Thoroughbred Golf Club at High Point

Year Built 1993
Architect Daniel McQueen

Deceivingly difficult

Not terribly long, but alot of elevation changes. Difficult at times to tell where to hit drives, blind tee shots while playing alone made it harder. Greens in great shape, fairways not so much. Would like to play it again now that I've seen it and have a better idea of how to make it work.

Needs alot of work and unorganized.

Got to the course at 3:42 on Sunday and checked in we were failed to be informed that a junior golf tournament was going on till we got to the 3rd hole tee box and here come 10 golf carts passing us by with parents , kids and spectators. We were then told to leave that hole go to 10 and play the back 9 which was packed with everyone trying to play back to back to each other. Didn't help they had a 16 year working the front desk that didn't seem to know what was going on and course marshall that said he didn't even work there. Long story short we paid for 18 played the back 9 and a couple on the front that we could play. Course was a muddy mess and in bad shape. I won't be back save your $30.

Plays Twice a year

Total Package

I knew the course would be beautiful just from the scenic drive past all the horse farms, it was a very pretty ride in. The clubhouse/gift shop/restaurant is in a repurposed barn and it looks amazing in there. Everyone was very friendly, there was a good selection at their Bar and Grille. I was impressed at their alcohol selection, and at the fact that they had draft beers at all. We had a great lunch while we waited for our tee time. Checking in was painless, which was a concern of mine being the first time I've ever used a Golf Now purchased pass. One of the real kickers for me was we bought a 6 pack there, got to choose the 6 beers in the pack, they put it in a cooler with ice for us that fit perfectly in a compartment on the golf cart, and sent us on our way with extra fries and chips. We really felt like all the stops were pulled out for us, and the kicker for me is that it was even cheaper than any of the local courses around me.

Then on the course itself, I'm not sure if we got lucky playing on a weekday afternoon or if it's normally not too busy, but we didn't see a soul the entire time, except for a groundskeeper. Not one group before us or after us. It was sublime, being able to play without pressure and feel like we had the course to ourselves. Some of the holes were challenging but didn't feel impossible. I don't love how close to a main road a couple holes are, but you just have to really think about where you're placing your ball. All in all, fantastic experience and I will be back as soon as possible.

Need some investment

The owners need to invest in the course
I enjoy the layout but the course needs some upgrades
The fairways need some attention there just isn’t enough grass
To many weeds and all kinds of different grass growing on this course
The cart paths our pretty rough. Some place just potholes

The good is the greens were in very good shape
It was a pretty day and I was playing golf with a great friend

Just wish this course was better Very close to my home and I would join as a member but I can see me enjoying playing this course day after day

Try to play it a few times a year
Overall now as good as last year sorry to say

Nice value south of Lexington

Was in town for a guys weekend and we booked via Golfnow. The price for 18 and a cart was fantastic. Course was not crowded despite being a Sunday afternoon. No active ranger presence so pace of play was a minor issue. Course is in slight disrepair with some overgrowth, decrepid signage etc. Feels like a place that was definitely nicer 10 years ago. Back 9 has a more challenging layout. Don't believe the scorecard for distance as several of the tee boxes have clearly moved. I hit into the group ahead of us while I was laying up because the card was off by roughly 100 yards. All in all, I'd play again because of the value, but the course is very average. Oh if you hate sand, this is your place, there isn't a single bunker on the entire course.

Great layout could use some TLC

Extremely fun and beautiful course. Fairways and greens could use a little attention but there is obvious effort. Other than trying not to break your back on some parts of the cart path it’s a great course for the money.

Awful wont be back

Slow Pace

I waited every shot. No one ever came out to spend anyone up. Pace of play was horrible.

We’ve played here a few times and it just seems to be getting better. Clubhouse and bar/restaurant area are really nice. Course layout is challenging to all levels with good incorporation of the natural streams and rolling terrain. Very good shape for this time of year and they obviously have an eye to the future with the addition of new tee boxes. Nice long driving range and practice green right outside the clubhouse. If I had any criticisms it would be that the water at the numerous available stations could be a little colder and the yardage markers are not very clear for those of us that haven’t gone techie yet. I think you’ll enjoy it if you try it.

Amazing Value

This course has a fantastic setup! It is not one of those courses where you repeat the same 4 or 5 holes over and over. Almost every hole is unique and offers a new challenge. The grass is really good condition (not perfect) and the greens are pretty consistent. Amazing bang for your buck at this course!

We hadn’t played here for several years but were hearing good things about it since Taylor Made Farms had bought it. There are obviously significant improvements that are taking place and under way. The layout is interesting and challenging but not very long. Greens were in good shape and fairways nicely mowed. The pro shop and bar area are very nice! Well worth the price. Looking forward to future rounds here.

Richmond, Kentucky

Valid dates: Feb 01, 2020 - Feb 29, 2020
Three days of UNLIMITED golf and Three nights of lodging with FREE golf shoes.