The Cedar River at Shanty Creek

Cedar River Golf Course at Shanty Creek Resorts
Silver 72 5397 yards 66.0 116
Scorecard for Cedar River
Black M: 73.6/144 458 396 581 190 442 357 425 202 559 3610 532 206 465 297 163 518 401 193 604 3379 6989
Blue M: 71.2/136 427 372 553 170 418 341 383 176 537 3377 510 183 421 285 144 490 375 162 581 3151 6528
White M: 69.3/126 388 350 508 148 390 317 325 149 495 3070 474 151 391 272 144 455 343 145 518 2893 5963
Red W: 70.5/128 333 330 435 121 346 269 316 122 439 2711 437 124 352 260 131 391 304 114 491 2604 5315

Year Built 1999
Architect Tom Weiskopf (1999)

The Best at Shanty Creek

In my opinion, best course at Shanty Creek. Course conditions were perfect. Playable but challenging. My only complaint is hole #18. If you play take the time to drive up and look at the landing area. Otherwise you'll hit what you think is a perfect drive and end up messing up a nice round.

Well kept and open

Overall a great round with a few exceptional holes. One par three on the back nine offers a real challenge for the first tuner. Fairways are generous for the most part. A “must play’ for the area. You decide after playing them all...

Cedar river

Started out fine but the 3 some in front of us caused a lot of frustration. They had no idea about golf etiquette. Guy parked his cart on one side of fairway, walk across fairway to hit his ball and then walked back to his cart. I forgot to mention he walked like a walk in the park. We were a 2 some, you think they would ask us if we wanted to play ahead-no. This happens so I guess you have to let it go. Btw-I think the ranger was a friend of theirs. He talked to them 2-3 times for about 6 mins which means more waiting! We like the course so we will play there again. I have seen the course in better condition than today, but they have been short of rain.

On our top five list

Course in excellent condition and the greens were outstanding; i.e., among the best we have ever played: fast but not overly, and very true. Although we played as a twosome in less than four hours, we were behind a fivesome that bogged down toward the end. Nonetheless, it was a most enjoyable golfing experience and we shall return.

Great layout, ignore the staff

If it weren’t for the ranger giving us a “pace of play” lecture before our round, this would be a 10/10 course.

Nobody on the course on a beautiful Friday morning and the starter felt the need to lecture us on keeping each hole to ~15 minutes.

Before we even teed off:
“I’m sure you don’t care how long it takes you to play your round, but the people behind you do”

WONDERFUL layout, fast greens that roll true, and receptive to long irons. Scoreable course, pretty wide fairways. Nice par 3s!

Get rid of the starter and this would’ve been a 10/10!!

Enjoyable round

Very challenging but fair golf course. Not for a beginner. fairways and greens were in great shape. I want to play it again before we go back home to ohio.

Illinois Advisor

Outstanding

I do not honor many courses with 5 stars. Cedar is in immaculate shape. Refer to my 6/10/17 review. Not only did I play Cedar River this day I also enjoyed another wonderful round with different pins on 6/9/18 with the same consistent notes. One of my very favorite courses to play it never gets old...fortunate that I've probably played over 30 plus rounds here. An outstanding fun playable design by Weiskopf with proper challenges. A few of "stupid holes" (5, 13 & 18) that you have to play a few times to understand them but from start to finish a truly enjoyable track. Highly Highly recommended.

Beautiful course

Virtually no one playing course but us. Great conditions, beautiful greens, perfect tees staff very friendly. Probably one of the golf gems in upper Michigan. We have played this course numerous times and have never been disappointed . Fantastic course layout with interesting holes. Woods, heather, water you name it they have it. Cedar River hole is fun to play!

Great Golf Course

I’ve played most of the nicer public courses in Michigan...this one ranks right up there with any of them. Extremely playable, scenic, and in great condition.

Great course!

Played on a hot Saturday afternoon and never waited on a hole. Course was in great shape. Only negative would be to have balls supplied on driving range. $7 for a bucket when you have paid for a round of golf isn't necessary

Terrific Course

Doesn't Play as long as yardage because of mostly elevated tees. Absolutely a beauty !!

Lots of fun!

We played this course in a constant rain and had a great time! It had been raining for 24 hours before we played but course drained very well, we were able to drive carts everywhere, and geeens were excellent! Great Weiakopf layout and incredible views and topography! Play this course!

Cedar River Bellaire Michigan

One of the most beautiful courses I have ever played! If you want a spectacular course to play in Northwestern Michigan this summer or fall choose this course you will not be disappointed.

Do not play on a Saturday

Like they say in the movies, rack them and stack them.
5 1/2 hour round of golf is far too long. Simply you cannot get into any golfing rhythm and too top it off the marshall come along and asks to play faster.
How can you when you too groups waiting at a tee off box waiting to play, that was an insult to injury.
This was just shameful as the course is tour quality with great elevation changes with greens to match
I will play this course again but not on a week end.

A must play

Outstanding in all respects: course layout; tees, fairways and greens; variations in elevation; difficulty level; pace of play; you name it.... Eager to replay and we will soon.

Illinois Advisor

#25 you can play in Michigan (Golf Digest)

Cedar River is one of my all time favorite courses. I'd play it every day if I was forced to. Sporty in areas and always challenging yet forgiving. An outstanding back nine routing with 3 3's, 3 4's and 3 5's. Except for the quirky short par 4 13th which you have to play 5 times or more to understand it. The 12th hole is one of my favorite par 4's to play and the par 3 14th downhill towards the Cedar River is always an adventure. Great facilities and in wonderful condition. 4.75 stars.....my only downgrade is the range which goes straight up hill so you don't get a good read on distance/flight paths when warming up. Well deserving of its place in the top 25 you can play in MI. A very good value if you play twilight or get a hotdeal.....and friendly folks. Several other courses nearby part of Shanty Creek - Legend, Schuss and Summit. Hawk's Eye and The Chief also nearby so you have 6 courses minutes from each other as well with the town of Bellaire down the hill where Short's Beer is located. All 6 are worth a play. Cheers!

photo.jpg
HOTSPOTTS
Commented On 2017-06-14T23:00:54.000+00:00

Brandon - thanks for your kind words. I travel to Northern Michigan at least once a season to play mainly at the Shanty Creek area courses and venture out to other courses from there from time to time. This year included an adventure to experience Marquette GC in the UP. I don't use twitter much but my handle is John Spotts@spottersgolf. Next on my list is figuring out a way to get on Culver Golf Course (Culver Academy in Indiana) which is a newly restored 100pct Langford/Moreau nine holer.....I'm a huge fan of their designs. Do you have any connects? Cheers sir and an honor to be contributor to the cause.

d184b637-9e39-516d-b298-c2dcbdea3c79
BrandonTuckerGA
Commented On 2017-06-14T20:25:52.000+00:00

Were you just on a northern Mich golf trip? Thanks for all the reviews. Let me know if you have a Twitter or IG handle.

Wonderful Greens!

We had heavy mist in the morning for about 8 holes. The course was well maintained and the greens were impeccable! Couldn't hardly find a ball mark on them and they rolled beautifully and true even wet. They were pretty fast for a moist day. A real treat. They are going to close the course on the following Sunday and it was still in such wonderful shape! There were only 2 twosomes on the course that day. It was great. They only had the proshop open, no drinks or food available since closing in 5 days.

Kewadin, Michigan
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Kalkaska, Michigan
East Jordan, Michigan

Valid dates: Apr 13, 2019 - Apr 16, 2019
The Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun Stay & Play includes a three night stay at Harrah’s Ak-Chin, two rounds of golf at Ak-Chin Southern Dunes, and the ideal location to catch all of the long drive action during the Ak-Chin Smash in the Sun!