Crystal Lake Golf Club

Year Built 1960
Architect Geoffrey Cornish (1960)

Carts Yes - $18

It Didn't Rain On Wednesday

Wednesday is my day to play and it always rains on Wednesday, except today !!!! Bright sunshine with a dry course !!! I don't play very well anymore, but I still enjoy a nice round of golf. Crystal Lake is a nice round of golf. Very friendly clubhouse man, nice playable course with really nice greens, a great place to play. Plenty of course from any of the four sets of tees that makes it a fun place to play. You will come back and play it again. Don't go long over the greens and stay below the hole on most of the holes, especially 13,16 and 17.

Nobody in Front

Early morning tee time in misty wet conditions. Overnight rain made the course very wet. No roll today !!! I have played here many times over the last two years and find it to be a great place to play. Not overly difficult, so it"s an enjoyable round. No fun if the course beats you up. Anytime you are looking for a good place to play, I recommend Crystal Lake in Haverhill.

Dissapointing

I had never played this course before. I have my usual courses but decided to try something different. The ratings were decent and they charge $60 so I assumed the golf experience would be good. Nope! I’ll start at the beginning. The parking area is very small and unpacked. The clubhouseisa trailer. There is no practice area that I saw. I had booked as a single online and assumed, for a noon tee time on a Sunday, I would be joining a threesome. The starter said no, I would be going out as a single., onto a crowded course. Not good. After two holes and 40 minutes, I decided I had better things to do with the next six hours. I headed back to my car and left. The course itself appeared to be in mediocre condition and the greens were like putting on a shag carpet. The cart paths were gravel and the tee boxes were small and hacked up. The one positive is the people were friendly. But you’ve got to do more than collect money nand point to the first tee. This place should not charge a penny more than $25.

Commented on 10/20/2019

Philz, we are so sorry for your experience. I would love the opportunity for a constructive conversion with you. Our reviews over the last 18 months (since we bought the course have been so positive), Your comments come as a huge surprise and we want to make this right.
Feel free to call me (714) 402-0770. Sincerely,

Jay Miller - Director of Golf Course Operations.

Plays Twice a year

Great coarse consition

The coarse is in great shape from tee to green. The staff was very friendly and accomidating. Lots of fun playing this coarse.

No drinking water on course!

Only writing this to warn other golfers that there is no drinking water available on the front nine of this course. Left after that so couldn't tell you if there was any on the back. Day I played was almost a hundred degrees and in my opinion, it was dangerous being out there without hydration.
Would have gladly purchased from clubhouse had I been warned. Please post a sign warning players so they can buy some from you in your clubhouse first...or just spring for a few coolers...not really that expensive you know!

Commented on 10/12/2019

If you're an adult and you are playing golf in 100 degree weather, ya should probably ehhhhhh I dunno bring a bottle of water with ya, it's not that expensive ya know! Golf bags even have these neat inventions called pockets in them for carrying them.

Would’ve gotten a great review but....

I had booked 12 (3 4somes) and we played in a row. Starter was friendly and we started off good until the 15th hole when the Marshall kept on us of pace of play. We were honestly 3hours and 20 mins in. The golf pro came out to tell us to pick up the pace as well. Now a total of 4hrs and 20 mins is good on a sun morning but not there. We finished 18 and the pro comes over to us and told us to hurry up and unload at our cars. Followed us to our car and began to be-little us and said we took wayyy to long. We unloaded and left the cart there and told him to drive it back himself. I like the course itself and the conditions but due to the un-professionalism of the Marshall and the pro left a sour taste in all of our mouths. GET MORE CARTS!!! A NEW PRO AND MARSHALL AND WE MIGHT GO BACK... that’s why they got a 1. Too bad. Was a pretty good value and course too...

Commented on 07/24/2019

I understand that our GM and Head Golf Professional reached out to you and cleared this misunderstanding up. Thank you for the nice course comments, we are working diligently to offer the best experience for the money in the Merrimack Valley .
Sincerely,
Jay Miller - Director of Golf Course Operations

Great course!!

This was our first time playing crystal lake.
Course was in FANTASTIC shape; greens were awesome but little fast compared to my home course.
Not complain... just informing. They rolled great!

Definitely returning here many more times this year!
Golf Now rates were big reason why we tried it!

Keep adding courses !

Brian B

Great value

Played back 9 walking in the late afternoon. The course is very open, but wet (it has been a wet spring)). Greens were in good shape, but slow. No backup on back nine, front was slow due to league. Would recommend for the price $21 for 9). Would go again for this price. Staff was friendly, kind of a laid back spot.

It’s an okay course

Greens were in great shape. Played very quick for general public course, and rolled pretty true. In fact with the slopes of the greens, if they played any quicker they’d be unfair.

Course is still pretty wet. Not much the owners can do about that. Geese are out of control. No idea what you can do about that. Get a dog maybe.

Nothing too bad to say, it was a decent course, better than many. Get rid of the geese and I’d give it a 3.5.

Commented on 05/31/2019

To address the reply from the course - you can't do much about how wet the course is. Obviously that impacts the areas just off the fairways that are overgrown and soggy. It just makes it a "meh" experience, but again - not much you can do.

What can you do? Figure out the geese. Get a dog or something to run them off. I probably wouldn't go back just because of the geese, it was that bad. A couple of holes were just disgusting, not to mention some of them had little ones and they'd block the cart paths when you tried to pass. I was walking, and that made it even worse.

Commented on 05/30/2019

Hi there - We appreciate the review. You rated us 3 stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Crystal Lake Golf Club. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Course is drying

The course is starting to dry out nicely. The front side was in good shape. The back side was still wet but they are doing a great job of managing the conditions. I would say they do need to put water out on the course for they players.

Every year gets worse.

Every year this course gets worse. I know it’s under new ownership but this course is in terrible shape. Has a ton of potential but it’s just is awful shape. Wouldn’t recommend this course to anyone

Good potential

First time playing this course. It was very wet but I expected this in early April. This place has potential, looks like the management is doing lots of work to clean the place, I think it would be nice in June! Greens are great at this time of the year. I hope they will build some kind of clubhouse, right now is not looking too good. One comment I need to make about the bathrooms, the course is wide open, located among residential area. The clubhouse bathroom did not work and two outhouses on the course were so bad that my husband and I could not use it. Because the location Crystal needs to have function facilities.

Wanted to play

Weather was cold and windy but we really wanted to get out. We both agreed that this must be a very nice course later in the season. April 4th was a little soon to judge fairly.

Hidden Gem

Love the course love the people . They are working so hard to bring the course back . This year is the best the course has looked in years and congratulation to the owners and staff . Keep up the good work

Methuen, Massachusetts
Kingston, New Hampshire
Derry, New Hampshire
Bradford, Massachusetts
Boxford, Massachusetts

Valid dates: Mar 06, 2020 - May 06, 2020
Talamore’s Spring Signature Package (2 Nights / 3 Rounds), starting at $325 per person.