Stow Acres Country Club - North Course

Year Built 1965
Architect Geoffrey Cornish (1965) Bill Robinson (1965)

Beautiful views and greens.

Awesome course all around. I live in Boston and this is worth the drive.

Better than expected

Perfect day. Tee’d off at 11a. Yet, we were waiting at every single shot all the way around. Might have been the 3 some ahead of us ... playing from blue but not even close to up to the task. Still, people here are not interested in ready golf. And no course rangers.

Apart from that, it was a great day. And they also need to calibrate their golf carts ... those are the worst carts - the motor being either full on or it wouldn’t run.

Commented on 10/25/2019

Hello. Thank you for reviewing the course. We are glad you had the perfect day! We apologize for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and to best control pace allowing everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. Thank you for playing Stow North at Stow Acres Country Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Super course, great walk, but maybe better pairing

The course was in really good shape, and clear of leaves and debris that are common in autumn. Staff were great, friendly -- on time. We played the South course and liked the layout.
My friend and I walked and were paired with 2 others who were in a cart. They were wonderful companions, but we felt a bit pressured to keep up, even though they were patient and not in any way hurrying us. Perhaps pairing walkers with walkers is better.
I'd read reviews that the course wasn't in good condition and almost didn't play here. Glad we did. The course was beautiful and well maintained. We'll play here again! Great combo of short and long. Thanks for a great day.

A really great course

Played this course a few times in 2018. This course is a real gem in the Massachusetts golf world. Easily accessible from Boston - approx 45min drive. Beautiful surroundings leading up to the course and at the course itself.

This historic course is worth every penny. The staff is friendly, the booking is easy, and they’re amenable to being flexible to get your game going as on time as possible. Even early if available.
The greens are in good shape and the fairways are very well curated and maintained. Course layout is fairly straight ahead and there’s a Marshall keeping things flowing.
The price of a round is reasonable and after playing most of the courses in the area I have to say that this is one of the best. Challenging but not going to break you.

Never Again

How many reviews have been written about how great this course was 25 years ago, and how far it has gone down. Well, here's another one. People I play with can't believe that Stow Acres was once one of the best public courses in the Boston area. Now it's one of the worst. Played the North Course yesterday. The layout itself remains solid. But the conditions were bad...fairways patchy, tee boxes in terrible shape, many bunkers had no sand. Unclear when the greens were mowed as they ran as fast as the fairways at Red Tail/Pine Hills. But the worst part was the management. There was an outing on the South Course yesterday. So what does management do? They jam as many people as possible onto the North Course. And to make it worse, they let out multiple 2somes through the day, making it play even longer. We waited EVERY SINGLE HOLE, sometimes 2 groups on the tee. 5:15 hour round. And never saw a ranger the entire time. I get it...the season is almost over and let's maximize revenues. Just let anyone who shows up onto the course vs. turning away dollars. Why not tell people who don't have tee times that the course is full? You're already making money running a charity tournament on the South Course (which, btw, why in the world close down the course on a Sunday??). They had the nerve to tell me they were running 9 minute intervals between groups. That's a lie. What idiots. I tell myself every year to not return. This time I won't. Just for letting a bunch of people onto the North Course yesterday, you've lost 4 of us forever. Nice job.

Commented on 08/29/2019

Thank you for reviewing the course. We apologize for the conditions and delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. With an uncharacteristically full day, we work hard to accommodate everyone who visits our course and allow our guest the chance to complete their rounds. With that in mind, we are working to best control pace and allow everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We will continue to look for ways to improve. We are glad to see you rated the course conditions and layout to be great during your game. Thank you for playing Stow North at Stow Acres Country Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Never Again

Commented on 08/29/2019

To management at Stow. Your canned response says absolutely nothing. You've given the same response to almost every criticism below. I could have criticized the ball washers and you would have said the same thing. To regain credibility, you need to be more specific on addressing these issues, and exactly what you are doing to fix it. When will conditions improve and how? How will you address pace of play?

Commented on 08/28/2019

Hi, let us first start by thanking you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is extremely important to us. Please be assured that we are working to get everything up to par as the current condition and is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. We would also like to apologize for the pace of play issue you experienced. We always try to keep a great pace when having our golfers on the course. Please know that we will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Stow North at Stow Acres Country Club.We hope you give us another try in the near future!

Former Gem has lost its luster.

I have golfed @ Stow Acres since 1995 and ran a weekly golf league on the North Course for 8 years in the early 2000’s. I loved golfing @ Stow. I remember when the North was a local qualifying course for the Deutschebank Championship prior to the FedEx Cup.

The conditions have steadily declined over the years and by the time the warm weather hits in July, certain of the tee boxes dry out, certain fairways lose major patches of grass and some greens look like they have been sprayed with Roundup.

Prior to the new ownership, the Club struggled due to an aging irrigation system that required a major upgrade. Although the fairways have improved from the dry as a bone conditions during the last two years under prior ownership, certain tee boxes have never been in a worse condition than today (8/24/19) and the fifth green is in an embarrassment to the Club.

I played Stow North many Fridays and every Saturday morning last summer until the 3rd week in July when several greens fell into disrepair. We then moved our group next door to Butternut Farm and enjoyed the rest of the season.

After the Stow experience today, our entire group was extremely disappointed by the poor condition of the course and not willing to return, particularly @ the weekend rate of $75. I will always have fond memories of Stow North, but although I played well today, I will need to block out the memory of this former beauty that has not aged well. When you just don’t care about the local reputation of your course, it shows and long time patrons go elsewhere.

Commented on 08/28/2019

Hi, thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is extremely important to us. We are currently working to get everything up to par as the current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game and will continue to work towards an excellent experience by using your comment for guidance. Thank you for playing Stow North at Stow Acres Country Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Greens as long as fairways

Played the North side today. Love the layout here. Been plying 25 years in this area, 30+ rounds per, with a low 8 HDCP. I have never, and I do mean never, seen greens this long. Literal fairway length and slower than shag carpet. My brother and I played and it was all he could to from stopping me going in after and demanding 2 vouchers to return when it was back to somewhat passable condition. Such a waste of a nice day on a course I like. Greens were just awful

Commented on 08/21/2019

Hello, Steve. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We strive for a 5-star experience, so we welcome your feedback. We work hard to maintain the course for everyone's benefit and we are currently working to get everything up to par. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. Please come back soon for the 5-star experience you expect at Stow North at Stow Acres Country Club.

Great layout and value

Solid track off the beaten path. Very fun and challenging layout, but still playable for the average golfer. I’ll definitely be going back again.

Continues to get worse

I’ve played here once a year for the last 6 years. Unfortunately it seems to only get worse. I’m mainly concerned with the course conditions, the clubhouse and staff are still nice but for the price the golf course looks to be in rough shape. Multiple fairways had large swaths of dead areas. Tee boxes that were full of sand and not mowed. I’ve played plenty of golf this summer and other courses look amazing due to all the rain we’ve had, but this course looked uncared for. Not sure if it will be worth coming back next year.

Commented on 07/30/2019

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. Your feedback about the course is important to us. We are working to get everything up to par. We have projects ongoing to recovery the fairways and tee boxes. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We are going to escalate your feedback to our team so we can make improvements before your next game. Thank you for playing Stow North at Stow Acres Country Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Questionable

Nice price but conditions are poor. Tee boxes are beat up, fairways are ok, greens are are large and bumpy. No one repairs ball marks.
Overall just ok.

Commented on 07/31/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes to the tee boxes and greens. Thanks for visiting us!

Not at all unplayable but some greens are not great. A few bunkers just rocks very little sand. Worth it if there’s a deal, not yet at full price

Commented on 07/30/2019

Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting us!

Hudson, Massachusetts
Maynard, Massachusetts
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Berlin, Massachusetts
Bolton, Massachusetts
Bolton, Massachusetts
Concord, Massachusetts

Valid dates: Apr 04, 2020 - Sep 30, 2020
Here at Coachman's Golf Resort we pride ourselves on the high quality of magnificent golf, superb amenities and outstanding service that we offer our valued customers.