Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Scorecard for Rocky Gap
Black M: 74.2/145 408 381 472 174 542 226 395 509 392 3499 559 421 160 565 439 535 190 206 428 3503 7002
Blue M: 72.2/140 377 356 431 159 514 206 359 494 366 3262 528 395 150 541 414 513 174 182 404 3301 6563
White M: 70.3/135 353 335 405 144 488 184 324 477 356 3066 506 367 128 517 363 496 155 168 369 3069 6135
Gold M: 68.7/129 345 315 382 132 457 157 313 464 331 2896 476 342 115 494 344 477 137 150 351 2886 5782
Red W: 70.0/129 330 281 357 116 432 125 295 428 290 2654 421 308 109 422 312 409 114 126 323 2544 5198

Year Built 2000
Architect Jack Nicklaus (2000) Troy Vincent (2000)

Carts Yes - $25 - $35

Golf School Academy Yes - "Rocky Gap Youth Golf Academy"

Single Allowed No
Dress code Collared shirt. No denim, bathing suits, cut-offs, or sweats.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Maryland (2017 #14)

Great Conditions with beautiful, challenging layout

Arrived at Rocky Gap and got to the starter within 5 minutes. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Course was in great shape and has some amazing views. Fairways were soft with some roll to them, greens were fast and well maintained, and the bunkers were full of nice, soft sand. The carts were extremely helpful with the GPS inside. What was most enjoyable was the layout. Front nine is full of elevation change with some open shots and some narrow ones. Lots of bunkers made it challenging along with tight shots. The back is more open and plays somewhat like a links course. Greens had some major slopes with great speed. Overall just an excellent place to play golf. Fresh water on every few holes to keep hydrated with some restrooms and smooth cartpaths. I would highly recommend this course to anyone looking for a 5 star course to play.

Very friendly staff. Course maintenance crew have done a very good job on the course. Tees fairways and greens in great shape. Today’s play for the course play longer then Norma due to heavy rain over night. So not much roll. But I’m sure I’ll be back ...

Heard bad things about the staff but I had a great time and staff was very friendly. Would definitely play this course again.

Course in need of maintenance

Except for a couple holes which don’t agree with my game, this is a good layout. The course needs some maintenance though. For instance, the approach to the seventh green is obscured by 6-12 foot trees in the small stream fronting the green. This used to be a beautiful sight from the fairway but no more. There were other instances of the need to cut back trees and weeds. Also, the tees and fairway grasses had not been cut for a couple days.

Very nice course

I drove an hour and a half to play this course. Enjoyed the course layout. Challenging without being crazy. The greens were in great condition and rolled true. Would recommend. Afterwords you have the casino for entertainment

Second Time at Rocky Gap

Played a number of years ago but could not remember much about the course. This time found the course in great condition. A fairly challenging course but still very playable. Views from many of the holes is just beautiful. They also have a great outdoor pub type eatery with a view of the lake for you to eat at before or after the round. I would definitely recommend this course and plan on going back again!!!

Tee time not honored.

I booked a tee time through Golfnow.com. I showed up one hour before the tee time. The proshop could not confirm the tee time even though I showed the online confirmation. Then, I was asked to go to the starter. But, they had already given away my tee time to another group. And I had to wait 30 minutes for the next tee time when somebody else cancelled their tee time.

Poor coordination.

Dissapointed

I was really looking forward to playing another Jack Nicklaus course after playing Punta Espada in Punta Cana and His Secrets Los Cabos course last year. Well, that turned into disappointment soon after we arrived. We heard a couple of gentlemen talking about running out of gas in two different golf carts during their round, Well, you guessed it, It happened to us and many others and it appears based on some other reviews I saw this morning, that this has been going on for some time. In addition, they allowed a six-some, yes a six-some to play and as expected, the back nine was backed up. We turned around on 11th and went to the hotel. The course is beautiful but it needs care and much better management. Needless to say that it needs new carts. Felt sorry for the 3-4 guys there that were continuously towing 2-3 golf carts back to the clubhouse or to somewhere in the course, Before we arrived, I was already looking at the possibility of playing again on Sunday before we went back home. Will go to Maryland National instead.

Course under water, should have been closed

Rocky Gap Golf Course is a beautiful Jack Nicklaus layout near Cumberland MD. Our group had set up a starting time today at 09:50. The 18 hours prior to our tee time saw the course and surrounding areas receive 4 inches of rain. The deluge ended overnight and I called the course at 08:00 this morning to make sure it was open, and was told yes with cart path only. Understandable. We arrived and the course was literally underwater. Most of the fairways had standing water throughout. The rough had not been recently cut, and that coupled with the rain made it un-playably long. Each and every bunker had several inches to several feet of water in them, and that is no exaggeration. Because of the ridiculous conditions, play took forever, nearly 5 hours for our three-some, mainly due to time wasted looking for golf balls. And to make matters worse, our three-some lost 17 golf balls in total!! These were NOT shots hit irretrievably into the woods. These were balls lost not only just a few feet off the fairways in the unplayable rough, but also balls lost IN the fairways. Balls plugged not to be found. The management of Rocky Gap did the course and the players a disservice by allowing play today. They displayed an inordinate lack of common sense given the abundance of water throughout the course. We will not be returning and I urge those who played today to do the same.

Staff did not seem very engaged

First off, to be fair, we only were able to play 2.5 holes before lightning and thunderstorms forced us from the course. we ended up calling it a day; at the bag drop, a teenager was manning the podium and did not seem interested that we were there. We unloaded our clubs and set them next to the podium; We then parked our car and when we came back to the podium, he was nowhere to be seen and our clubs were still not loaded; we loaded our own clubs. The woman in the proshop did not seem interested that we were here. Our tee time was delayed by 30 minutes due to mowing the fairways on the front 9. There was a lot of clippings along the fairways. I cannot speak to the rest of the course as we ended up with a raincheck for 18 holes. My friend and I will return in September or October and hopefully get a better idea of the layout. Again, the staff just did not seem to care that we were here. If I had played 9 holes then would not have bothered with a rain check. I only live about 1 hour away so we will give it one more try. Hopefully the staff will be more welcoming.

Wrong date!

I checked the date twice and it showed Friday 8/31 not 8/29 so...I have no review as I wasn’t slated to go until Friday! Hope they enjoyed my green fees as this sucks!

A Gamblers Course

This resort course looks hammered. The course obviously gets played all the time. The greens had recently been aerated, but none of the staff mentioned that fact. One would think that a sign on the pro shop door would suffice. Fairways were green but patchy. Tee boxes and sand traps were well maintained. This course is long and has lots of blind shots. Unless the average golfer is having an outstanding day; he/she will be writing down lots of 6"s and 7"s. I would occasionally play this course as a hot deal only if I lived within an hours drive.
If you're a gambler and a golfer then this course is prime time; otherwise your trip here will give you a headache.

Worth the stop

We book as a spontaneous break in traveling and it was totally worth it. The staff could not have been kinder- every single person was friendly and the rangers were seen often, but not intrusive. Play was slow this day but that was due to cart path only & a pair of outings in the morning. The course is fai & challenging with some really beautiful holes. Definitely give it a try!

Six some...SLOW

What a beautiful resort and golf course. Such a beautiful and challenging layout. Each hole is your own as you wind through elevation changes and receptive greens. Fairways are hive put the rough will penalize you. Sand in bunkers was firm but clearly not raked daily. The cart girls were friendly and prices were cheaper than most. After round found great bar food and atmosphere at a great price. But you let a six some play two groups ahead of us. Tired of getting to the next tee to see the group ahead had not tees off. It appeared they were out of position by about an hour. Marshall said he made them skip a hole and blamed it on the pro. My daughter moved to the area and I searched for a new go to place but many other slow play reviews. Maybe this course does not care. I noted that the course does not respond to reviews, maybe it is time for a new pro. Ps the other couple playing with me quit the round due to pace of play

Rocky Gap Golf

The course was wet but the beautiful surroundings more than made up for this.

Great rates by Golf Now!

Enjoyable challenge

There is a tee box for everyone, but don’t bite off more than you should. It will be a long day if you do. Bring a few extra balls if you are erratic off the tee. Fun course. Will play again.

Rocky Gap has become a go to spot for people in the area due to the casino and other resort amenities. I was expecting the golf course to be in a little better condition given the time of year. Greens were slow, fairways were a little crisp but overall the course was in good shape. The front nine is more difficult, not a lot of room to miss off the tee. The back nine is more open and receptive to wayward tee shots. Scenary on the course is beautiful. With the leaves changing you will have plenty of opportunites to get some great pictures. The staff was very friendly helpful. I would recommend this course to all and look forward to playing it again

Cumberland, Maryland