Year Built 1910

Massachusetts Advisor

A Wet Course at the End of a Rainy Fall

I had not played BG&T since it was Folly Hill back in the '70's. I came out on a cool and cloudy Monday to see how it was doing. I knew that we were having the wettest Fall ever, but I was not quite prepared for how wet this course could be. I saw several carts out and it was not Cart Path Only, so I figured it would be playable. In reality, the course was so wet that carts should have been kept in the barn and the course might be better served being closed. There were puddles and washouts everywhere, and no roll on any shot. I did recall a few of the notable holes, although the two tiered green had been tamed a bit and some of the putting was less menacing than I recalled. It is still a solid, old school layout with great elevation changes. I imagine the conditions were better before all of the rain. I just hope the damage being done by carts and play in the Fall do not hurt the conditions come the Spring. I may give BG&T another shot in the future and hopefully I will get a more accurate picture of it.

Okay Conditions

I went to school in Beverly for 12 years so I was able to play a few holes here and there throughout the years. A few weeks ago, I played 18 holes here for the first time. I enjoyed the experience overall. The conditions were a little below average, but it is nearing the end of the season and a lot of these public courses get that way once August hits.

Great course on the north shore

This is my go to course on a weekend morning. Sometimes during the summer months it's tough with tournaments to get a tee time. Course is in good condition, most of the year it was in excellent condition but starting to get a bit dry lately. Greens are in great condition except 16 some dirt patches in the back of green. My personal favorite back to back par 3 on 11 and 12, 11 is a tough 1 better to be short then long, and no room to be left.18 is another deceiving hole, 225 down the fairway is a creek that eats up balls. I have never been to the grill as I usually tee off by 630am

Boston Advisor

Quick 9 on the north shore

I found Beverly golf and tennis club a very enjoyable course. My gf and I only had time for 9 do we decided to go to Beverly. Very quick and easy to find off the freeway. Pro shop was smallish but people inside and starter very helpful and friendly. Range was very short and had mats to hit off. This was my only complaint. Course was in great shape!! Green and lush. Fairways newly mowed and very playable. Greens were slow but consistent. We played front nine where there are a few short holes # 4,5 and 9. But still rewarded good shots. After round we went into grille to find that on Mondays there is no cook so we had a nice cold draft on patio. Grill room is in parking lot so no views of course. Overall a fun day and will plan on going back to play full 18.

Commented on 08/31/2015

Just want to add to Richie's review. The tee boxes make a big difference on the front nine. The fourth hole is 400 yards. That's not really "short," unless you played the forward tees for a hero shot from 266 yards. 5 and nine are just over 300 yards from the back tees. 6th hole par 3 is 195 from the back instead of 160 from forward tees. It's not a long course, but it's not a "short course." Course has a fun layout but conditions have deteriorated.

Salem, Massachusetts