The Highlands

This golf course is closed for business. Not true? Let us know.
Looking for other options nearby?

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Practice bunker: No
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No
Golf school / academy: Yes - "Highlands Golf Academy"

Dress code: Shorts shall be no shorter than mid-thigh - no cutoffs, "short shorts," running or athletic shorts, or swim trunks. Denim jeans and athletic or sweat pants are NOT permitted.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Gold 75 5454 yards N/A N/A
Pink 75 5249 yards N/A N/A

Location is convenient to the city   Great for locals junior golfers   Challenges include bunkers narrow fairways   Great for drinks watching the game

"Course is unplayable"

Rich4276135's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2016

Im from Chicago and went up to Michigan to golf with my uncle. We set up a tee time for The Highlands cause my uncle said 4-5 years ago he went to an outing at this course and loved it. Upon arriving to the course the pro shop was completely empty. Everything in the pro shop was for sale. Benches,displays, stands absolutely everything had a price tag on for sale. The staff member there told us we can tee off ( on the tee box )from wherever we wanted to. Later upon arriving to the first tee we realized why he made that statement. There were no tee markers on any of the boxes and the grass on the tee boxes was longer than some rough I've seen on other courses. After teeing off we get to what we are thinking is the fairway to find there is no fairway. It was just thick grass all across the course. No signs of a fairway being cut here. Just terrible. We get to the green the bunkers were abandened. The bunkers had patches of grass growing in them and the grass around the bunkers was growing so long it was hanging over the bunker lip. The greens were patchy and like cement. This was the first time I've experienced such bad maintenance on a golf course. We didnt even get to the 2 tee box before we turned back to the clubhouse to complain and get our money back. After having a discussion and slight disagreement with the only staff member on the course he finally admitted that he was selling the course and didn't care. And then told us for the price we paid (under $20 per player) we shouldn't be complaining about the conditions. I honestly wouldn't care if the course was free I still would have left because I so disgusted with the course and the staff. Needless to say we got our money back and left. I've played close to 100 rounds of golf this year on probably 30-40 different courses and this was the first time I actually didn't want to golf That day due to the absolutely disappointing experience at this course. SO I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT NO ONE ABSOLUTELY NO ONE GOES HERE AND GOLFS. save your money and time and book your round at another course in the area. Michigan has plenty of beautiful golf courses this one is definitely not one of them. After I left I called GolfNow immediately and explained to them my issues and concerns and they refunded me my fees that were paid thru them for booking the course.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Highlands Tee Times on 01/10/2017:

Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for your poor experience. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve and will address it at the course. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"Sold"

uOXOX5999OX's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2016

The course has been sold. Reflecting that fact, owner Steve is reducing maintenance to mowing the greens and, presumably, mowing the fairways occasionally. I have enjoyed the course and friendly, helpful staff and am sorry the course has been sold.

Commented on 10/10/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you have enjoyed our friendly and helpful staff. Thanks for coming out!

"Terrible condition"

James5138738's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2016

Put a white line around this course. The whole place is ground under repair. The grass on the tee boxes was 2-3 inches long. Worse conditions I've ever played under. It is quite obvious that this place is closing.

Commented on 09/26/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to improve course conditions and take your comments very seriously. Look forward to having you back soon and making up for this experience.

"This course is suffering from severe lack of maintainance."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2016

It is obvious that the owners are not willing to invest anything in maintenance. Fairways, greens, signs, cart paths, parking lot, all of it needs work. The cart GPS system worked well and was a nice unexpected amenity.

"Course is in such bad shape we walked off after 9"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2016

Upkeep is nonexistent - the parts of the green that aren't dried up and cracked are overgrown to fairway length. Plugged pin placements are dried and shriveled - not watered. Parts of the fairway are longer than the rough and the rough... I have never lost balls in the fairway before today due to grass length. No matter how good the price, don't buy it. This course appears to be closing with the conditions we found today.

Commented on 09/19/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We assure you this is not the standard we strive to achieve. We are constantly working on course conditions and hopefully we can have you back to make up for this poor experience.

"poor"

pail3201095's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2016

very poor experience way overbooked, way under maintained

Commented on 09/19/2016

"Dying Donald Ross design..."

MGoBlue100's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2016

Great old track, designed by Donald Ross. Hosted numerous Senior PGA Tour events, and was the Elks Club of GR's home course. The course apparently has been sold to developers, and housing appears to be its fate. Course conditions were poor, as it looks like not much $$ is being spent on maintenance. Shot values are still there, however. She's a great old girl. Play there while you still can.

Commented on 08/05/2016

Thank you MGoBlue100 for the review. We are so happy you had an enjoyable experience on the course and we hope you will continue to golf with us throughout the season. Come back and see us again very soon!

"Course is done"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2016

They are selling and putting no money into the course. Greens are awful, fairways are brutal and the pace of play is horrid

Commented on 08/05/2016

Thank you for the review. We are currently working on course conditions and hope to have the course back up to par very soon. Please come back and see us again very soon!

"Falling apart."

biggeejack's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

What was once a gem, is now a rock. Sadly, this place probably will not be around to long. Greens are in sad shape, as are the fairways, thistle weeds are out of control. Carts paths are crumbling asphalt. Sand traps are dirt, weeds everywhere. Entryway to the clubhouse needs landscape face lift, as does the parking lot. Sorry to hear leagues are leaving, doesn't surprise me though.

Nice people, good carts with GPS , the only positive things I can say.

Commented on 08/01/2016

Thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry that our course conditions did not match what they once were in your opinion. We would like to speak further about what you saw. Please send us an email to highlandsgrand@gmail.com and hopefully we can convince you to give us another chance.

"Run down"

mkv69801's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

They have spent zero money on this course. No water and greens full of weeds. We payed 20.00 and that was to much.

Commented on 08/01/2016

We are so sorry you feel this way about our course. Please send us an email to highlandsgrand@gmail.com regarding what you saw on our course in more detail. Thank you!

"Good time"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The course was a little rough in spots. It used to be in better shape but it's still a lot of fun to play. The weather was great and I didn't have to wait thru the whole round.

Commented on 07/22/2016

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you had fun and will take your feedback into consideration. We are constantly looking for ways we can improve our course, so your words are very helpful. Hope to see you again soon!

"Played here last week, and I'll never be back."

Gmgolfam's avatar
Age:  Under 25

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2016

The course was extremely dried out to almost drought conditions. Management should spend money turning the sprinklers on instead of on gps systems on the carts. It was inexpensive but not at all worth the headache of playing through hard packed dirt on the fairways. Also beware of the old cranky regulars that like to play ahead of their tee time and then complain when politely asked to allow an earlier tee time to tee off.

Commented on 07/22/2016

Thank you for your feedback. Please send us an email at highlandsgrand@gmail.com so we can further discuss your situation and make things right with you. We apologize that your experience with us was not up to our usual standard.

"Hard course"

Claynewman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2016

Challenging fairly long course. Not in the best shape, sucks cause it could easily be the best course in Grand Rapids. Either way course presents a good challenge and can't beat it for the money.

Commented on 06/29/2016

Thanks for the review! We will take your feedback into consideration as we are constantly working to make a better course for our golfers! Hope to see you soon.

"Always enjoyable round at The Highlands"

theburyman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Group made it out for a late 9 hole round and while I knew they had leagues going on the pace of play on the opposite 9 was awesome. I played pretty good and I feel like I've played here about 4 times now and am starting to know a few tricks about where the trees overhang in the fairway but I wish I could hit it where I want it.

We had lunch and burger was great, beers were cold and weather was perfect. Course was in better shape than I've heard in previous years but not yet pristine. Some patches on the green and in the fairways you could tell were still being tended to to rebound but it was very playable. I never had course conditions get in the way of making a golf shot.

If I had to add 1 item on the wish list the cart path was rough in a few areas so you can tell the grass in those areas is taking an extra beating. I'm sure it's on the staff's list as well. Go out and play, would be a very enjoyable walk which would eliminate your cart path issue all together.

Commented on 06/20/2016

Thanks for your review, Dan! We will take your feedback regarding the cart path into consideration. Glad to hear you had an enjoyable round with us!

"HORRIBLE"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

TOOK 3 HOURS FOR 9 HOLES. DONT GO ON A THURSDAY BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON THEY BELIEVE ITS OKAY TO HAVE 5 LEAGUES ON ONE NIGHT AND STILL ALLOW INDIVIDUAL TEE TIMES

Commented on 06/20/2016

Matthew,

We are so sorry that you were put in this situation! Usually this is not the way we book tee times. We would like to make this right with you. Please email us at highlandsgrand@gmail.com to further discuss your situation. Thank you, and again, we apologize.

"Used to be great!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2016

I'm a fan of Donald Ross courses in general. The first time i played the course it was private and in phenominal condition from top to bottom. The course had hosted several PGA Tour events and was fun to attend. It has drastically deteriorated over the last several years. Not well maintained by any stretch of the imagination. It's sad to see perfection turned to unkept and weeds taking over. Even the old hole markers have been downgraded to the cheaply done. All i can do these days when i play is shake my head and think Donald Ross would be disappointed with the place. The underlying former great course is still there but needs some SERIOUS attention to detail. I would start with the greens and get them back to nice shape and work my way back from there. With a good location there is no doubt it will get plenty of play. But gone are the days i first remember of a nice Elks Lodge golf course and social hangout.

Commented on 05/20/2016

Thank you so much for your review and feedback. With your help and suggestions we can make additional updates to the course and we truly appreciate your comments. Please let us know if you ever need anything and come back and soon!

"Good Experience"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2016

Good Course. I would recommend.

Commented on 05/10/2016

Thank you for your review and feedback of The Highlands Golf Course. Please come back and see us again soon!

"Golf in December?"

u720141814's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/06/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

It was great to be able to golf 2 days in a row in Michigan in December. The Highlands made that even better.

Commented on 12/08/2015

We are happy the weather has been holding on for us! Thanks for choosing to golf at the Highlands

"Got a great rate at Golfnow.com"

biggeejack's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2015

Nice course, nice people, but don't kid yourself, nothing like it used to be.<br/> Still nice to play. Nice tribute to my former golf mate Bill Hieble..Davenport College '66-67.

Commented on 11/17/2015

biggeejack, Thanks for reaching out and leaving us your feedback. We appreciate your business and welcome you back in the future!

"Horrible conditions ."

Tim2118741's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2015

Horrible condition .Drove 1 1/2 hrs to play this course. Never again. The superintendent should be ashamed. Don't think they have run the sprinkler system all year. Rock hard and tore up. Don't waste your time. There are far better courses for the money in the Grand Rapids area.

Extremely Disappointed .