1.5

Black/Gold 71 6651 yards 71.8 133
Gold/White 71 6049 yards 69.3 127
White/Red (W) 71 5347 yards 70.9 121
Scorecard for University of Maryland Golf Course
Black M: 73.7/137 460 453 333 195 423 458 363 128 547 3360 416 228 443 552 250 386 548 346 486 3655 7015
Black/Gold M: 71.8/133 412 417 333 165 423 418 363 128 510 3169 416 228 395 514 211 386 548 346 438 3482 6651
Gold M: 70.1/130 412 417 316 165 400 418 341 111 510 3090 372 165 395 514 211 356 501 327 438 3279 6369
Gold/White M: 69.3/127 357 355 316 165 375 390 341 111 494 2904 372 165 372 482 192 356 501 327 378 3145 6049
White M: 68.2/123 W: 72.5/125 357 355 257 151 375 390 323 98 494 2800 360 107 372 482 192 348 487 307 378 3033 5833
White/Red W: 70.9/121 328 350 257 151 375 342 323 98 454 2678 360 107 322 434 133 348 437 307 340 2788 5466
Red W: 68.9/116 328 350 231 120 338 342 305 85 454 2553 342 100 322 434 133 305 437 243 340 2656 5209

Year Built 1958
Greens Blue Grass
Architect George Cobb (1958) Bill Love (2008)

Clubs No

Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed
Single Allowed No

Mud

It’s a good course. I play it a few times a year. Definitely challenging fairways and greens. Got to know where to miss or you will have a tough recovery. Lots of elevation change which makes for some blind tee shots so it would be nice if they had a layout on the scorecard for those who don’t remember where everything is. Also, The range mats are horrible. Basically just 10 year old worn down AstroTurf

This Saturday was horrible though. I know it’s Bermuda in the fairways but it’s almost May and it was basically a brown mud patch mud out there. I am no agronamy expert but I would have thought it would be in better shape by this time of year and the grass seemed very sparse. It did rain the day before but not that much and it was still pretty wet out there.

Front 9 had decent pace. Only waiting a minute or two on a few holes. Back nin got really backed up. The marshal (college kid I assume) didn’t really do much and was riding along with the group ahead of us which looked like his buddies, for like four holes while we waiting 10 mins on each hole. Took about 5 hrs total. It’s normally a good course for the value but I wouldn’t go back until the fairways are in better shape.

Nice course across hill and dale

This is what my dad calls a "mountain goat track." Definitely some of the most elevation change I've seen at a DC-area course, which keeps it challenging. It's usually pretty well maintained and plays fairly long from the men's tees. The layout keeps it interesting, not too many straightaway grip it and rip it holes. Almost no water and not choked with lateral hazards, but plenty of bunkers and sidehill lies to keep you on your toes.

Slow, Slow, Slow

Was in DC and took the opportunity to play a round with my son who attends U of MD. It was a Sunday mid-morning round. First few holes played at an acceptable pace, then it backed up to the point we were waiting nearly 10 mins on every hole. Eventually we were forced to skip 4 holes in order to finish a round that was on pace for well over 5 hours.

Quite a shame as it is a well kept and challenging course. But no rangers or other attempt to keep up even a modest pace on a Sunday morning is crazy !! For what I am paying in tuition, they should be able to afford a ranger.

Good Times at the UMD Course

I played this course with one of my athletes who was preparing for the MD State Golf Championships. I expected it to be packed with high school students and a very slow round. However, MD was having a home football game (vs. Iowa for Homecoming) and I think this diverted some from playing. It wasn't that crowded and we played in UNDER 4 hours, something that is apparently unheard of here. I really enjoyed the course. Everything was green and well kept, and there wasn't even that many leaves for a fall day. Ballmarks are an issue on the green, but I fixed more than my share, and if fixed, didn't seem to affect the roll. My driver was on that day, so the windy conditions didn't affect me that much.

Great course inside the beltway

This course is fun, but challenging. It is also very fair, if you play it right its rewarding. The landscape is interesting, and it has a lot of contours which I liked. The greens were pretty fast and fairways were in good condition. The rough in some spots was, well rough, but that’s the price you pay for not hitting the fair way. The facilities are great, nice chipping, putting greens, and driving range. The one negative which wasn’t a significant is some of the greens had a lot of wear, but it’s the middle of the summer and at the course is probably seeing peak traffic. This is a very affordable course inside the beltway. I’ll be back.

Greens awful.

Enjoy playing this course. Understand its winter season, but the greens were awful. Bird droppings every where. Tee box could be maintained better as well. Like I said, understand its winter season. But the greens were not pleasant.

Challenging Course for All Skills

This is an unexpectedly challeging course because of its lengh and well-protected greens. Fairways are not narrow and are relatively open, so its difficulty is being disguised. I had hard time to keep my score in 90s. It is a part of the UMD system, so everything including golf shop and locker room is kept clean and nice. Its practice facility is excellent. I like this old course partly because it reminds me of my second son who graduated from UMD last year and is now in the doctorate course of Gerogia Tech in Atlanta.

A challenging layout

This is a challenging layout. The course plays longer than its yardage because there are many uphill shots to elevated greens. One notable exception is the short, downhill par-3 8th. Trees and water can come into play, but most fairways are generous. There are some deep bunkers that are best to avoid. Overall a good course, with a few memorable holes.

The Course was great

The course was fun, it had great challenges and it was in good condition

University of Maryland ... newly renovated, challenging,long course!

The course was in very good shape considering winter dormancy was evident in the fairways! the greens were in excellent shape, sand traps were firm not raked... all in all course has held up well this late in Dec. Price was excellent at 18 dollars per round... also close to my home in College Park! Played UMD course twice this week!

Great Value...Challenging Layout..former Nationwide Tour layout.

The golf course was excellent..The grounds crew were removing all leaves from the course with vacumn machine..NO leaves in playing ares...Amust for fall/winter golf

Very nicely maintained course but slow play on a holiday

Staff was very friendly during check-in. We played on a holiday and had to wait on on shots for many of the holes. The course was in great shape and the weather was very pleasant for November. I would play this course again on a weekday just to avoid the holiday golfing traffic.

The Course Needs Work Nice lay-out Pace Of Play Really Slow

The Course Needs work, Nice Lay-Out, Pace of Play Slow

Great Value for the money

This course has great value for the money, especially for a course so close to the DC line. It has also a nice grill and friendly staff throughout. Fairways were in good shape and greens were solid, but could have been slightly better. Course is well maintained in other departments.

Enjoyable round.

After a very hot, dry summer, I found the course to be in overall really nice shape. The greens were a bit slow, and there were a few bald spots in a fairway or two, but otherwise the course was in very nice shape.

One of my favorite courses in the DC Area

University of Maryland is one of my favorite courses in the area. I am very impressed with how well it is maintained and the general quality, given that it is run by the University. I have occasionally had pace of play issues here, and there is no marshall to speak of. I especially enjoy the 17th (extremely short par 3) and the 7th (WIDE open par 5 with the second shot down a huge hill) holes.

Great course, poor shape

Let me start by saying I've played the University Course over 100 times. It is a great, fun track which I really enjoyed throughout my undergraduate career at Maryland. Currently however the course is really not in very good shape. The greens were crazy slow and the fairways a bit chewed up. I will wait till mid spring to return to the course. Once this track greens up it is a must play!

Good track and conditions, greens a bit slow but it was January

We played before the Redskins game and not too many people were out on the course. So we got around in just ove 3.5 hours which was great. Layout/course is challenging but fair. The only debit was the greens were slow but we were playing in January and I'm sure they hadn't cut them for at least a month or two. Overall great course especially for the price if you tee off after noon.

Tough conditions - decent layout

Preface this review by saying it's winter golf - but the course is in VERY rough shape (a far cry from what it was when it hosted a Nationwide Tour event several years ago). Other area courses (like Northwest in Silver Spring) are able to keep conditions decent even in the dead of winter, so no excuse U of M.

Layout is pretty fun though. It has all the length you can handle.

Decent overall.

Glenn Dale, Maryland
Bethesda, Maryland
Mitchellville, Maryland

Valid dates: May 23, 2019 - Jun 30, 2019
2 Nights lodging at the Best Western Plus of Santee (or comparable lodging partner) and play 3 Rounds of golf on Santee Cooper Resort’s two courses.
Stay and Play
Stay & Play in Golf’s Little Big Town!
Stay and Play
Summer Golf Getaway in Santee!
Stay and Play
Come play in the Olde English District!
Summer Special in Greenville, SC