Captains Golf Course - Starboard

Scorecard for Starboard Course
Blue M: 72.6/130 376 162 518 451 213 303 533 404 366 3326 371 218 358 530 397 395 468 179 534 3450 6776
White M: 69.4/123 352 131 491 401 178 287 507 370 322 3039 344 182 326 481 378 361 427 156 504 3159 6198
Gold M: 68.2/117 W: 73.1/124 333 126 474 382 137 265 476 345 304 2842 331 159 309 468 362 334 395 141 492 2991 5833
Red W: 71.2/116 306 91 431 362 120 248 451 323 295 2627 302 149 292 457 317 309 357 112 437 2732 5359

Year Built 1985
Architect Geoffrey Cornish Brian Silva (1985)

Practice Hole Yes

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard
Dress code Proper Dress Required

Excellent Greens, great conditions

Played here for the first time in a few years (I am visiting my dad in Brewster), and really enjoyed the layout. Course was in excellent condition fairways, greens,and tees were all full and lush. A lot more walkable than I remember, a great place to play. Don't hesitate to play here.

Nice Course, Restaurant Staff Needs Help

We played at 8am on a Sunday. The course was in good shape and the pace was ok.

After putting on the 8th hole, I called the restaurant to order 4 breakfast sandwiches. I didn't want to hold anyone up b/c we didn't eat breakfast. The "gentleman" on the other end of the phone said that they don't take orders b/c they make the food quick, and he was afraid I wouldn't pay for the sandwiches. After $95 greens fees, he's worried about a $6 sandwich?

After telling me that he wouldn't make said sandwiches until I was in the shop, we went in and waited. We waited long enough so that the group behind us (members I guess- saw some bag tags) was irritated that they had to wait.

It's not a hard concept: if you keep the pace of play, people will enjoy their rounds. Captains, you guys need to improve.

Boston Advisor

Great layout and in good condition

For years The Captains complex was rated as one of the top in the state and it lived up to that billing today. The layout is fantastic with elevation changes and well bunkered fairways. The greens were in good shape and lightning fast which was shocking because they held most approach shots. The tee boxes were in excellent condition as well. I would highly recommend you add this course to your Cape Cod itinerary.

All ahead flank

What a great course, big, fair, challenging with greens that made you work. Tee box to green the conditions were fantastic. I look forward to playing the right side next.

This course was in great condition

My wife and I played a round on October 27th and the weather was a perfect sunny 60degrees. We will be back out there as soon as possible. The New England college championship happened to be there this particular weekend which probably meant that the grounds crew put a lot of extra work into cleaning the leaves. The round was well worth the 1.5 hour ride. Can't wait to hit it again. Highly recommend it.

The course has great faiways and very nice tees!

Played the starboard course for the first time and enjoyed it very much.

Great course, port course very challenging!

We enjoyed the course and found that it was challenging with long fairways and fast greens!

Good course and very good value

For a course that gets so much play, this was in very good condition. The greens were in very good condition, rolled true and quick. The fairways were lush and overall in very good shape.. The pace of play was very good and we finished faster than most places I play. The course was a fair challenge from the whites.

Enjoyable course and a good, but long round

We booked a GolfNow hot deal (pre-paid), and based on the low price, were very happy with the value we received. The course layout is very nice, with several sets of tees. Unfortunately, the group in front of us had two players playing from the back tees, and I doubt that they broke 110 from a scoring perspective. They were also waiting on a similarly slow group in front of them, so we had to maintain our patience throughout the 5+ hour round. The PGA/USGA marketing campaigns to "Tee it Forward" and "While we're young!" could have filmed training videos of what not to do. This wasn't the fault of the course, but maybe some more diligent enforcement of pace-of-play would have helped.

The Captains Starboard course

The young man in the pro shop was not close to being friendly. The fairways need some work and the greens were too slow but we did play late in the day.

great course

When we come to Brewster we always play both of the courses. There is a ranger who keeps the groups moving so you can finish in 4 hrs. 15 min. All the holes are unique and the greens are not too fast. We are never disappointed playing at he Captain's course.

In need of a vacation

At this point in a Cape Cod summer, this course is getting a lot of play (nearly a five-hour round). Unfortunately, the course can't handle the stress. The greens are hard and bumpy. The fairways are pocked and have brown spots. The groundskeepers are cutting into the soil in places and the greens look like they've had some aeration work done, but I'm not keen on paying these courses' full fare for the conditions they are currently offering in return. The Starboard course was straightforward and didn't offer any hidden tricks, which made it enjoyable from a design standpoint -- if not terribly challenging.

Good Lower Cape Golf

From Chatham the Captain's is an easy 15 minute drive. The Port course (never played Starboard) is a nice layout with fairly challenging holes from the tips. I love that it has 3 Par 5's on the back although 13 at 446 yards should really be a long par 4. The extremely hot weather over the July 4th week, really has taken it's toll on the greens and some fairways. The staff does a nice job and the $40 rate I got seemed fair (it was a 55% discount) so paying $80+ is probably not my cup of tee.

Fairways and Greens have suffered this summer

It looks like either the greens crew misused their fertilizer or the extreme heat in July caused marked brown areas on most fairways. It appears that they recently slice-seeded to try to correct this. This course is usually one of the better courses available in the area.

Course is in rough shape. Poor value for cost.

For the price point of the course, I expect greens that are smooth and fairways that are in decent shape. Most greens had extensive hole marks where the course aerated the greens. For August 1st on the Cape, I was surprised this was the case. The fairways also had evidence of aeration and maintenance which affected the ball flight when playing from the fairway. Overall, I was extremely disappointed with the course and do not plan on returning any time soon. My recommendation is drive an hour and find a course that is in half way decent shape.

Great day on the course

Had a great day playing 18 by myself within 3 hours. Course was in great shape and quite a deal for $30!

No longer a secret!

Being on Golf Now lets the cat out of the bag! The Captains Golf Courses have long been known to members as the best value on the Cape as their 2 - 18 hole layouts equate to the best of private courses here. However filling the 2 courses in today's economy is an ongoing challenge so I'm sure Golf Now will help. Anyway these courses are mostly user friendly and walking is the norm which saves time. The tees, fairways, and greens are lush with a long developed consistency for the best play in the most difficult conditions. If you're on Cape, don't miss it but please fill the off hour tee times for the good of the Town of Brewster.

Rode hard and put away wet

First time playing Captain Port, beautiful course, nice layout. This course apparently did not weather July well, although the fairways and tees are in decent shape, the green are in poor shape. Must have been the dry weather and lots of traffic, but the green are very bumpy and splotchy. I enjoyed the round, its was a bit slow but still enjoyable. The course will I'm sure bounce back in the fall, worth play for sure!

Brewster, Massachusetts