and plenty of flat lies to be found. The more narrow of the fairways seemed to have slope on the sides of the fairway to help keep mis-hits safer.

There were a few times where I felt like I knew where my drive or shot would end up and was perplexed to find it ran off somewhere unexpected. Part of playing a course for the first time I suppose.

The clubhouse is a temporary one (albeit nice) as they had the clubhouse burn down several years ago. Still a nice place to hang out outside overlooking a pond and all the trees. Overall a very relaxing and peaceful setting and just the right amount of out of the way.

My one complaint lies in the state of the cart paths. They are aware of the issue and have plans to repair and replace them (have already started). More often than not you have to slow down due to their dilapidated state.

A great course I'm sure to visit again if back in the area. I can see how multiple plays would really help one get around this course better although I did play pretty well.

Excellent course, awesome layout, scenic, great staff, must play

Wow, what a wonderful layout course that is carved out of forest, hills, lakes, etc!

Greens are wicked good/challanging! Two putts are not guaranteed especially if putting downhill or side hill pins. Just wow! These greens will greatly challenge your putting speed/touch
and accuracy/line.

I saw at least 5-7 deer roaming around. Course is super scenic with lots of undulation. Fairways drives were usually down hill and approaches were back uphill. That and tight course overall requires a significant premium on accuracy! Extra xtra concentration required off tee boxes to ensure fairway hit or what lines to take on drives.

Staff are super nice and wants you to enjoy the course and your round! They also provide mini-yardage book = Awesome!

I would highly recommend and will definitely play again. Tips around 7K yards! Slope definitely played towards the 130-140+ listed on scorecard. I played gold tees and that was approx 6,600 yds. Almost had a hole in one on 17th hole from 210 yds as ball peeked at pin! :)

I’d maybe suggest beginners or higher handicappers “play it forward” as was promoted/campaigned by PGA tour. Maybe even skip blue and go to white tees to make round that much more enjoyable and have higher clubs for approaches. Super fun challenge and look forward to playing this gem again! This was worth every penny I paid to play.

Iowa Advisor

Almost Great

This review pains me a little. Each of the last 2 years I've played The Amana Colonies Golf Club and it's been a 5 star experience. Unfortunately, today was closer to 3 stars than 5.

The Good:
Amana is one of the most picturesque courses you will ever play. You'll see wildlife and beautiful vistas everywhere you look. The price is fair and the condition of the tees and fairways is excellent. Also, the pace of play was just under 4 hours for 18 holes.

The Average:
They had ladies league today so they had us tee off the back 9 first. As someone who doesn't handle change well, I didn't love this. Also, every par 3 played as either a 5 iron or 6 iron for me. That was pretty boring. Finally, I'd like to see them add something on the flags to make them easier to laser.

The Not So Good:
The greens were fast and bumpy, which is a bad combination. It appears they had recently been verticut and not yet recovered. I normally love fast greens, but these were too fast considering how bumpy they were. Also, we had issues with our cart not running as well as it should.

The last item on my list is just a personal observation. Amana has a lot of run off areas into hazards (no mow areas). I would like to see them leave the rough a little longer on the slopes into the hazards to prevent lost balls. I hit a couple shots today that I thought were fine. I saw them land and bounce, but we never found the ball. I can only conclude they caught a slope and ran into the hazards (no mow areas). To the club's credit, most areas are marked red which helps the pace of play.

I will definitely play Amana again. And I still recommend it. Just had a sub par experience today.

Nebraska Advisor
Featured

Very peaceful...

Tight unforgiving. The whole place is well taken care of and the staff is great. Above average.

I played twice and it can be slow at times. However, you can just enjoy being there.

There are a lot of tight tee shots and most people will lose 6-10 balls on the course.

A lot of uphill shots into the greens

Worth the trip to play

Very scenic course Entertaining holes Always in great shape Make plans to get over to play Well worth it

HIDDEN GEM

We played this course while en route to Hazeltine for the Ryder Cup. The course and its staff were awesome in every way possible. It's roughly a 4+ hour drive for me, however we will definitely be planning a 2-3 day getaway for 2017 just to stay and play this course.
If you are in the area, or traveling through the area and want to play an absolutely awesome course, please call Amana Colonies and give them your business, you won't be sorry!!! AAAAA+++++

Sunday outing

Fast and friendly staff. Moved right along a scenic monster of a golf course.

Must Play

This course was one of the nicest and most picturesque courses that I have played and this includes all of the courses I have played on the RTJ Golf Trail and Florida resort courses. The course has lots of carries over ravines off the tee and a wide variety of doglegs on most holes so you rarely have a full picture of the hole. The greens are immaculate and feature more break than the eye sees. This is a course where you need to keep notes on many of the holes to know where you can miss. I frequently got out to tee shots and found myself with poor lies and if I had known better I would have aimed differently off the tee or hit a shorter club.

Challenging and beautiful

Always enjoy playing this course even when the woods steals my golf ball. With all of the trees I think people have a tendency to get nervous when teeing it up, but once a player gets to the landing area there is a lot more room than you imagine.

18 holes of sameness

First off, the good:

The course is in exceptional condition. Fairways and tee boxes are well maintained, the greens run true, and the surrounding scenery/wildlife is exceptional. The natural beauty here is stunning.

Now the bad: The bunkers are a mess. Not maintained at all. Stay out of them, lest you want to hit out of holes that a guy on an excavator made last week.

Now the bizarre: Who the heck designed this thing? Every hole, and I mean EVERY hole, is uphill to a blind pin. Now, add a blind tee shot to many of these, then slope the fairway, then hide what passes for a landing area, and finally route almost all the holes in the same manner. It got to the point where we could literally describe the next hole, and the hole after that, and the hole after that. I don't think I have ever played a course that was so ridiculously designed. It is almost comical the way every hole bears a remarkable resemblance to the other 17. I wonder if the designer was upset that he couldn't make the par 3's blind off the tee, but he did his best to make them uphill.

It really is a shame, because the land is just begging for a golf course with a little bit of creativity - you know, silly things like doglegs and holes that play downhill, or holes that need a little bit of earth moved to give them a sense of individuality. I seem to be in the minority here, but I wouldn't get within 100 miles of Amana Colonies again, unless they let me play for free and let me take a nap halfway through.

Commented on 07/27/2016

Saying the bunkers are well maintained is simply not true. They are very inconsistent to say the least. Sometimes youll have 1/4 inch of sand, the next time 3 inches. They need to be redone quite frankly and have new 21st century tiling/drainage placed in them. That being said.. this course is still an amazing value and one of the best public tracks in the state of Iowa.

Commented on 07/27/2016

Must be upset losing a bunch of balls. You must have played after it rained. The bunkers are always kept up well. This course is unique and creative , might not set up to your shot type though. Every hole is different with lots of challenges. It's a top 3 public course in Iowa for sure.

Commented on 04/16/2016

This guy. Yes the course design can be frustrating (if you don't hit a draw) but every single par 3 is downhill. Not sure which course this person played.

Amana golf experience

I have golfed Amana golf course many times and always look forward to going back, As usual, I was NOT disappointed. It was a bit cool and some misting at the end of play but the golf was fantastic. The greens were rolling fast, probably about an 11 or 12 on the stimp, but that's part of the challenge. I love the fairway conditions but it is important to know the if you come up short on uphill approaches to the greens, don't expect the ball to bail you out and roll to the green, you have to put it on the green. I will continue to return and recommend it to anybody, but don't expect to be given any breaks on the course you have to earn them with good placement and knowing your distances with each club.

To play this great course you must be able to move the ball both ways.Very large greens so putting is at a premium.Course is in excellant condition.Loved playing.

Excellent course if at a discounted price

I have played this course 2-3 times a year for the past 5 years. My biggest compliant about this course is that it is normally over watered, which has lead to plugged balls in the fairway and almost no run out on approach shots no matter the distance. As long as you know this about the course, you can adjust for it and it is not a major concern. The staff has been friendlier over the past couple years and pace of play is always good. Course is always in great condition but I don't view this course as a good value unless you can save 40-60% from their normal green fees.

Slow play made for a long afternoon!

Great course and facilities. Saw the ranger 2 or 3 times on the front BUT not once on the back nine. I played in a 3-some with a 2-some in front and a 4-some of terrible golfers in front of the 2-some. The 4-some didn't let the 2-some go through until the 17th hole. I had driven 90+ miles to play a great course and the back nine waiting on every shot made for a very irritating 9 holes of golf. The course was in great shape and quite challenging with almost every hole having an elevation change.

Top 3 course in C.R./IA City

Great staff and set up. Challenging, scenic and very fun course to play. Always plays soft. Always. Water stations proportionally though out. Would recommend not even thinking about walking this course. Top 3 in Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area that the public can play.

Oh man Amana!

This scenic course is for the serious golfer who enjoys accuracy and precision in his shot selection. The fairways are narrow but the greens are long and wide. The course's natural beauty can also be enjoyed by the novice player who brings an extra box (not sleeve) of balls!

Amana Colonies Golf Course . Well worth the drive

Four of us went to Amana Colonies for golf. Two of the foursome had played the Amana years ago and two had never been there. I is a beautiful course. Greens were in perfect condition. Fairways were wide. Rough was thick. A lot of lost balls trees and rough can be tough on your ball supply. Overall excellent and beautiful course. We will definitely return. We are from Des Moines. Well worth the drive for a day of challenging golf and comraderie.

Challenging. Narrow Fairways and blind shots to the greens. Hilly

Hills with views

We played mid week and literally had the course to ourselves. This is a well maintained course that's very hilly. Good test of golf. Better have your uphill and downhill shots. Property has over 600 acres, so you don't see other holes when playing. Enjoyable round!

Marengo, Iowa