Worthington Manor Golf Club

2.3
1 reviews
1 reviews

Scorecard for Worthington Manor Golf Club
Black M: 74.7/145 414 395 437 430 533 198 372 175 556 3510 379 359 459 555 361 193 470 223 525 3524 7034
Blue M: 72.4/137 384 358 411 401 503 171 339 169 536 3272 346 332 423 522 340 171 430 188 502 3254 6526
White M: 70.0/132 366 326 396 378 485 145 309 155 513 3073 326 302 381 481 318 136 398 161 482 2985 6058
Red W: 70.1/127 334 285 329 341 450 126 206 147 428 2646 296 225 346 421 280 111 345 124 412 2560 5206

Year Built 1998
Architect Ault, Clark & Associates (1998)

2.4

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 13

Worst Starter East of the Mississippi

I booked a tee time for 7:30am. Came all the way from D.C. (1 hour drive) because the course is that nice. The starter was unbelievably rude to the point where we never played a hole and asked for a refund. At one point he literally said in front of a small group of people, "Do you know who I am?" The Golf Pro was very nice about it, refunded our money and even offered to buy our next round. I will never go back there until they let go of the starter.

Idaho Advisor

A real challenge from the tips, absolutely beautiful course

My morning at Worthington Manor was cold, wet, and wonderful. If you look closely at any of the pictures that include me, you’ll notice I’m wearing two gloves, which only happens on really cold days. However, no amount of rain or cold could ruin this good walk.

Playing from the tips, Worthington’s rating (74.7) and slope (145) threaten to challenge you; and they deliver on that promise. Beyond the 7000+ yards, there are plentiful turns, tight targets, deep extended rough and elevation changes to test your game. None of that, of course, includes the bunkers, greens, and water hazards which are also very much in play throughout this track. There are multiple holes where you are facing more than just added distance by playing all the way back, as the angles can dramatically change where you can effectively place your ball on the fairway.

Having said all of that, even from the back, the course is playable and there are very few holes which would cause too much trouble if you played them decently. The par three 17th might be the exception to that as you will need a good 200 yards of carry off the tee and you are essentially firing through a shoot of trees most of the way. The tee is elevated, though, so you don’t need a full 200 yard club to clear the creek in the front of the green.

This course is built on a watershed, and there are subsequently very few holes where you are not having to carry a decent amount of marshy waste area or water of some kind. Worm-burners off the tee here will frequently cost you a ball. The first and second holes are great examples of this; both requiring a roughly 200 yard carry to the elbow of a dogleg left. Because you are firing into a dogleg, the depth of your landing area is naturally reduced. The script is somewhat flipped on the long (437 yards) par 4 third, where the marsh carry is to the green; which, because of the length of the hole is going to be a longer iron for most players (without a good tee shot, this could quickly become a hole that plays as a par 5, requiring a layup shot before your approach). You get the idea, Worthington Manor will make you play some golf.

What you will not be challenged by, is finding a good view. This course is beautiful both in layout and environment. Surrounded by trees and rolling over and through countless hills Worthington has as many vistas as it does divots. The tee to green, everything is in terrific condition with nice sharp lines between cuts and putting surfaces that roll true (they were a little slow the day I played because of the rain, but my understanding is that on most days the pace is very good as well). As eluded to above, the design of the course is great, placing as high a premium on course management as ball striking.

The staff at Worthington were also commendable. Overtly friendly and helpful they were a significant feature and added considerable value to my visit. I talked to one of the guys for a few minutes about my trip and the experiences we have had. From the stories of my rounds thus far, he was able to identify holes in which I’d be likely to score and how I should go about doing it (as well as which ones I should simply manage and live to fight another day). By the time I was on the course, I felt like I had already played a practice round; and this helped… more than a little.

To me, if you are in the area, Worthington is a must play. I’m very excited about trying to get back out there and squeeze a round in during my next trip back east.

Slowest round I have ever played...

Played yesterday, a nice fall NFL Sunday. Thought people would be home watching football and we could get in a quick round. It took over 5 hours. With seemingly no end in site, the 2 players that were playing with my son and I left after the 11th hole. It never got any better and the one time we saw a ranger, he didn't say anything to anybody and just drove by. Extremely disappointing as it seems impossible to play well when you have to wait so long between every shot. The topper was that the course had no scorecards, only poor copies of one side with holes and distances.

Great course, tough challenge

There's a reason why the USGA continues to return to Worthington Manor to hold local US Open qualifiers, the course is in great shape, challenging, but fair. The main defenses are the greens, rough, and wind. Although the rough isn't that long, it's quite dense and can easily muffle a shot, which places a premium on finding the FW. However, even hitting a GIR isn't a guaranteed birdie or par. You definitely need to put your approach shot in the proper quadrant and below the hole. Otherwise, good luck! The course is in great shape despite the heat this summer, which makes you wonder why other courses can't keep pace. The price is reasonable given the course - it's a good deal.

Unreal Course

This course is essentially in my backyard and every time I play it I am amazed at how nice it is. Friendly staff, two tiered practice facility with separate chipping and putting areas (all real grass). It is an extremely tough course, plenty long, hills, undulations, blind tee shots....the hole 500 yds (see what I did there)!? Play it and you wont regret it. Plenty of membership options, great tee time reservation system, tasty drinks & food. It even has cool lighting in the parking lot. The 1st tee shot is an absolute beauty and yet I always miss right :) Play here and you wont regret it!

First time playing here

Championship caliber golf course, great value, excellent playing condition, challenging. Great, friendly ,and helpful staff. Excellent practice facility, Never seen a "drone" marshal, great idea, and seems to cover a lot of area quickly.

Cog Hill
Offering players of every ability level an opportunity to enjoy the game. Featuring four championship golf courses, including Dubsdread, which is ranked among the Top 100 courses in the country by Golf Magazine and Golf Digest.

Excellent course

Course is in amazing condition (US Open Qualifier coming) and is pretty challenging. Greens roll fast, winding greens, and forced carries. You have to think for most of our shots. Surprisingly, the bar/kitchen is very small for a place of this high caliber.

Happily Impressed

Just moved my home around the corner from this place. Was hoping it was as good as they say since my new proximity to the course makes it the perfect place to get a membership. I was not disappointed when I tried it out for the first time. Conditions were near perfect. The greens were tough. Very undulating in general, with steep slopes on many...and quick. Took me awhile, but I started to figure them out after 3-putting 3 of the first 5 greens! All the staff I came in contact with were very friendly and helpful. The practice area is very good, the range really nice with actual target greens/pins, not just flags. It looks almost as nice as the course itself. The views on this beautiful autumn day were gorgeous. The only negative I can come up with was that the pace of play should have been better on a light Monday, but all it takes is one slow foursome and no rangers for that to happen. Evidently there are rarely rangers on duty during lighter days. I understand the business reasons for having no rangers on light days, but if they had a ranger there is nothing negative that can be said about this place. Okay, maybe one small thing. Their carts need some updating and the GPS units are not the most up-to-date with all the bells and whistles and color illustrations that other really nice courses might have. No big deal for me, as I generally use a rangefinder anyway. However, I do appreciate and take advantage of some of the benefits of GPS if they are on the carts. In any case, Worthington passed my test and I will surely be purchasing a yearly membership shortly. Though there are many other really great courses in the area to play---and I will certainly take advantage of most of them in the future---having a place like Worthington to be my home course and daily practice facility is going to be pretty nice.

Beautiful challenging course

Amazing course..perfect conditions. Greens ran pure and true. Pace of play left a little to be desired. Overall a great experience and I would recommend this course to anyone with the opportunity to play it .

Valid dates: Sep 17, 2018 - Oct 31, 2018