Cochiti Golf Club

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express

Location is worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers undulating greens

"Hidden gem midway between Albuquerque and Santa Fe"

FrazeThatPays's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/01/2017

I've been playing Cochiti once every year or so for the past 20 years. I love this course as it is incredibly scenic, peaceful, fun, & challenging. At times on a typical day you feel like you are the only people out there. The layout, while not overly long at their elevation above sea level, offers a wide variety of holes. Short part 3's, long par 3's, driveable par 4's, long par 5's, etc.

The bar & grill is serviceable if not spectacular. No GPS on the carts and very likely you will NOT have cell service to use a GPS app. Sprinkler heads with yardages on them are hard to find so bring your range finder!

My rating for Value for the Money is due to a pet peeve - they make you pay separate for range balls. Whenever you are playing any course with greens fees over $50, I just feel like range balls to warm up should be included.

The conditions and weather were fantastic for this round, close to the best I've seen them in quite a few years. Fall is an absolutely great time for golf in central & southern NM. Pace of Play was OK (4hrs, 45min); we waited a few times on the front 9, but we were a twosome behind a threesome.

Even saw my first tarantula crossing the 14th fairway!

"A solid "southwest" golf experience"

sorenj's avatar
Idaho Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather

As the last course on my “Southwest Swing” Cochiti was, by far, the most “Southwest” (at least in the sense of what I expected going into the rounds). High desert surroundings (Sage Brush, small scraggly trees, dried grass and rocks) frame lush fairways and greens creating a strikingly sharp contrast.

I found Cochiti in great shape. They had just aerated, but that in no way effected my round. The greens were in rolling well (although we did have to fix a few extra ball marks along the way, certainly not the courses fault), the fairways were well groomed, and - while wet from the previous days rain - the rough was manicured and fair (I know because I spent more time than usual there).

I also enjoyed the layout of the course. Rather than try to ensconce the natural elevation changes of the environment into the course, they were used to create contrast wherever possible. This is a Robert Trent Jones course, and it shows. “Vista point” elevated tee’s, requiring a decent carry over native areas to be safe, dot the course; and the desire to take out my camera and capture yet another cool tee shot was a repeating theme.

I played the blues which are almost 600 yards longer than the whites. Mostly the difference was just distance, but there were a few where it changed the way I attacked the hole. I appreciated this, as I don’t play the back just so I can use a longer club from the tee box.

I found the staff very friendly, especially the starter who verbally walked me through most of the challenging holes on the course when he found out I was a first time player. This was especially valuable on #10 which has a large water hazard invisible from the tee box but absolutely reachable with a driver. Even the grounds crew was engaging, complimenting me on my (almost) birdie on the hole they were working on and chatting with me about the course and my experience in general.

Not only would I play Cochiti again, I’d really like to because I didn’t have my best game today, so I don’t think I gave it much of a test.

"Overall Good Experience"

hacksalot03's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Overall a solid value. Course was in much better shape than when I first played there a few years back. Is a scenic course a little ways away from Santa Fe and Albuquerque but worth the drive. Staff very friendly. Would play here again.

"Best Public Golf in Santa Fe"

Robstnr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

35 minute drive from Santa Fe. We played with an early tee time. 4 hour round. The course is in perfect condition. Interesting routing. The scenery is spectacular. Reasonable price. 5 star rating in my book. My favorite public course in Santa Fe. (the best course is the private Sunrise course at Las Campanas). Have a green chile cheeseburger after your round. Mmm

"Terrible Tee Time Management!"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/21/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

We reserved a Tee time. We drove 2.5 hrs from our vacation in Taos to play this course. Play being the key word. When we were sent to the FIRST tee, there was already 5 other carts lined up to start. While we waited, 3 more carts lined up behind us. A total of 19 people all waiting to start! We went on a Tues morning at 10 am. Needless to say, you got to hit A ball about every 20 minutes. The rest of the time you sit. There was a family of 4 leading the pack, with 2 young children playing, who wasn't letting anyone play through. A course Marshall finally showed up right before the 9th hole, and then the family let us play through. As we went through, we then caught up to an older foursome, and allowed 2 faster playing guys behind us to play through. So, we were still boxed in on all sides.

So, after 6 hrs on the course, 4 hrs of it spent sitting, we then got to drive 2.5 hrs back to Taos. Needless to say, no matter how beautiful a course it is, it doesn't compensate for staring at the same greens for 30 min.

We will never play here again, as it's obvious taking your money is their only interest, not giving you a good golfing experience.

Kansas Couple

Visited June 2016

"Fun and Scenic"

mssands's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Great views and a friendly staff started the day off right. The course is not particularly challenging but there is definitely some shot golf to be had. Lots of fun holes with different strategies available depending on your mood. I would strongly consider joining the men's club if I lived in the area. Worth the drive.

"Enchanting fun in NM"

JeffArenson's avatar
Denver Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Pueblo Di Cochiti is between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Not a far drive from either, the course is closer to Santa Fe. The course has a putting green, driving range and restaurant on site to meet what you need. The staff in the restaurant and pro shop are very nice and helpful. If you are in the restaurant, get something with Green Chile.<br/> The area is high desert with scenic views of mountains and mesas. They have shoulder season deals; I played for $30 with a cart-excellent value.<br/> The course itself must be quite challenging from the back tees. If you choose the correct tees, there will be a good mix of challenge and fun. Fairways are wide but not too wide. I played in early spring so there wasn't much rough to speak of. There are not too many bunkers. Water does come into play on a few holes and there are forced approaches over it. Par 3s have a variety of lengths and directions. A couple of the par 5s can be had in two if you hit two great shots. They also vary in direction. I think that the par 4 10th is the "Signature Hole" with a carry over water to a peninsula green. There are other holes which stand out; such as, the 8th. If you take the hero line with a long carry, it is drivable. Risk-Reward. There are other holes with risk-reward strategy. A few holes have elevation to change, but not all of them so it isn't redundant.<br/> Over all, Pueblo De Cochiti is yet another course worth seeing if in New Mexico. If you find yourself in the Land of Enchantment it is a good place to spend a day.

"Land of Enchantment"

sergilla42's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/11/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Playing in NM is the greatest- the weather- the people- the workers of Cochiti are always great- Need to do it again soon!!

"Challenging Beauty"

primoswift's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/15/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

If you haven't played the track before, do it!!! It is a must play for any golf enthusiast who can respect the design of a course that takes such advantage of the natural lay of the land...<br/> Simply put, it is an amazing bargain and a fantastic lay out with blind shots, challenging greens and scenic views.

"New Mexico Beautiful"

toyautoman's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This is a hidden gem in NM between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Stunning views, great conditions and friendly staff. You can't go wrong unless you get stuck behind players who are struggling. Stay in the fairways and enjoy yourself. Watch for rattlesnakes if you get too far off course!

"Very nice."

kcg003's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Only course I have played in the Santa Fe area. I got a twilight rate at $25 with a cart, so I was off to a great start. The weather finally got comfortable enough to go play, although it was still windy there were plenty of places on the course that were out of the wind, plus the wind didn't really affect my play. This course looked like it got through winter without to much injury. Some of the fairways had dead spots, but overall they were in good shape. The greens were fantastic. A little fast, but that's what I like, and also not too many straight putts as most of the greens had ridges and slopes. Sand traps were good, actually had sand and not hard dirt. The course wasn't too tough, and if you're a long baller you'll prolly have plenty of opportunity for birdies. Liked this course a lot, I bet it's phenomenal in the summer.

"Fun Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2014

The course was in excellent condition for the time of year. Greens were fast but ran true. You could see that they are doing lots of work on the course getting it ready for growing season. You can't beat the views. It was a sunny day but the forecast was wrong on the wind conditions. I love this course and will be back. Great value for the money. Got a deal on Golfnow.com for $9.00 greens fee with cart.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Scenic and challenging."

dlsaiz's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Not a long course if you play from the proper tees. Plenty of challenging tee and approach shots. That's half the battle. Plenty of tough, undulating greens. Make sure you are below the hole. Very scenic! Course in fair condition for early spring.

"Quiet and fun"

Kill's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/17/2013

Me and buddy had great time. After the turn got slow we were a 2 so was waiting a lot. Nobody lets you play threw they jest look at you and stick there old noses up in the air and tee off

"Excellent condition well cared for!!"

latinref's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/27/2013

The best kept secret in New Mexico!! It is so serene ! The greens are well maintained along with the whole golf course. Great price for the money!

"Beautiful, but tough."

birdieman1953's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/17/2013

This course is not super long, but it plays a lot longer and tougher. Course was in excellent condition, and there is not a flat putt anywhere. The food was good at the clubhouse. The views are incredible.<br/> The only down side was the cleanliness of the restrooms at the clubhouse. They were disgusting!

"Gorgeous course. Beautiful views. Great, friendly staff."

tw11's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2013

I have played a several courses in New Mexico. Every course offers amazing scenic views. Cochiti's views however are the most beautiful. The course is incredibly well kept up. And the entire staff is friendly! I have golfed 12 courses in Albuquerque, 1 in Espanola and Cochiti. If I ever have company come in from out of town for 2 days of golf....Cochiti is 1 of the courses we will be playing.

"This course was in excellent shape and for the money it was a great course."

l329029's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 5/23/2013

Course was in great shape. My son and I enjoyed the course. The price is excellent. We will definately paly if are ever in this area.

"top 5 new mexico course"

2013NM's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 4/7/2013

Price and course are top rated for NM. This has always been one of my favorite places to go play golf. It is close to Albuquerque but far enough to be quiet and peaceful. Cochiti is highly recommended.

"Worth your trip."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 1/08/2013

My wife and I played this course several years ago. We were on on vacation when we realized that we were within 300 miles of it. Change of plans! We were hopeful that the course was as nice as when we last played it. No problem. This course has matured into a great course that is a must play. Diversion fuel cost aside, it was worth the expense.