Year Built 1995
Architect Arthur Hills (1995)

Fun Course

I have played this course several times and it is both challenging and fun. There are several tricky holes that require you to hit accurate tee shots in order to have a chance at gettin to the green. I played recently and was extremely disappointed about the condition the course was in. It was a Sunday night after 5 and we payed $27 for only 9 holes which seemed high to me but I was willing to pay in order to play. A few holes in I noticed that the greens had been aerated which was odd because it had not been mentioned to me before paying. To me this isn’t a big deal but to some it could be. In addition to the aerated greens, there were several tee boxes, fairways, and greens that were in need of major repair. On several holes the length of the grass on the tee box was as long as the rough and covered in crabgrass. On a couple of holes there were areas of dead grass filled in with sand. I have no issues with the course in these conditions other than the price was not reflective of the conditions. I enjoy playing here but it was certainly disappointing to see the less than standard condition of the course.

Commented on 08/11/2020

Hi, samiam6611. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recover the fairways and greens. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game, and we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing River Downs Golfers' Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 07/27/2020

Hello, englikedacntry. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing River Downs Golfers' Club.

Great corse

When you first walk in the staff is very helpfull the rates are low and the corse is great. The fairways are new carpet like bermuda grass. The bunkers are full of new sand and it just looks great. The food is suprizeingly good for a golfcorse. It is a challenge but its still fun

Character beyond compare

Put aside your preconceived notions that River Downs is in disarray. The changes that have taken place on this course in the past 7 years under the new management are astounding (far more than just the name changing back to River Downs from Framcis Scott Key). The course itself sits just over the Baltimore/Carroll county line and is well worth the drive. Most fairways have Bermuda grass, and it takes quite well in the Maryland summer humidity. All bunkers have new sand, and those that don't are scheduled to be sodded over/ sanded within the next few months. Course is challenging, but by far the best in the county. Each hole has a personality to it, and can be played MANY times over without feeling monotonous. Staff is not only friendly, but highly knowledgable of the game as well. The food isn't necessarily full meals, but makes for a great snack before or after play. Carts are partially gas club cars, but mostly new Yamaha gas carts. Overall, River Downs is on its way up and is doing fantastic. I would highly reccomend this course to anyone who would consider themselves a novice golfer, i love every single time I play here.

Treasure

I played this course in December on a 50 degree day. The course was still in great shape. New improvements were going on alot of brush was being cleared away, sand bunkers looked like they had all new sand in them. The grass in most fairways was still soft like walking on carpet.

Very scenic, fun course!

Best kept secret in the area, I drive about 40 minutes to play here and its worth every minute. Very fun challenging course thats almost never crowded..

Reisterstown, Maryland