University Club of Kentucky - Big Blue Course

• 4850 Leestown Rd, Lexington, Kentucky 40511, Fayette County
  • (859) 381-8585, (859) 977-1235
  • www.uclubkentucky.com

Year built: 1992
Architect(s): Daniel McQueen, Arthur Hills (2001)
Type: Private
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Five 72 7013 yards 74.6 139
Four 72 6505 yards 72.0 137
Three 72 6059 yards 70.1 133
Two 72 5596 yards 67.8 129
One (W) 72 4874 yards 68.7 125

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge playing multiple courses   Challenges include water hazards bunkers forced carries

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2018
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The course is always in great shape for so early in the season.The staff are courteous and friendly.The pace of play was excellent. Very enjoyable day.

"Big Blue Great"

LawDog324's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2017

Course was in great shape with well manacured fairways and graduated rough. One of the best courses I’ve played this year. The greens were very fast and firm, but a well struck shot would still bite. It has been several years since I played this course and there have been some changes made to a few holes. I look forward to playing it again soon.

"golf trip"

puttz62's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2017

it by far my favorite art hills designe courses to play a bunch of us guys go down every year from michigan at the of march or first week in april

"Challenging back side"

Riverfrog5's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2017

Great deal for money. Warm day in Feb with a bit of wind.

Back side challenges you on most every hole with good elevation changes for the area.

Need to drive the ball more than 250 if playing tips.

Adam is a great host!

"Big Blue is a great course. Windy but fun"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/26/2016
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

It was very windy but 69deg in late Dec so a perfect golf day. The club house doesn't open until 9:00 so if you get an early time be prepared to just wait and warm up on the practice green until shop opens.

The Greens were very bumpy but it was late Dec. So in very good shape for that time of year. Fairways were in great shape even lush would be a good description. Wind was blowing 20mph sustained(gusts to 30) so it was a challenge to pick the right club for the wind you were playing. You could be playing a 5 iron for 200yds or 130yds.

Course was not busy so pretty much just played golf with no group behind or in front. Great value as it was a "Hot Deal". This is one of the best courses in the area. 5 tee options. We played up "tee #3" due to the wind. Starts with fairly easy holes. Then holes 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 can eat your lunch or reward you for a good shot. Lots of placement shots or "go for it" opportunities. First timers should play with someone who has played course or you will find the trouble. Very solid course with shot options for every golfer.

"Great Course for the price"

Michael4416972's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/04/2016

Always play this course when visiting Lexington. Very difficult, but I enjoy the challenge. If you don't like hitting over water, stick to the Wildcat course.

"Deceptive layout"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2016

Wide open front 9 gives you hope, then the most difficult back 9 you can find on a public course around here. Get the chance to play around UK golf team and watch and talk to them. Just overall great course, never had a problem from it. Only questionable part is pro shop staff being more interested in the TV than greeting you.

"Wildcat in bad shape"

kidkeokuk's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/11/2016

Guess they must be spending all the money on Big Blue, wildcat in terrible shape, fair to bad at the best, tee boxes bad, fairways burnt and rough cut, rough out of control and the greens are in terrible shape, only saving grace was pace of play good because no one was playing wildcat. See way the price on golf now is so low, get what you pay for.

Commented on 09/27/2016

We apologize for your experience and assure you this is not the standards we strive to meet. We are constantly working on course conditions and hope to have you back in the near future.

"The best of four courses I played on my visit to Lexington"

dogace38's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This was the course I enjoyed most during my visit to Lexington. I also played Griffin Gate, Cherry Blossom, and Boone's Trace. My biggest takeaway is that the greens were really fast. This is the home course for the University of Kentucky, so I am sure they try to keep it challenging for the college golfers. This also means they have an excellent driving range with target areas. The first six holes allow you to get away with some errant shots, but starting with #7 you have to play some target golf. This includes an island green on #8 that will test your wits. There is quite a bit of water on the back 9 that comes in to play due to a few forced carries. It is sometimes in awkward locations so you can't just pull driver on every hole. It would definitely help to have a range finder to determine the landing zones. I will definitely play this course again and I would like to try the other course on the grounds, the Wildcat course. I found this to be an unbelievable value at $34 on a Friday afternoon. They could easily charge $75.

"Good Track"

Dan7862713's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Got to play Big Blue yesterday and while it was still very solid, some of the conditions were a little below what it's been in the past.

The biggest problem I encountered isn't necessarily the result of the staff, its the number of ballmarks on the greens. I felt like I fixed 5 every green in addition to my own, and I didn't even scratch the surface. The greens have suffered because of this, not quite as lush as they used to be.

Some distressed tee boxes and spots in the fairway scattered throughout the course, but overall was in good shape. A few trees were missing since my last visit, opened up a few areas.

Overall it was a great day on the course, love the layout. Great mix of risk reward holes, and just straight up challenging holes.

"Go Big Blue"

Medic4099's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2016

First time playing Big Blue and I loved it. Course in excellent shape. Loved #16 par 5 water in front on green. Water in play on 7 of the holes. Usually use driver on par 4's and above but had to change my approach on a few holes due the the layout. Challenged my skill set. Greens were fast. Would definitely recommend to play this course.

Commented on 08/01/2016

Thanks for the review! We're so happy to hear you had an enjoyable day and even got a bit of a challenge out of our course! Thanks for recommending us. Please come back and play with us again!

"Alljackedup"

Tonnie4313462's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016

Played the other 18 Big Blue. I found this much more challenging . Plenty of water holes and very nice layout. Review same as Wildcat , no sand in bunkers or very little.. No starter at first hole, so everyone runs to tee box. Fix these small things and the course can justified the price. I would defintily

play again.

Commented on 08/01/2016

Thanks for your review and feedback, Tonnie. We will take this into consideration as we are constantly working on improving the conditions of our course. Looking forward to seeing you again!

"Bunker crazy"

billymartincia's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in good shape. Bunkers in fairway and around greens are challenging. Some bunkers were hard sand. Greens were in good shape and the ball rolled true.

Commented on 08/01/2016

Thanks for your review and feedback! We're glad to give you a bit of a challenge. Thanks for playing and come back soon!

"Always a winner!"

Josh7050880's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2016

I played on a Monday around noon. Pace was great, and the course was in great shape. The tee boxes and fairways were perfect and the greens were quick and true. I'd recommend this course to anyone in the Bluegrass region.

Commented on 07/15/2016

Thank you for your 5 Star review, Josh. We are so happy we could impress you. Hope to see you soon!

"Big Blue"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2016

Course was in good shape. Enjoyed the round.

Commented on 07/15/2016

Glad to hear it! Thanks for playing with us.

"Great layout and good overall condition"

Andy6694529's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2016

This course is well maintained and greens, fairways and rough are what you would expect in a high quality course. Bunkers while well placed could use deeper sand. Sand depth was very shallow making for a terribly hard bunker.

Course layout is challenging but very playable for any golfer. Beautiful setting. A few island greens add to the challenge and careful thought is a must to avoid water on certain holes. Consider a layup in places, and be cautious on a couple of the dogleg par 4 holes to avoid hitting through the fairway.

We played on a Hot Deal from Golfnow and the staff seemed less than interested in welcoming us. Just a quick "the carts are over there, and don't forget a score card".

That didn't bother us much as we were there for the challenge of the course.

Played a 1:00 tee time on a Tuesday. Wasn't crowded and managed to get our twosome out in front of two foursomes. Played the course without hold ups in 2 hrs 45 mins.

I will be back after this first taste of Big Blue.

Commented on 07/15/2016

Thank you for your 5 Star review, Andy! We are so happy to have provided you with a good experience on our course. We're looking forward to having you back!

"Good Course but......"

cubby1929's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The staff was nice, the course was nice but the pace of play was very slow. We went off in the morning and had single and 2 twosomes ahead of us. We were told before we started that they were busy and it might be slow. There was a single that did not want to play with another group that would be going out. The single played multiple balls each hole and allowed his kid to hit and putt multiple times. He hit extra putts and chips on every green. We had long waits between shots. I am all for kids learning to play, but Sunday morning might not be the best time. He could have been asked to allow us to play ahead of him since there was a gap in groups behind us. There should have been an effort to pair up groups to speed up play. I would recommend playing the course but know that the pace of play can be irritating.

Commented on 06/20/2016

Thank you for your five star review! We understand that a slow pace of play can get frustrating and we apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. We do hope to have you back for another round in the future.

"Wide open but challenging"

BernieBBad's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Played here on beautiful spring day. The course is very attractive. Most of the holes are open, with wide fairways and rough that was not too thick. The fairways were in great shape. The greens were fast, though some were showing signs of recent top dressing with sand. Several holes had water features including a few "island" style greens. Several holes required lay-up strategies. The cart paths were in rough in places which made for a bumpy ride, but overall the course was in great shape.

Commented on 06/10/2016

Thank you for the 5 star review, Bernie! We are pleased to hear that you had a day well spent with us! Hope to see you on the course again in the future.

"good shape early spring"

jdc430's avatar
Kentucky Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I used to be a member here. The course was in better shape than it has been for a couple years at this time. In April the course is normally pretty soft and you play where it flies, is where it stays.

Greens on this visit were firm and fast, probably running close to 11 on the stimp. Unrepaired ball marks really didn't show up this visit due to firmness.

The Fairways were firm and you could get a fair amount of roll. You only see these conditions a few times a year, generally in late summer.

Bunkers were all prepped and appeared to have enough sand in them.

They have softened the course the last few years by cutting much of the Heather. This should speed up play. My only suggestion would be to control when groups tee off, or pair groups together. There are a few too many that pay and just jump on the tee box. It can slow the play down.

Commented on 06/10/2016

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions! We will take this into consideration as we are constantly trying to improve the conditions of our course. We hope to see you on the course again soon for another round!

"Amazing Greens"

Hoosierhillbilly's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2016

Big Blue is an excellent course in all respects. The greens were fast and true.

Commented on 06/10/2016

Thanks for the review. Happy to hear you had an overall great time!