1.5

Style Links
Scorecard for Lakeside Golf Course
Blue M: 73.2/132 424 570 184 438 375 225 412 480 653 3761 372 176 515 203 371 445 500 335 400 3317 7078
White M: 71.6/129 371 506 166 417 355 167 340 384 634 3340 359 160 500 186 342 425 488 324 336 3120 6460
Gold M: 68.7/123 W: 72.7/127 360 405 145 395 318 145 330 368 520 2986 348 152 480 125 322 345 425 315 330 2842 5828
Red M: 66.2/117 W: 69.1/120 260 401 118 379 292 134 325 324 517 2750 293 116 385 120 277 337 425 309 257 2519 5269

Year Built 1970
Fairways Blue Grass

Fine course but horrible greens

This would be a perfectly good municipal course, but the holes are cut so poorly that it makes it a really frustrating place to play. I'm not sure what they are doing, but there is a small mound around every hole (practice greens as well). It's like they tug up on the green as they are cutting the hole. Some holes are like this at Tates Creek too, but at Picadome and Kearney I never see this issue. So it seems like it should be easy enough to fix this issue. I hope they will, because golf is hard enough with properly cut holes...

I Love This Course

If you're looking for a full length well laid out municipal course, this is the one. This has become my favorite course in the area for an afternoon round.
There are elevation changes, trees, HUGE greens, strategic bunkers, the rough is not very thick (you can find your ball), and it is walkable.

I've seen in reviews that people don't like the blind tee shots. I agree that the first time you play this course it is impossible to know where you can and can't miss. The first time I played, I had 2 penalty strokes from hazards and tall grass I couldn't see from the tee.

Now that I've played it many times, I LOVE the layout. There aren't very sharp doglegs or really any forced carries, but the elevation changes from fairway to green make for an honest evaluation of club choice.

I would hate for anyone to visit the course right now for the first time because they would leave with the impression that the course is in poor shape.
The thing is, all of the "The course is in poor shape" factors are from the course proactively maintaining its quality.
The tee boxes have been aerated. Parts of the fairways have been aerated and reseeded. The greens are being aerated right now.

These are signs of good management.

One thing this course still needs, which would be a very cheap fix, are yardage markers. There are many holes with not a single yardage marker. Nothing on the cart path, no permanent stake, nothing. And some have a 150 but no 100.
That needs to be fixed, and could be fixed in an afternoon.

Not for visitors to the area

If you like to see the landing area from the tee, this is not your course. The majority of drives are blind and one has no way to know if the ball rolled out, bounced left or right, or maybe even hit a tree. As a result, a good deal of time is spent searching for a ball that should have been down the left side of the fairway, for example, but cannot be found anywhere near the line it was on when it was last seen. This adds considerably to pace of play, unfortunately. Perhaps locals who know the lay of the land can navigate the hilly terrain successfully, but a visitor like me will find it very frustrating. On top of that, the course is in bad condition. Many tee boxes are bare dirt as are some patches of the fairway and many parts of what should be rough. That can be fixed but the blind tee shots are a permanent "feature".

Andrew4675772
Commented On 10/13/2016

I understand your frustration. The first time I played this course I was mad that nobody told me about the hazard at the end of the dogleg on #5. I hit a perfect shot and found myself in a pond. Not happy. Better markings are definitely needed.
If you're ever visiting again, I'd recommend this course over other municipal courses in the area exactly BECAUSE of those elevation changes and slight doglegs.
It has become my favorite course in the area, even above the Pete Dye designed Kearney Hills.

Much improved

Have played here before and very dry. They must have been watering and beautifully green even though it has not rained. Very enjoyable day.

Not very challenging, but a fun course to play

I enjoyed playing Lakeside. There are some helpful and also friendly people that work there. The course itself is not the most challenging but the back nine offers a little more personality. All and all I enjoyed my 18 holes and will play Lakeside again.

Good, well maintained municipal course.

Greens are smooth and moderately fast. From the blue and white tees, the course is challenging/long. Seniors will enjoy the gold tees. Signature hole is 600+ yards long. The staff is friendly. The only drawback to this course is the large number of canadian geese that now live there year-round.

This course was in great shape, has intresting features

This was the first time I have played this course. I took my 10 year old son with me and we had a VERY GOOD time. He even asked me to take him back the next day. The driving range is close, also the practice putting green. The greens were in excellent condition, the fairways are true and the rough is fair. Cannot wait to go back again, and take my son. He really enjoyed it and said this course is beautiful.

Gret course

Beautiful course. Geese weren't out on the 1st hole. Great greens. Perfect sand traps.

Better than I remember..

I hadn't played this course in a very long time and it was way better than I remember. Fairways were good and the greens were in pretty good shape.. I played on a day where it had rained much of the morning and the course really popped. Greens were holding second shots but the fairways were still giving some good roll. A couple of the holes are missing hole map signs and number 11 has a water hazard on the map that doesn't come into play but other than that I was happy with the course.

The greens were in good condition and the course was maintained. The pace of play was my only complaint.

It's a great public course in Lexington. It offers a getaway from its urban surroundings.

Horrible course

Had a tee time of 2:10 and when we arrived and made our way to tee off at 2:07 there were 7 carte in front of us. We waited for 15 minutes and only 1 cart had teed off. I went back to the pro shop to get a refund and they refused and would only give me a rain check. The course is the worst in Lexington anyway and I will not ever go back.

Sneaky challenging

It may seem straight forward and for the most part it is until you reach the greens. Greens are mostly on the large side but do have some sneaky breaks to them that are tough to see.

Good value for good course.

Course was in good shape. Pace of play good and greens were in great shape.

The lady at the front desk was rude!

Golf was good but the older lady at the front desk was not customer friendly whatsoever. She disturbed what was a beautiful day of golf. I would suggest someone remind her that paying customers deserve a certain degree of customer service. She seemed to be somewhat dismissive. She needs some training on how to be more courteous!

Good Course

Lakeside is a well maintained government course. It is still early in the year so golf course maintenance is challenging. Great round of golf though.

Worst coarse in the area

What can i say, go there using a golfnow discount and you will be treated like a 2nd class citizen. This place caters to the few guys standing around in pastel colors who can barely hit the ball. foursomes here have a tough time letting a single pass thru. No water in the ball cleaners is another major bummer considering how easy it would be to check those before paying customers head out for the day. Throw in all the goose droppings and i wonder why i play it at all. If you don't get the late day tee time off golfnow for $15 i'd just assume pass on golfing for the day, which i usually do if its full price.

The municipal course is maintained very well and the price is very reasonable.

This course is fun to play and is very challenging depending on which tees you play from. One of the things that really stands out to me is you get to hit a variety of different clubs from various distances and lies. Plus the course is kid friendly.

Richmond, Kentucky