A view from Hunters Ridge Golf Course

Hunters Ridge Golf Course

Year Built 1997
Golf Season High Season: May 1st – August 31st
Architect Bob Lohmann (1997)

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Iowa (2019 #7)

Amazing Cleanup!

Just 21 days after a hurricane strength windstorm hit the area, the golf course was open and playable! The staff and volunteers and tree service not only cleared almost 400 damaged trees but cleaned and mowed all faiways, and greens. They were certainly slower than normal, but still smooth. Its a great layout which is still plenty tough, or easy, depending on which tees you use. Play it often

Fantastic course in great condition. Played it while I was stopping in the area for work and I will certainly be keeping it in mind during future trips.

Challenging with some relief holes for the less experienced golfer.

Stay in the fairways and choose your clubs off the tee box wisely. Otherwise you will be sure to donate some balls to the course due to some blind tee shots and thick rough/OB areas.

Lots of fun to play with an enjoyable challenge.

Great clubhouse and course staff who were welcoming and happy to help.

Iowa Advisor

A Good Public Option

This is my 2nd review of Hunter's Ridge. This will supplement my original review from August 2018.

Overall, Hunters Ridge remains a good public facility. It's a challenging course that winds its way through a residential neighborhood.

The conditions this year are pretty good. The fairways are firm and fast, with lots of run out. The greens, while showing signs of wear, roll fast and true. Due to dry conditions, the rough isn't very thick right now, but can lead to some flyers.

The bunkers continue to be an issue, with some bunkers not having enough sand and others having the perfect amount. Personally I don't care if the bunkers are in good condition a long as they're consistent. Unfortunately, the bunkers are not consistent at all. I'm happy to see that the course is filling some of the bunkers in. Perhaps with fewer bunkers they will be able to better maintain them.

Nice track

I've played Hunters Ridge 3 times this year. Nice layout. It is very dry in Iowa now (early August). Greens are in very good shape, tee boxes and fairways in good shape. Bunkers need attention. All in all, I really enjoy playing at Hunters Ridge.

Great layout needs love

championship layout but needs some love. Bunkers need to be fixed for drainage issues and bunkers that were filled in last summer still dont have any grass on them. Its not hard to put sod on it or plant grass seed
Greans are quick with many ball marks but didnt effect putting. What are the fairways? Bent grass or blue grass? Every fairway has both.

Commented on 08/07/2020

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars. We have projects underway to recover the course. We hope you'll bear with us through this transition and give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Hunters Ridge Golf Course.

Good Challenge

Course is in very good shape except the bunkers. They have the worst bunkers in the area. Not much sand in greenside bunkers, mostly dirt. Bunkers need serious attention.

Solid day

Course played fast and true.....greens nice speed. Windy at times but added to shot selection. Always fun day at the Ridge. Played in 3.5 hours.

Fun Course

If you’re hitting driver straight, you’ll be rewarded with some short irons into greens and good birdie looks. If it’s a rough day with driver, you’ll be forced to lay up a lot off the tee, especially on the back, and face long irons into greens. The key to this course is hitting it straight off the tee.

Worst Experience Ever!!

Terrible experience is an understatement. I’m 31 yes old avid golfer and was treated like a child with no explanation. We were made to skip 3 holes by the park ranger for playing slow when we were keeping up and then proceeded to be kick off for playing 53 seconds over a 4 person average time on the 11th hole. It seems if your not a member and there are members on the course you will be escorted off for no reason. Terrible service and lack of professionalism 100%!!! I have nothing good to say about this golf course other than do not ever take groups or family to golf here ever!! Date 5/19/2020

Commented on 05/27/2020

Hi, we are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced at the course. Our goal is to keep the pace of play running smoothly and to never have it too backed up. As far as the raincheck goes, sounds like you prepaid for a Hot Deal on GolfNow. When this is the case, no money is paid to the pro-shop so there is no money that is owed back from the course. You may have booked other course times through GolfNow and that is why you were able to obtain a raincheck. If you call GolfNow, they would be happy to rectify the situation. We hope this clears any confusion up and we hope you give us another try in the future.

Commented on 05/27/2020

Hi, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Hunters Ridge Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 05/27/2020

Hello, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. We are glad to know you consider the course one of your favorites, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Hunters Ridge Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon.

Worst Experience Ever!!

Nice Cours good challenge.

Nice course, friendly staff, nice challenge.

Course was in great shape for spring golf.

Play was fast.