Amana Colonies Golf Club
Scorecard for Amana Colonies
Black M: 73.1/123 420 522 412 179 372 548 348 191 368 3360 418 530 432 182 350 527 405 204 416 3464 6824
Blue M: 72.6/122 403 511 407 166 360 521 338 174 361 3241 394 521 414 159 327 512 388 192 392 3299 6540
White M: 70.7/121 388 491 391 149 341 504 331 155 358 3108 382 508 388 155 306 488 370 176 313 3086 6194
Gold M: 69.2/117 378 456 365 120 328 489 298 131 344 2909 359 477 356 145 289 460 353 162 294 2895 5804
Red W: 67.1/113 348 431 343 119 236 450 261 96 313 2597 347 441 328 97 235 440 334 134 275 2631 5228

Year Built 1989
Fairways Bent grass
Greens Bent grass
Architect William J. Spear

Dress code Proper golf attire preferred.

Group Getaways 7
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 6

Almost Great

This review pains me a little. Each of the last 2 years I've played The Amana Colonies Golf Club and it's been a 5 star experience. Unfortunately, today was closer to 3 stars than 5.

The Good:

Amana is one of the most picturesque courses you will ever play. You'll see wildlife and beautiful vistas everywhere you look. The price is fair and the condition of the tees and fairways is excellent. Also, the pace of play was just under 4 hours for 18 holes.

The Average:

They had ladies league today so they had us tee off the back 9 first. As someone who doesn't handle change well, I didn't love this. Also, every par 3 played as either a 5 iron or 6 iron for me. That was pretty boring. Finally, I'd like to see them add something on the flags to make them easier to laser.

The Not So Good:

The greens were fast and bumpy, which is a bad combination. It appears they had recently been verticut and not yet recovered. I normally love fast greens, but these were too fast considering how bumpy they were. Also, we had issues with our cart not running as well as it should.

The last item on my list is just a personal observation. Amana has a lot of run off areas into hazards (no mow areas). I would like to see them leave the rough a little longer on the slopes into the hazards to prevent lost balls. I hit a couple shots today that I thought were fine. I saw them land and bounce, but we never found the ball. I can only conclude they caught a slope and ran into the hazards (no mow areas). To the club's credit, most areas are marked red which helps the pace of play.

I will definitely play Amana again. And I still recommend it. Just had a sub par experience today.

Nebraska Advisor
Featured

Very peaceful...

Tight unforgiving. The whole place is well taken care of and the staff is great. Above average.

I played twice and it can be slow at times. However, you can just enjoy being there.

There are a lot of tight tee shots and most people will lose 6-10 balls on the course.

A lot of uphill shots into the greens

Worth the trip to play

Very scenic course Entertaining holes Always in great shape Make plans to get over to play Well worth it

HIDDEN GEM

We played this course while en route to Hazeltine for the Ryder Cup. The course and its staff were awesome in every way possible. It's roughly a 4+ hour drive for me, however we will definitely be planning a 2-3 day getaway for 2017 just to stay and play this course.

If you are in the area, or traveling through the area and want to play an absolutely awesome course, please call Amana Colonies and give them your business, you won't be sorry!!! AAAAA+++++

Sunday outing

Fast and friendly staff. Moved right along a scenic monster of a golf course.

Must Play

This course was one of the nicest and most picturesque courses that I have played and this includes all of the courses I have played on the RTJ Golf Trail and Florida resort courses. The course has lots of carries over ravines off the tee and a wide variety of doglegs on most holes so you rarely have a full picture of the hole. The greens are immaculate and feature more break than the eye sees. This is a course where you need to keep notes on many of the holes to know where you can miss. I frequently got out to tee shots and found myself with poor lies and if I had known better I would have aimed differently off the tee or hit a shorter club.

Challenging and beautiful

Always enjoy playing this course even when the woods steals my golf ball. With all of the trees I think people have a tendency to get nervous when teeing it up, but once a player gets to the landing area there is a lot more room than you imagine.

18 holes of sameness

First off, the good: The course is in exceptional condition. Fairways and tee boxes are well maintained, the greens run true, and the surrounding scenery/wildlife is exceptional. The natural beauty here is stunning. Now the bad: The bunkers are a mess. Not maintained at all. Stay out of them, lest you want to hit out of holes that a guy on an excavator made last week. Now the bizarre: Who the heck designed this thing? Every hole, and I mean EVERY hole, is uphill to a blind pin. Now, add a blind tee shot to many of these, then slope the fairway, then hide what passes for a landing area, and finally route almost all the holes in the same manner. It got to the point where we could literally describe the next hole, and the hole after that, and the hole after that. I don't think I have ever played a course that was so ridiculously designed. It is almost comical the way every hole bears a remarkable resemblance to the other 17. I wonder if the designer was upset that he couldn't make the par 3's blind off the tee, but he did his best to make them uphill. It really is a shame, because the land is just begging for a golf course with a little bit of creativity - you know, silly things like doglegs and holes that play downhill, or holes that need a little bit of earth moved to give them a sense of individuality. I seem to be in the minority here, but I wouldn't get within 100 miles of Amana Colonies again, unless they let me play for free and let me take a nap halfway through.

u000002512237
Commented On 07/27/2016

Saying the bunkers are well maintained is simply not true. They are very inconsistent to say the least. Sometimes youll have 1/4 inch of sand, the next time 3 inches. They need to be redone quite frankly and have new 21st century tiling/drainage placed in them. That being said.. this course is still an amazing value and one of the best public tracks in the state of Iowa.

Earlthepearl10
Commented On 07/27/2016

Must be upset losing a bunch of balls. You must have played after it rained. The bunkers are always kept up well. This course is unique and creative , might not set up to your shot type though. Every hole is different with lots of challenges. It's a top 3 public course in Iowa for sure.

u000002512237
Commented On 04/16/2016

This guy. Yes the course design can be frustrating (if you don't hit a draw) but every single par 3 is downhill. Not sure which course this person played.

Amana golf experience

I have golfed Amana golf course many times and always look forward to going back, As usual, I was NOT disappointed. It was a bit cool and some misting at the end of play but the golf was fantastic. The greens were rolling fast, probably about an 11 or 12 on the stimp, but that's part of the challenge. I love the fairway conditions but it is important to know the if you come up short on uphill approaches to the greens, don't expect the ball to bail you out and roll to the green, you have to put it on the green. I will continue to return and recommend it to anybody, but don't expect to be given any breaks on the course you have to earn them with good placement and knowing your distances with each club.

To play this great course you must be able to move the ball both ways.Very large greens so putting is at a premium.Course is in excellant condition.Loved playing.

Valid dates: Sep 03, 2018 - Oct 21, 2018
Book this Stay and Play package to enjoy your stay at the Stowe Mountain Lodge which includes 1 round at the exclusive Mountain Course at Spruce Peak (Formerly known as the Stowe Mountain Course) and unlimited rounds at the Stowe Country Club!