Year Built 1985
Fairways Rye
Greens Bent
Architect Lindsay Ervin

Credit Cards Accepted None

Can't Remember Ever Playing This Course...

I've played all the Montgomery County courses, but don't know how I missed this one. We played on a Saturday morning, and the starter was a little disorganized but got us out on time. (I think just a lot of people converged on him, and he lost track.) I didn't realized when I booked the tee time how short the course is...6200 yards (and some change) from the tips and 4500 yards from the forward. There were some interesting holes, but also somewhat of a strange layout. Mostly, the fairways were in good condition, the rough was unmowed, long and thick, and the greens had some subtle breaks. There were no cart paths...only from the tee to get you to the fairway, so for new players we didn't know where we were going. We had to use the map on the back of the scorecard. Several blinds shots, where we were hit into, and a fair amount of either elevated tees or elevated greens. I didn't fall in love with the course, nor did I hate it. I thought it was a tad overpriced for what you get. I'll stick with Northwest, Rattlewood or Little Bennett. But, certainly worth a try if you want to try something a little different.

Its good for what it is - but let me set the record straight

Okay, this course is fairly old and mature. The main course doesn't have housing or road noise that gets in the way. However, it is a very short course(even from the back tees) and the greens are basically large and flat. The slope rating on this course should give you an idea of the difficulty. Why others are reviewing this course as a "great challenge" or the "more challenging of the MoCo courses" is odd to me. This place is not anywhere near as challenging as Little Bennett, or even Hampshire Greens, or Northwest golf course. The slope ratings prove that. It is a good place to play for all skill levels as it is forgiving and short. Single digit handicappers will be able to shoot in the 70's and have a chance to put up a really good score. High handicappers will have a good shot of breaking 90. Decent course and conditions, but not very challenging.

All The Spring Rain Paid Off

Course was in very good condition. Very green. The course layout was fair while giving different looks to keep more experienced golfers engaged. Nice equipment/gear in the pro shop too. My carry bag was covered with mildew due to the rain. They had Sun Mountain 2.5 ultra-light carry bags. I checked the price and they were extremely competitive with what was online. So I bought one. I will return.

5:15 to play

Don't waste your money. The greens are scuffed with some type of machine and uncut. Leaves are normal this time of year but Needwood is doing nothing to clear them. Staff said that they get so much play that it's not important to care about the golfers or to offer them any specials. Oh and did I mention 5:15 pace. It was a beautiful day outside today and the company was great. I'm not going back, too many other courses in this area that do care about the course and the golfers.

Nice course.

Made a mistake playing on a holiday. Very slow play. Regular tee times and ladies tournament going on at the same time. Very unorganized. Check before you get a tee time . Other then that course is good shape. Food very good.

Wonderful fall day on one of our favorite courses

Just all around pleasant outing, good starter, good conditions and good pace of play

Very playable

This was a extremely good course. Playable in the fact that the rough was fair. Hit a low shot so reaching the fairway is difficult for me on long carries. Was not a problem here.

Needwood

Good County course for the money. Greens in great shape

needwood

i have always liked needwood, great place to play. not too hard but challenging for the average golfer. would recommended to everyone.

Thoroughly enjoyed the round. Greens were tough but I was using a new putter. Will definitely play again. Staff was great.

great public course

For the value and challenges it presents, this course is highly recommended for better than novice golfers.

Best fairway and green by far for thus early of the season

Not bad

Course can be hit or miss with conditions but for most part it's not the best of the MCG courses. Tougher layout than most of the MCG courses but does offer the best inside 9 course around. If you are a beginner or taking kids out, the Executive 9 at Needwood is the way to go. The main course can be so-so.

Nice Muni

This is a nice place to play for the average golfer. The course features large greens with some elevation changes. To the county's credit they do a nice job trying to maintain the property with new sand in the bunkers and special attention paid to troubled areas. If I have a complaint I think the fees are slightly high for what the course is a local muni, not an upscale daily fee.

to golf or not to golf

Been playing Needwood for years now but since NEW management the prices went up BUT the course has gone DOWN........I only play there when I find a good deal on Golf Now or one of the other golf websites.

Phenomenal Back 9

Great course. The back nine really gets interesting - especially 13, 16 and 18. Pace is good, people paired up with are very friendly . Enjoyed it.

Almost excellent

This is a very good course. We played a threesome in 4 hours. We didn't eat or drink, but the facilities seemed nice. I have played here before and would play again. The fairways were nice and the greens were a little bumpy, but still in decent shape. I will definitely play again. Minor things would make this an excellent course. Upgrading cart paths and improving landscaping on some of the holes.

good value,

Got off at tee time, no backups, course in good shape

Rainy day and greens were real fast

Rainy day, but still had a great time. Surprised how fast the greens were with the rain. Would recommend course.

Moved along nicely

Greens were just punched-could have cut them a little shorter. Appreciated the staff and other golfers allowing us two to play through.

Derwood, Maryland