Type Public/Municipal

Year Built 1938
Architect Donald Ross (1938) Timothy Gerrish

Clubhouse

Great City run course

I have played George Wright many times throughout the years and this year I will honestly say that the course was in the best shape I have ever seen it. It was well worth the extra time and money to play this course.

The staff afterwards was extremely friendly and provided a cold room for us to cool off after a very hot summer day.

Can't wait to play again.

N Y N J Advisor

A good course but an odd layout with lots of steep hills

This is a good course with lots of quirk. About a third of the holes are excellent- visually appealing, strategic, top level golf holes. About a third are decent, nice holes. And the other third are too extreme in their elevations. Some blind shots and elevations in a round are good, but this course takes it to an extreme level. It makes for a difficult walk and too many holes that are just too quirky. It was good to play once but I wouldn't rush back. The greens were terrific. Lots of false fronts and fall-offs like you would expect from Donald Ross. Good slope and undulation. It has a cool, old-time clubhouse. I liked the course but I wish I could have liked more of it.

Best public golf close to Boston

Love this course (even a little bit more than Granite Links) and its proximity to the city. The pace and the greens can get slow, but its a very enjoyable course if you don't want a huge drive to/from golf.

When will they re-rate this course? It's definitely harder than the slope on the card. I'd love to be a member- my handicap would travel well.

Great Value

Great value for municipal course, well-kept but gets very crowded on summer afternoons regardless of weekday or weekend. Can't beat the price. Decent shape for this time of year.

Exceeded Expectation

Amazing, championship caliber course. Really a hidden gem. Several elevation changes, challenging decision making off the tee. Course has old world character. If I lived closer to Boston, I would play there much more frequently as it is difficult to get to just about any time of day with traffic. Clubhouse/restaurant very outdated and the patio seems an awesome space that seems to be wasted.

Best Muni in Boston

Fell in love with this course the first time I played it, even when playing miserably. Takes some time to learn it. Pace of play in the middle of the day on the weekends can get really slow. One thing I would change is staking off some of the heavily overgrown wooded areas as hazards, which would stop people from searching hopelessly for errant tee shots and speed up play.
But it's a great Donald Ross design, in great shape for the amount of play it gets, and a real gem of an urban muni.

Nice For A Municipal

I didn't really understand the obsession with this course. I think when people see the name Donald Ross they tend to overrate courses internally. Simply put, I didn't think it was worth the money that I paid. If I, for some odd reason, was set on playing a municipal course, I would choose Robert T. Lynch for a cheaper price point as I don't see George Wright's layout as *that* much of an improvement. The New England area is rich with a wide variety of courses and if you're willing to leave the Boston area, I think you'll find some nicer courses. That's just me though.

Boston Advisor

Municipal must play!!

I have always played Franklin park and never went out of way to play George Wright but that was a mistake. This course is fantastic!! Old style clubhouse is being remodeled so I'm looking forward to that. Patio on back of club will reopen very soon. The course is old school with super green complexes. Really fits into the fairways Rough is a penalty,put it in the fairway and you can score,miss fairway just lash out and take your medicine. Course plays long but is fair and in super shape. City of Boston has really stepped up and made a Donald Ross design great again.

Will be back for sure

After having lived in Boston for 15 years I finally had a chance to play George Wright and I'm sad that it took me this long.

I got out with my cousin around 3pm on a hot summer day. The course was mostly empty, likely due to the heat, so we got our round in at about 4 hours. The tee boxes were in adequate shape, fairways were a little burnt up from the lack of rain and heat we've had lately, but the greens were in great condition. This old layout playing from the tips was a solid test and left me wanting to come back for more.

The beverage cart made sure we stayed hydrated throughout the round and the beers were pretty cheap so that was nice.

The clubhouse and multiple tee boxes were under construction so I can see this place only getting better. All in all it was a good day.

Best in Metro Boston Area, No Question

I've been playing GW for 3 years now and they continue to improve the course every year. From the long time locals, this apparently used to be a terribly managed and run down course but many tee boxes and fairways have been re-built extremely well. Overall, this course is the best in the Boston area. It isn't very long but the layout, blind greens, and penalty for missing fairways makes it quite difficult from the tips, with a playing advantage favoring a left -> right shot shape. I'm right handed and draw the ball so that makes the course more difficult for me, personally. Greens role very nicely, aren't trashed like other public course, and many of the bunkers have been re-sanded (few exceptions but they are in the works). Highly recommend the course if you are in the area and its not even a question between GW and the other public courses within 45 min of Boston. Only downfall is that on weekends you can expect 5 hour rounds.. Enjoy!

Outstanding

Used to live in the area and played there often but moved out of town 2 years ago and hadn't played since. Went back with a group and the place has changed. New bunkers, tee boxes and conditions. The best municipal course in the state. Will play there more often. Highly recommend.

George Wright Remains Hidden Gem

Hard to believe that a golf course in Boston is a hidden gem, but it is. This Donald Ross design is a fantastic layout with the classic Ross greens. You can't stray off the fairways or you pay a big price. The greens at George Wright are the best I have played all year without question and that includes the likes of the International-Oaks, Red Tail, Whitinsville, Peabody and Shaker Hills. Rounds can be a bit slow but not out of the ordinary for public courses. Course gets 5 stars for greens, layout, value and Donald Ross. You can't lose with a Donald Ross course. Just wish he was still around to design more of these gems.

Great Course, Walkers on Weekend?

Course was in good shape and everyone friendly. However they allowed a foursome to walk this weekend so our round was 5.5 hours.

Unfortunately

Another Ross course that is in poor shape. The staff here were not helpful and allowed people to play up on us the whole long 18 holes. All trash along the course. Municiple course period.

Commented on 04/30/2017

Since the time of this comment, 2013, things have improved greatly at GW. Regarding staff and etiquette, the thing to keep in mind with muni courses is the long time members run the show. For a city course it is currently in great shape and the best public course for miles around.

Dorchester, Massachusetts