University Club of Kentucky - Big Blue Course

Three 72 6059 yards 70.1 133
Two 72 5596 yards 67.8 129
One (W) 72 4874 yards 68.7 125
Scorecard for Big Blue
Tee Five/Gold M: 74.6/139 419 422 206 439 481 410 524 179 326 3406 386 407 194 548 370 464 565 230 443 3607 7013
Tee Four/Blue M: 72.0/137 388 395 178 404 456 360 506 158 301 3146 350 372 159 507 362 454 537 207 411 3359 6505
Tee Three/White M: 70.1/133 W: 75.5/139 361 383 148 353 436 352 487 143 289 2952 344 342 151 497 327 416 509 170 381 3137 6089
Tee Two/Silver M: 67.8/129 W: 72.7/134 334 326 128 340 413 319 466 129 242 2697 320 317 125 464 286 384 475 157 371 2899 5596
Tee One/Green M: 64.5/122 W: 68.7/125 283 283 115 312 384 275 398 114 236 2400 263 284 92 406 245 310 445 126 313 2484 4884

Year Built 1992
Architect Daniel McQueen Arthur Hills (2001)

Playing Multiple Courses 10

Big Blue Does Not Disappoint

I have now played both courses at the University Club. Big Blue is definitely the better of the 2. Not to discount Wildcat at all, but Big Blue has a nice look and a tough layout. Lots of water to deal with. Definitely a ball strikers course. Great times!!!

Unfriiendly Staff

I wish I could say this is the first time this has happened to me but it isn't . My buddy and I decided to play a quick 9 holes around 5:30. It had been raining all day but around 3:30 the sun came out and it was a nice day. We got to the course and we were the only ones there. When my buddy went in to play the lights were out in the pro shop (which they are usually turned off and the guy asked him if we would be quick. Very odd considering it was only 5:30.

Great course. Good value but the staff was very unfriendly. They had a 1:00 and 2:00 outing and at 8:00 in the morning the staff was too busy getting the carts out to help the groups that had early tee times. As a matter of fact they were telling us that the course was closed and we can’t play. We had to wait until the Pro showed up at 8:15 to get us our for a 8:28 booked time.

Need for course manager

Played this big blue course twice and both times pace of play was extremely slow. This last time we waited 20 min. to tee on next hole. It was a 5 1/2 hour day to play 18.

Exceeded expectations.

Booked a round for wife and I at the course just the night before. Course was in great shape and was a pleasure to play. Only negative was pace of play was not good. Waited at every tee box for at least 5 minutes but to put things in perspective we golfed 5 days in a row and it was the same way at each of the courses in Kentucky. I am certain that in other states that would not be the case.

Kentucky Advisor

Conditions are good

The course is in good shape, greens were punched a few weeks ago and have healed. Greens were close to 11 when I played. This is the best course in the area right now with the current conditions. This Club isn't private, it hasn't been for a few years, you should have zero problems getting on one of the two courses, provided they don't have an event booked.

The course has been softened the last few years through cutting back of native areas, Big Blue is much easier than it used to be, but is still a fair test of golf. You should have fun.

Great!

Big blue never disappoints . Great place to play. We played 36. 18 on the wildcat and 18 on big blue. Only complaint would be the grill or dining room. The girl working on Saturday was real rude and had not much of a clue on what was going on. The golf pros were great and very friendly.

The course is always in great shape for so early in the season.The staff are courteous and friendly.The pace of play was excellent. Very enjoyable day.

Big Blue Great

Course was in great shape with well manacured fairways and graduated rough. One of the best courses I’ve played this year. The greens were very fast and firm, but a well struck shot would still bite. It has been several years since I played this course and there have been some changes made to a few holes. I look forward to playing it again soon.

golf trip

it by far my favorite art hills designe courses to play a bunch of us guys go down every year from michigan at the of march or first week in april

Challenging back side

Great deal for money. Warm day in Feb with a bit of wind.

Back side challenges you on most every hole with good elevation changes for the area.

Need to drive the ball more than 250 if playing tips.

Adam is a great host!

Big Blue is a great course. Windy but fun

It was very windy but 69deg in late Dec so a perfect golf day. The club house doesn't open until 9:00 so if you get an early time be prepared to just wait and warm up on the practice green until shop opens.

The Greens were very bumpy but it was late Dec. So in very good shape for that time of year. Fairways were in great shape even lush would be a good description. Wind was blowing 20mph sustained(gusts to 30) so it was a challenge to pick the right club for the wind you were playing. You could be playing a 5 iron for 200yds or 130yds.

Course was not busy so pretty much just played golf with no group behind or in front. Great value as it was a "Hot Deal". This is one of the best courses in the area. 5 tee options. We played up "tee #3" due to the wind. Starts with fairly easy holes. Then holes 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 can eat your lunch or reward you for a good shot. Lots of placement shots or "go for it" opportunities. First timers should play with someone who has played course or you will find the trouble. Very solid course with shot options for every golfer.

Great Course for the price

Always play this course when visiting Lexington. Very difficult, but I enjoy the challenge. If you don't like hitting over water, stick to the Wildcat course.

Deceptive layout

Wide open front 9 gives you hope, then the most difficult back 9 you can find on a public course around here. Get the chance to play around UK golf team and watch and talk to them. Just overall great course, never had a problem from it. Only questionable part is pro shop staff being more interested in the TV than greeting you.

Wildcat in bad shape

Guess they must be spending all the money on Big Blue, wildcat in terrible shape, fair to bad at the best, tee boxes bad, fairways burnt and rough cut, rough out of control and the greens are in terrible shape, only saving grace was pace of play good because no one was playing wildcat. See way the price on golf now is so low, get what you pay for.

acfc8c0b-f108-565b-abc7-ded4dbdfed2d
universitybluemngt
Commented On 2016-09-27T14:42:30.000+00:00

We apologize for your experience and assure you this is not the standards we strive to meet. We are constantly working on course conditions and hope to have you back in the near future.

The best of four courses I played on my visit to Lexington

This was the course I enjoyed most during my visit to Lexington. I also played Griffin Gate, Cherry Blossom, and Boone's Trace. My biggest takeaway is that the greens were really fast. This is the home course for the University of Kentucky, so I am sure they try to keep it challenging for the college golfers. This also means they have an excellent driving range with target areas. The first six holes allow you to get away with some errant shots, but starting with #7 you have to play some target golf. This includes an island green on #8 that will test your wits. There is quite a bit of water on the back 9 that comes in to play due to a few forced carries. It is sometimes in awkward locations so you can't just pull driver on every hole. It would definitely help to have a range finder to determine the landing zones. I will definitely play this course again and I would like to try the other course on the grounds, the Wildcat course. I found this to be an unbelievable value at $34 on a Friday afternoon. They could easily charge $75.

Good Track

Got to play Big Blue yesterday and while it was still very solid, some of the conditions were a little below what it's been in the past.

The biggest problem I encountered isn't necessarily the result of the staff, its the number of ballmarks on the greens. I felt like I fixed 5 every green in addition to my own, and I didn't even scratch the surface. The greens have suffered because of this, not quite as lush as they used to be.

Some distressed tee boxes and spots in the fairway scattered throughout the course, but overall was in good shape. A few trees were missing since my last visit, opened up a few areas.

Overall it was a great day on the course, love the layout. Great mix of risk reward holes, and just straight up challenging holes.

4.2000058824