A view of green #2 at Bulle Rock Golf Club.

Bulle Rock Golf Club

Year Built 1998
Golf Season March - November
Architect Pete Dye (1998)

Caddies Yes

Snacks, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities, Locker Rooms

Great birthday round

Great public course.. entire staff was very friendly and helpful..course is well maintained and pace of play was good.. course layout has a lot of variety and is challenging but fair.

Beautiful Course

Love playing Bulle Rock! Course is always in outstanding condition. A long drive to the range. Interesting layout with lots of mounds in the rough. Fairways smooth yet soft underfoot. Greens fast and the grain is definitely in play so include in your read. Very playable course for all levels if you use the proper tees for your skill level. Couple of really long holes. This is a true 5 star course.

The course was in great shape. It is a challenging course, but a fair course. The greens had a fair amount of undulation that can be a strong test for even the best golfers. Overall, a great experience.

In the end, it's surprisingly unmemorable

As a Maryland resident, I had placed this course at the top of my in-state bucket list. I was really disappointed, then, when I couldn't identify what all the fuss is about with this course. Yes, it's sprawling, and yes, it's in great shape for midsummer, and yes, several of the holes are attractive. But for me, its reputation as a destination course that deserves a $100+ greens fee is unearned. My friend and I kept saying variations of, "I like it, but it's not great." If they cut the cost in half, I guess I would return, but even then I wouldn't be enthusiastic. I did click "Yes" for whether I would recommend this course to a friend, but probably just to play once.

great layout

slow,, no marshalls, 4:45 course not crowded, group in front wouldn't let play thru. Greens have been better during past rounds, slow 9 on stimp. despite above great layout, great course , price unbeatable.

Golf Now Deal Time

First time playing the Bulle Rock golf course after hearing about it for years. We booked the tee time through the GolfNow App for $50 dollars which is less than half of the normal rate. The course was perfect except for a few greens they may have recently been aerated but still puttable. The rough was super challenging. The course was nothing special, no holes that wow'd you.

For $50 dollars I would play it all day but if I would have paid the full rate. >$100 dollars, It would have been a disappointment.

Great Course!!

Staff and facility are above par!!! Very friendly and courteous!!

Course is challenging and extremely well maintained. Greens and fairways like carpet!

I highly recommend this course!

Our only complaint was groundskeeping crew didn’t stop while we were playing through. Kind of aggravating. This kind of takes away from the overall experience.

Worth every penny

Any time you get a chance to play this course, on a fabulous weather day, and for the cost of the deal I got, you take advantage of it!! 5 star course, all around. The rough was high today. Hard to find sometimes just off the fairway. It cost me a couple strokes today. Greens were a little thin in some spots, but were fast and near impossible to hold in some spots. Always worth the trip. Always 5 stars.

Top notch

My first time playing this course which I had heard a lot about. Every hole has its interests and challenges and you have to control your shots well to avoid slopes and a bunkers. Greens have a lot of subtle breaks that you have to watch out for. But they weren't ridiculously fast like a lot of upscale courses. if you're playing it the first time like I did I suggest you review the flyovers on their website so you know what you're going to face.

Always a true gem !

Played Bulle Rock many times in the past and it’s always been great. This time everything was perfect, except the greens weren’t at 100%. 2-3 more weeks of maintenance and they will be fabulous as usual. I got a great HotDeal on Golfnow and played for only $50, which if you’ve been there before, is unbelievable. Can’t wait to get back down there in the next few weeks when the greens are perfect !

Virginia Advisor

A Pure Test of Golf

As the host of many state and national-level championships, Bulle Rock has gathered a strong reputation for toughness and excellence. In recent years, its greens fees have come down a significant amount leading many who haven't played here in a while to wonder if the course has suffered as a result. On the contrary, the course not only matches its esteemed legacy but is now a great value!

First impressions come from first interactions and for me that began with a call from Marta at the front desk to let me know the GolfNow tee time I had reserved was actually unavailable and made accommodations to get me out soon after. My friendly interactions with her, another front desk associate and the thorough and helpful starter all indicated to me the high level Bulle Rock sets their customer service standards.

A quick COVID19 note: don't forget your face mask so you can enter the pro shop to check in. Restrooms and snack shop at the turn are open. Noodles in the cups, practice range open.

Speaking of the practice facilities I have rarely seen better and was kicking myself for not showing up early to utilize them. I believe I overheard them say one of their driving ranges were closed but that another, shorter one (irons only maybe?) was open. There was also several pitching and chipping and putting greens to hone your skills, which really comes in handy on a tough course like this.

As with most Pete Dye courses, miss a little and you're in big trouble. That said, the course isn't overly penal if you know where to miss and I was happy to not implode as I had done two weeks before at the equally difficult Laurel Hill GC down in Northern VA. Many of the holes are quite pretty and despite being sent off the back 9 first and straight into the teeth of the course, I really enjoyed the routing, particularly the finishing (9th) hole with a great risk-reward tee shot.

Conditions were nearly perfect with excellent tees, fairways, and bunkers. The greens still showed signs of coming back from aeration but rolled smoothly and at a moderately quick pace. If you've played any Pete Dye course, you know the rough is a main defense and as such requires a thick, even application. I'm happy to report that is the case here and had to use my sand wedge more than once to get back on the fairway.

So often, a public course with a big name and big rep struggles to live up to them or simply rest on their laurels. Bulle Rock is not only met my high expectations, at just $84 it exceeded them.

Bulle Rock is the a great course. I understand why it is always ranked at the top or near the top of courses you can play in Maryland. I only had one problem today. I don't understand the reason you can't use a pushcart. They let you walk, but no pushcart. It can't be for speed because they let you walk. It can't be for damage to the course because push carts cause no damage and are safer for the course than riding carts. Maybe the owner thinks that the course looks less professional with push carts. Everything else was great, just would of been better to walk with a cart.

Great day

Staff went out of their way to he save but friendly and accommodating at the same time. The were directive buy hospitable at the same time. The course was in great ship and except for the wind it was a perfect day. Cant wait to play Bulle Rock again!

A Must Play!

Been waiting to play this Fazio course for years, but it’s an hour and a half drive and the price was a bit high. They have decent Hot Deals now so I made the journey, and it didn’t disappoint! I hear the rough gets pretty knarly later in the year, and it’s fairly thick now so plan accordingly, but do plan!!!

Commented on 05/22/2020

Not a Fazio course ...... this is a Pete Dye course and it is one of his best !!!!

Commented on 05/22/2020

This is a Pete DYE course and one of his best !!!!!

Love the course!