A view of fairway #6 at Waverly Woods Golf Course

Waverly Woods Golf Course

Year Built 1998
Architect Arthur Hills (1998)

Golf Simulator Yes

Wonderful Experience at Waverly Woods

Waverly Woods is a beautiful course with plush fairways, well maintained rough, large greens and challenging pin placements. Our foursome thoroughly enjoyed the round and each of us are looking forward to playing here again!

Commented on 07/04/2020

Thank you - we are glad you enjoyed it!

Plays Twice a year

This design is one of the best Arthur Hills I have played but

This was a very interesting Arthur Hills design but a number of factors crossed:
My first round in over yr.
Course was wet and cart path only which was made the course play long. Combine this with the greens just being sanded and aqua hydrated made the greens a matrix of different challenges.
Having said this I like to give it another shot as the layout was a classic Arthur Hills designs. Bring you A game but a fun layout. Cheers,

Compassion

I booked a tee time through golf now for a single at 6:00 a.m. sharp assuming I’d be playing with a threesome. This was the first tee time slot for the day. I Was super excited to bring my son ( who is 7 ) golfing with me for his first round of golf as a ride along. He’s still too young to play. I’ve played golf frequently since courses have reopened due to COVID and all of them have allowed players to ride individually if that was their choice. However upon arrival I was informed by the pro shop gentleman that taking an individual cart for both my son and I to share was not an option and out of the question because of how busy they were. No questions asked. Ok I can understand that maybe I was at fault for not checking updated policies online for this particular course before I arrived. However another more accommodating gentlemen Inside the pro shop must have overheard my conversation and said that he would find a cart for my son and I to use. I’ve played Waverly Woods 30-40 times and this review has nothing to do with the course which I love and play often. The rest of the staff ( other than this particular gentleman at the pro desk ) were super supportive and even let my son and I out early to get ahead of everybody which I was super appreciative of. I guess the worst part is that when we came back in at 8:30 after completing a 2-1/2 hr round, there were 25 unused golf carts sitting in the lot waiting to be used. Remember that they weren’t going to let us out at all initially because of a lack of golf carts. Really upset me. Because of the compassion shown by some of the other staff my son and I were able to create a memory together that we will share for the rest of our lives. Thank you for allowing that to happen.

Commented on 06/17/2020

Your welcome! (Those 25 carts would be needed for the next two hours of play, before the rest of the 18 holers finished.) All the best,

Maryland Advisor

Good Course Conditions...Some Issues

I play Waverly Woods several times a year, but mostly during the week. This was the first time playing this year, and the first time on a Saturday in a long time. For the good news...the course is in excellent condition. Fairways are green and lush, the greens are cut and fast (but not overly fast), and the bunkers had a nice amount of sand. The rough is thick and fully filled in (no bare spots), and pretty penal so take an extra club to get out. Now for the not so good news...slow, slow round, and that was due to the twosome with whom we were paired. At the end of #2, I mentioned we had to pick up the pace (we had already lost the group in front of us and the group behind us waiting in the fairway), and we received four more warnings for slow pace from the cart GPS. No marshals to assist, so it put the burden on us to keep nudging them along, and it really impacts the quality of our round. Additionally, there were bicyclists, walkers, joggers and dog walkers along the cart paths! I didn't think they were allowed, but this happened on several holes, mostly on the front. It's a distraction, not to mention a safety issue. And finally, I was a little taken aback when the round ended up costing $94! Waverly Woods is a nice course, but is not worth almost $100. I won't play again on the weekend--I'll look for more reasonable rates during the week. The skies opened up on #17, so we ended our round early...we could have been done before the rain if not for the twosome with us.

Commented on 06/22/2020

Hi, we are sorry you were not able to enjoy your round more. The pace that day was pretty good, apparently due to your efforts - we are sorry you got paired with a problematic twosome. We don't know when you played, so feel free to contact us at jqhills@waverlywoods.com so we can offer more assistance. Cheers!

Course was nice and the staff was very Friendly

First time our family was there to golf. Its close to our home and the course is really nice. We had a little mix up with our reservation which was our fault and the staff was so nice to figure out away the whole family could play. We will be back

Excellent course

This is a really nice public course. It’’s well manicured and pretty. Pace of play was slow due to the fact the course was booked. About 25 minutes behind pace. But everyone was relaxed about it. The course is taking good Covid-19 precautions. Masks inside. Dividers in carts,, no amenities on course (water, ball washers), no rakes, and pins left in. Bit pricey but I think worth it. Will play there again and would recommend the course.

Commented on 05/31/2020

Thank you!

Good to get out

The greens were very fast and were a little bare. I would have thought they would have been in better shape with not much play being on them. But, overall it was really good to get out and play.

Commented on 05/15/2020

Thanks - the greens are still coming out of the Spring chill just a bit, but should be fully there after this weekend's heat wave. Cheers!

Safe & great pace of play.

Waverly Woods was as beautiful as I have ever seen it. However, I was worried that with all the precautions necessary to play in a safe setting, that the pace would be very slow. Or, the opposite, where nothing would be different, but exposure to COVID19 would put us in danger. Having played in both Virginia & Florida in the past month, in comparison, Waverly has the perfect blend of safety processes & enforcement personnel, for a foursome to have a great but safe experience in 4 hours and 6 minutes. Well done!!!

Solid

Made a trip down from Lancaster Pennsylvania due to all of our courses being closed because of the covid19 pandemic. Conditions were solid for this time of year. Had some fairly unique holes. Greens rolled fast and smooth. Was a tad pricey but I think that’s due to the area it is located in. Can’t say I’d be in a rush to go back but overall it was worth the experience!

Commented on 03/22/2020

Thanks - glad you enjoyed it!

Waverly Woods

The course was in good condition and it's a great layout. Staff was friendly.

Commented on 03/10/2020

Thanks! Glad you had a good time!

Decent Layout - Overshadowed by Overbearing Staff

This was my first time playing Waverly, I heard good things prior to my round on Saturday and was looking forward to the round especially with the good weather in the middle of winter. I was pleasantly surprised the course was in pretty good condition and the greens were rolling well. I enjoyed the layout of the course as well. However...those were the only highlights of my day.

Given the good conditions the course was in, I was surprised to learn that it was CPO. The pace of play we were experiencing given the cart rules was pretty good, although the staff thought otherwise. Multiple times throughout the round we were badgered about our pace of play. I understand that it was a busy day given the good weather, but what do they expect when they have CPO rules all day? Even with it being CPO, we ended our round in 4 hours and 15 minutes. Also if you plan on playing the course this winter...their winter pricing is a bit misleading. You will be paying the projected high for the day, not the temp it is at your tee time.

This course seems like it would be a solid public course option in ideal conditions, but given the badgering I experienced in February, I cant imagine it would get better as the course gets more crowded throughout the year...I will not be back.

Pace of play overrules all

Waverly Woods is in a perfect spot for buddies meeting up between Frederick and Baltimore. Not my first time playing here as it used to be a 10 minute drive from where I used to live in Ellicott City. Have always had great experiences here. Fun holes, a lot of different shot opportunities. But this Saturday was one that will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. We had a 9:50 tee time where the temperature was about 38 when we teed off. Got charged the full 52 (high for the day). Also cart path only, when there hasn't been a drop of rain in several days and no frost that morning. Had a foursome in front of us and a threesome behind us (3 carts for each person in that group). They were never held up by us as we are ready golfers and did the best we could with the cart path only restrictions. Group in front of us was playing very fast, picking up around the greens and running across the fariways to their balls. After 5 holes, we were reamed by the marshall to pick up the pace because the group in front of us was a hole ahead of us. Yet the guys behind us were still teeing off as we finished at the green. At the turn we caught up to the group in front of us, they had just teed off. We went into the clubhouse for some libations since we knew we were back on track. As we were teeing off on 10, the starter came over to tell us we were 50 minutes behind and may have to skip a hole or 2 to catch up. I told him there is no way as the group in front of us was teeing off on 11. To his dismay, he argued back telling us we were holding groups up and are still 15 minutes behind pace. Meanwhile, the group behind us had picked up a 4th, and we never saw them again on the remaining holes on the front 9. This left a terrible taste in my mouth for the remaining 9. The group behind us was never held up once, yet we were told several times we needed to pick it up. We are paying customers, not holding anyone up, yet are getting ripped for not being up the backs of the group in front of us. Overall a bad experience that has left a bad taste in my mouth, will have a hard time coming back here.

Commented on 02/25/2020

The GM reached out to me personally and we have discussed the issue further. Glad my review was able to reach the right people. Pace of play is a very important part of the game of golf, especially when nobody out on the weekend is a professional and needs to be taking 3 practice swings and 5 minutes to line up 10 ft putts. I feel like the staff at Waverly will handle this properly. I look forward to getting back out there and playing this well designed, challenging course.

Commented on 02/24/2020

I'm very sorry we messed up that day - we have new cart gps coming in a few weeks which will help us do better.

Solid track

Always a solid course. There are a couple of bad holes (#11 in particular), but it’s almost in good shape and generally one of the better options in the area. I was concerned about the pace of play, since it was cart path only, but we got around just fine even with a slower group in front of us.

Commented on 06/25/2020

Thanks PennState

Rushed to play a round in 4 hours or less

They expect people to play under two hours 9 hole or they’ll make you skip a hole on the back. Not very understanding staff and lack people skills. They’ll rely solely on the gps on your pace of play. Finished the front nine under 2 hours 15 minutes and was demanded to skip 10th hole. Not worth the money for the headache if you’re going to be rushed to get in and get out to play there. Average golfers play a 4. 1/2 hour round.

Commented on 06/10/2020

Hi - yes those playing between 6 am and 7 am are expected to play in four hours to help round pace for those later in the day. I believe you were the 6:20 group, as we asked you to skip hole ten, as your group played the front nine in two hours 20 minutes and the group ahead of you was two holes ahead. I'm sorry we were not able to handle the situation to your satisfaction. We are doing our best for the enjoyment of everyone on the golf course. Thank you and our apologies for any mistakes on our part.

Ellicott City, Maryland