Scorecard for Timber Wolf Golf Course Inc
Blue M: 72.3/134 435 286 195 370 460 486 318 212 329 3091 432 227 373 520 386 373 242 296 537 3386 6477
White M: 67.5/119 W: 68.0/113 397 222 175 316 388 403 281 173 296 2651 348 161 319 472 320 352 218 230 477 2897 5548
Red W: 68.4/123 360 169 146 272 369 328 249 133 258 2284 271 138 288 422 296 331 198 183 451 2578 4862

Year Built 1997
Fairways Bluegrass
Greens Bent grass
Architect Bruce Matthews III (1997)

Michigan Advisor

Great value and scenery

Timber Wolf is one of the best values in the area. It is a nice course with some elevation changes and tough greens. Sometimes conditions can be a touch on the rough side, but you won't find a better course for your money only 30 minutes from Traverse City.

Excellent Golf Course for Beginners as well as Seasoned golfers

Excellent Golf Course, I play twice a week in the morning. Things have changed drastically since Gordy has Been THe Owner, It Used To Be A Pasture, Now It Is One Of The Most Manicured courses In The area. Friendly Staff And Very Respectful When You Hit your Ball. I Became A member THis Summer And HAve Always Felt WElcomed. The FRont nine Is A Challenge, But THE back nine Will Give Anyone A Run For Their Money, No Matter WHat Skill LEvel You ARE. Sorry ABout My Typing, Have NOT Learned this skill Yet... Shot my best GAme Today, but still have a little room for improvement, but then don't we all..lol

MEDIOCRE at best

18 hole layout spread over 120 acres. Decent fairways and pretty nice greens gets my 3 star review. Tree-lined fairways keep the holes separated. Only problem is the trees are very bushy and cluttered, with no chance of recovering once you enter those areas. Major TURN-OFF.

The price is a bit steep ($25/9 holes) but given it was a sunday I guess its understandable. We were the only ones on the course around 10am which was a surprise, so pace of play was perfect. Short layout from white tees, play blues for more Driver friendly golf. Decent course, but if you want a bit nicer for the money, go play Grandview just 5 miles away.

The course isn't groomed very well

Four of us played this course and it was the worse course that we ever played. The grass was so long that you couldn't find your ball. As I was leaving I ran into the owner or a worker and he told me that because of the rain they couldn't cut the grass. It rained one day,Sept 8 ,2015 and grass doesn't grow that fast. I doubt that I would golf if they were all like this course.

Fun course with super greens.

On this trip, I played Forrest Dunes, Black Lake, Garland Monarch and Reflections, Thunder Bay and Timber Wolf. The greens at Timber Wolf were the best. Timber Wolf had many interesting holes and great views. Fairways and tee boxes are OK. No, it is not Forrest Dunes, but, it was a blast to play and for the price, you can't beat it. Can't wait to stop and play it again on my next trip "up North".

GREAT SHAPE

This course I played with a few buddies from out of town. My friends were so extremely impressed with the super condition of the course and especially the greens. Greens had true roll and in wonderful shape. The staff here was the friendliest I have ever seen at a course!! I would recommend this course to anyone that lives or visits the area

Interesting and Friendly

I am making it a sort of hobby to play one or two new courses most weeks, and this one is a very pleasant surprise. Given the course slope and the Timber Wolf identifier, I expected this to be a real snarling beast, but I was in no mood to be intimidated. Despite my expectations, it turned out that it was actually a very pleasant experience. Nice course and good course conditions, overall. Greens were very well maintained, and course was laid out to be challenging, but not merely technical. Course design echoed the staff and owners, who were both warm and knowledgeable. Pace of play could have been a problem, but every course gets its newbies, of course, and it was easy enough to manage the occasional slow group. Loved this course.

nice course, fun, hills, fast true greens, well kept

For the money nicer than most courses costing much more. Not in same class as Tree Tops or Tribute but nicer than any courses I played within 40 miles for the price.

LETHAL30LEFTY
Commented On 06/04/2017

Must be you haven't played Grandview, much nicer than Timber wolf

Course is always in great shape from the tee boxes to the greens.

I have a second residence just East of Kalkaska. There are numerous courses to choose from in the area, but Timber Wolf is by far my favorite course. Every hole brings a unique challenge to your game. Owner and his staff go out of their way to make you feel important.Very senic and well maintained 18 hole golf course that I would recommed you play..

Beautiful, challenging, fun course!!

Really enjoyed playing TimberWolf!! It is one of the few courses that my husband (who is a much better golfer than I) and I can play together and feel challenged and enjoy at the same time! I personally LOVED the distance and challenge of the Par3's from the ladies tees and this beautiful course was in great condition. I wish we lived closer so we could play it more often, but will definitely return when we are in the area again!!

I recently played Timber Wolf on a Saturday evening and Sunday morning...both rounds were extremely enjoyable. From tee box to fairway to greens everything maintenance wise seemed to be in great condition. Hit it straight off the tee box is crucial, and a few of the par 3's are a great challenge for a golfer of any caliber. Great bang for the buck here!

An average public course.

The "super hot deal" we got on Golf Now was the posted rates at the course - so no deal at all. The course had lovely views and some difficult holes, but most were just straight down the fairway. I don't know how many women can hit a nearly 200 yard tee shot, but thought the long par 3's were unfair.

TimberWolfStaff
Commented On 07/24/2013

Thanks for your review laidlerm12. Our layout was not blessed with many dogleg holes but we believe the course makes up for that with the lovely views that you mentioned and our rolling terrain. We are reviewing the placement of the ladies tees on any forced carries that are more than 150 yards. Thank you for your helpful review.

Kalkaska, Michigan
Kalkaska, Michigan
Grayling, Michigan

Valid dates: May 23, 2019 - Jun 30, 2019
2 Nights lodging at the Best Western Plus of Santee (or comparable lodging partner) and play 3 Rounds of golf on Santee Cooper Resort’s two courses.
Stay and Play
Stay & Play in Golf’s Little Big Town!
Stay and Play
Summer Golf Getaway in Santee!
Stay and Play
Come play in the Olde English District!
Summer Special in Greenville, SC