Type Private

Year Built 1931
Architect Alister MacKenzie (1931) Perry Maxwell (1931) Arthur Hills (1994)

Carts Yes - $14 - $19

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Michigan (2019 #13) (2018 #13)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 College Courses in the U.S. (2019 #4)

Good Test of Golf

Because of the rain no carts allowed on the course, so we had to walk... Tough walk, but course was beautiful

Not a Flat Lie on the Golf Course

While there are too many parallel fairways for my liking, the U of M Golf Course is a fun one to play. I just hope you have better balance than I do, because any approach shot is going to be struck from an uphill, downhill or sidehill lie. The greens are similar to the fairways, as they have some really large undulations. They were a little slow, and I think they have to keep them that way, or they'd be unplayable for most of us. It's not often you get to play a course designed by two of the game's greatest architects - Perry Maxwell and Allistair McKenzie. The course is available to faculty, students and staff. We gained access through the "Alumni for a Day" program.

Fun even if you don’t play well!

I am fortunate that I have played this course numerous times and my best round ever was here (74 from the tips). Played it again and it did not disappoint. Conditions were all perfect from tee to green. Challenging greens that were fast and the layout tests everything you have. Sadly, I failed that test this most recent round as I fell apart but that’s my fault, not the course. I highly recommend playing this course any chance you get. Go Blue!

Absolutely Beautiful

This is one of the most enjoyable golf courses I've ever played. The architecture is top notch, and the land it is built on is incredibly interesting. Mackenzie used the land perfectly to pair golden age architecture with challenging terrain.

Greens and bunkering are out of this world. Massive greens, severe undulations, and bunkers adding material strategic design nuances to the experience.

I can't recommend playing this course enough. It is technically "private," as it is only available to students, alumni, faculty/staff, and other school affiliates. If you fit one of these categories, or know someone who does, don't delay playing this memorable golf course.

Glorious Layout, Tough Track

Hole by hole, this course is long. Par 3's scaling over 200 yds, blind shots on long par 4's. playing from the tips becomes a really fun challenge. Love this layout, great views of the city.

Ann Arbor's Augusta

First class course with some of the most challenging greens you will find in Michigan. Perfectly maintained tee boxes, fairways and greens up to PGA Tour standard. A fantastic golf experience.

One of the top college courses in the country

Classic Alister MacKenzie at its best, the University of Michigan Golf Course is challenging, beautiful and oh so interesting. In fact, the greens alone are enough to return. Every putt is an adventure, which means you have to find the right parts of the green. Lots of doglegs, too, as well as rough and tall fescue, which you have to avoid at all costs.

A great, historic Mackenzie design

Being an Ann Arbor native, I have fond memories of the Michigan course, which was about five minutes from my house. I'd come here after dinner often to practice my putting, and once in awhile, someone working in the cart barn would grab me and we'd sneak out for a quick nine holes before sunset. I wasn't Michigan affiliated and practically never paid a green fee here. I hope high school kids are still getting the same kind of access here.

I did go to golf camp at Michigan one summer and we'd have matches and events here often. Having played most of my golf on area munis or little $10 courses in metro Detroit, the bunkering and greens absolutely blew me away here. The 3rd hole, while always a menace to me as a kid, is one of my favorite par 5s in the world. The par-4 13th hole was one of the first par 4s I could drive off the tee.

The only things I don't like about the course aren't the courses fault: development has pinched this golf course from all sides, so the holes along two of the four boundaries are right up against busy streets. Also, it's yesteryear yardage of about 6,600 yards means the college kids these days probably shred it alive. If they were able to somehow find an extra 400 yards or so, this course would still stack up with the best college courses in the country.

It's been many years since I've played U of M but I'm excited to back. Heck, if they let me on, I'll even pay the green fee.

Ypsilanti, Michigan