Chesapeake Bay Golf Club at North East

This golf course is closed for business. Not true? Let us know.
Looking for other options nearby?

2.1

Editor's Note: Course closed for business. Chesapeake Bay Golf Club in North East, Md. wanders through a scenic landscape of forests and wetlands, tumbling across rolling green hills. The course was carefully carved from a mature forest that sits less than a quarter mile from Chesapeake Bay. As many trees as possible were kept in tact, framing most of the holes along the fairways and greens. The wetlands come into play throughout. The elevation changes range from subtle to dramatic and they provide plenty of challenging lies. Strategically placed bunkers complement Chesapeake Bay Golf Club's natural contours. Not many golf courses end with a par 3, but that doesn't mean you're in the clear on the finishing hole. The fast green slopes severely to the left, demanding careful course management or else you're in for some challenging putts.
The Chesapeake 70 6417 yards 71.2 128
Family Gold (W) 70 4142 yards 63.4 107
Family Blue 70 3070 yards 57.8 93
Family Blue (W) 70 3070 yards 57.5 94
Scorecard for North East
Chesapeake M: 71.2/128 406 328 356 175 403 530 345 285 177 3005 419 407 420 395 540 426 216 376 175 3374 6379
The Bay M: 69.3/126 386 312 337 166 391 518 308 265 164 2847 389 356 405 369 531 399 192 353 136 3130 5977
The Pines M: 67.8/126 W: 70.5/122 362 306 326 157 317 476 256 254 131 2585 369 293 361 318 521 372 180 330 124 2868 5453
The Heron M: 67.1/113 347 234 308 147 290 447 228 237 127 2365 291 245 339 293 449 308 149 262 113 2449 4814
Family Gold M: 62.6/106 W: 63.4/107 265 234 270 105 256 375 228 237 100 2070 250 245 265 250 370 260 100 220 112 2072 4142
Family Blue M: 57.8/93 W: 57.5/97 185 180 195 75 195 290 185 170 55 1530 165 180 200 190 280 195 75 180 75 1540 3070

Year Built 1954
Architect Al Zikorus

Course is in rough shape

We played this course due to the Labor Day deal but even at the rate I wouldn't play this course if it was free. I wanted to try a new course but this was a terrible decision. The gentleman in the club house did tell us the summer has taken its tool on the course but it should be shut down until repairs are done to bring it back. I was told rising sun course is much better. It's hard to imagine that it could be that much better if the same crew does both courses with the shape this was in.

Back in good shape

I've played CBGC North East for 20 years and at this time it is in as good a shape as I've ever seen it. Where the course was virtually unplayable a month ago, the new super has done a great job. Greens still have some bad spots, but overall they are fast and true. Fairways are in nice condition as is the rough. Bunkers still need some work. CBGC NE has always had rough edges and that remains. Cart paths will pound your kidneys.

The best thing is that rounds are priced correctly. If they keep their current fees, around $30, this is a course worth playing.

Unfortunately the bar and restaurant is closed and may not open this year, but there is beer in the pro shop.

For the love of God stay away

In 30 years of golf have never played a course in this horrible of a condition. FairwYs either burnt out and rock hard or soft and muddy. Every green had dirt patches. Would not lY here again if they paid me.

This course is in great condition

Chesapeake Bay Golf Club at North East was in excellent condition and the price was right. The greens were pure and the fairways plush. The layout is great and the views from the clubhouse even better. The clubhouse sits high above the course and the view is out of this world. I played a few days ago and had the time of my life. The staff was extremely professional and catered to my every move, they made my day that much more enjoyable. After a great day of golf, i had the best Crab Cake and handcut fries i had ever had. The food in the Blue Heron Grille was excellent. I would recommend this course and restaurant to everyone! The value was great and the atmosphere was family friendly with the best views around, this course is a must play.

Great Deal ....terrible course maintenance

Played on a very hot Tuesday morning in July with my wife. We are out-of-Towners and had played this course and it's sister course in nearby Rising Sun around 8 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised that we had been lucky enough to catch a "2 for Tuesday" special. We payed only $40 for 2 people total including the cart. We couldn't believe what a deal that was.....we were also shocked that the parking lot only had 5 or 6 cars in it at 10 am. We chalked it up to a very humid 90 degree day. It only took 2 holes to figure out the price break and lack of Golfers. The cart paths were washed out and rutted paths that were like riding in number cars. The fairways and tee boxes were extremely poor and had many brown and bare spots. Sand traps around the greens looked like they hadn't been raked or maintained in months. The greens were the only parts of this course that were no disappointing. We ran into 2 young kids who were doing some maintenance around the first green....we asked them why the course was in such dilapidated shape and how much it had changed in the past 8 years since we had been their last. The 2 young men told us that they worked at the sister course and were only there for the day to help out. They said all of the money made goes to the clubhouse upkeep as they do a good event/wedding business. They told us that it is well known in the local community of golf that the course was being neglected. Wow.....we played our round in 3:50 and it would have been quicker but we had 2 elderly gents playing very slowly in front of us. We got lunch at the turn and I must say the sandwiches were delicious and reasonably priced. If you are looking for a cheap place to play with no regards for course condition or the welfare of your back (cart paths)...this is a good option. Unfortunately, we will not be returning to play this course.

God course through the woods

I like this course. It does not seem to get much play. It is in much better shape than last year. Most of the course is carved out of the woods so you are not in the sun all the time & most holes are separate from one another. It would be a tough course to walk as there is some distance between greens to tee on many holes. Nice restaurant overlooking the first fairway.

Not bad

It was late in the season so the course was being repaired. I have played this course under good conditions and was pleased. It's worth the money but is only a decent course.

Worst course condition I ever played.

The condition of this course was the worst that I ever played. The fairways hardly had any grass in them and a number of holes had the entire fairway roped off that had grass seed recently planted. The greens were just as bad as the fairways. The cart paths were rutted and washed out on every hole. My back is still sore from the ride around the course. The staff was very courteous but the horrendous course condition should be explained to the customer before booking.

Course is close to rock bottom

I have seen this course continue to go downhill in terms of maintenance. A friend wanted to play there today so I tagged along. Green fee was $30 and they gave you a coupon for a free round in the future (but you still have to pay $20 for a cart during your free round). Guess that means the golf only cost $10 now. So 2 rounds for $25 each - still not worth it. They indicated several of the fairways are being planted with new Bermuda grass and as such they require a lot of watering and if you ball lands in those areas (which on some fairways are huge), you play it as ground under repair. So you trek out to the middle of the mud pile (they call new grass) pick up your ball , walk back out of the roped area and take a drop. Not sure how all this foot traffic is going to promote grass growing. And I can understand that growing and maintain grass is difficult and takes time to turn around. But the bunkers were a joke. Mostly dirt and rock. Areas where they use railroad tie steps are so rotted they are dangerous. Half of the water containers on the course were empty (and it was almost 90 out). The 'mid course' snack shack was closed and no beverage cart. For now this is a $15 course #with cart#

Needs attention, has potential

I took advantage of the hot deal, looking for a place to play 18 with my son. We were greeted by a young man who carried our bags to the cart while we checked in. Upon checking in we were given to free greens fee for future use and 10 % off coupon at the grill. It was explained to us that the course was in poor condition and they wanted us to come back when it was in better condition. The course it self was in bad condition. Very little grass in the fairways. It looked as though the course had flooded and poor drainage caused the grass to die and fungus to grow. I would gladly go back. The course it self is not very long but it is challenging. You need to be accurate with your tee shot as fairway bunkers and out of bounds come in to play on most holes. The layout is confusing. Attention needs to payed to the sign directing you to the next tee.

Very Nice layout, Enjoyable round.

The course was pretty bad shape because of recent weather. When we arrived we were told of conditions, and given a complimentary round for later this year. All in All course was a JOY to play. Staff was VERY friendly and accommodating. This is a 41/2 star course, but because of conditions 3 for now.

Rough shape, potential is exciting

The staff and great layout are what will bring me back to this fun layout. From the pro shop to the restaurant to the marshall, the staff set an example the rest of the golf industry should try to attain. Very enjoyable course if one overlooks the bad shape of the fairways. Greens were fair, tee boxes were ok. If you play here, just enjoy the course for what it is knowing that it will get better after the conversion.

what great views and vistas. Feels like you are the only group on the course

Great bang for the buck. Staff was great. Golf course in great shape and well maintained. Played in less than 4 hours and had a great time. Have to hit all the shots. After golf had a 5 star crab cake and ice cold Beer which was the perfect way to end the day. Plan on playing again real soon.

Forgettable Round, Forgettable Course

Looking for a new course to play, I decided on Chesapeake Bay's North East course after finding a considerably cheap tee time. Unfortunately, the course gives little/no bang for the few bucks spent. Layout was pretty simple, lacking any interesting/imaginative holes. A number of blind shots, along w/ waterlogged conditions, led to many lost balls in play. Cart paths drive like the outback. Don't need to go back.

Good greens but that where it ends.

Basic golf. Tee boxs and fairways are very rough but the greens are worth the $30 I paid. The entire course is tree lined. There are a couple of drivable par fours and lots of dog legs that require accurate irons off of the tee.

Awesome course layout, needs work

First of all, Brian in the Pro Shop is first class. Super nice and helpful to say the least. We played this course after it rained. The views are awesome and you are one with nature. We saw deer which was cool. The greens are in perfect shape, but bunkers where the worse I can remember. They are filled with rocks which I'm not sure why. The tee boxs are flat and could used mowed but wasn't that big of a deal. We drove and hour and 30 minutes to play and probably will pay one more time this year. You need to be a straight hitter as the fairways are tight.

Pleasant Surprise

I had heard some not so great things about this course, so I was pleasantly surprised with my first round there. The course was in great shape -- well tended and nicely planted. It is a little tight in some places due to surrounding homes and some of the cart paths make you feel like you're on a camping trip. However, all in all, it is a pretty nice track. I'll be back.

Perryville, Maryland