Idyl Wyld Municipal Golf Course

3.5191176471 3.5 stars from 5 (45)

• 35780 5 Mile Rd, Livonia, Michigan 48154, Wayne County
  • www.golflivonia.com/idylwyld

Year built: 1925
Type: Public
Golf Season: April 1 - November 15

Driving range: No
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: MasterCard Visa card(s) Welcomed

Silver 70 5022 yards 69.7 112

Location is convenient to the city   Great for locals beginners 9-hole rounds   Challenges include bunkers water hazards

"Nice city course"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2018

Course is in great shape, greens are harder and faster than ever!

Response from Idyl Wyld Municipal Golf Course on 06/14/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to review your experience with us, we truly appreciate your feedback and will certainly pass it along to our team. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the 5-star experience that you deserve.

"Good course for the money"

nikki62492's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2018

I've golfed here for years. The staff is very friendly and is a good value. Course has really improved in the last few years, but would still say it's about average. Beer cart is hit or miss and not much offered in the club house, but a fun average course to play none the less. And you can go into the bar in front of the course if you need water,hot dogs, ect if there's no beer cart running,

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2018

"Course getting progressively worse/Extremely slow pace of play"

suseshar's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2018
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Can't believe that this is a city course that's in Livonia. Compared to the other 2 city courses (Fox Creek and Whispering Willows), this course is a shag. The fairways are not the greatest for prime time of the year.

As for the pace of play, it took 6 hours to play 18 holes, waiting at practically every hole. The concept of letting faster players play ahead is non existent and there's no ranger to speed up the pace of play.

Response from Idyl Wyld Municipal Golf Course on 06/01/2018:

Hello, on behalf of Idyl Wyld Municipal Golf Course staff we appreciate you taking the time to address your concerns as we are always looking to improve. We are disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the conditions of the course but still hope you enjoyed your round. Again, we appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

"Nice little course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2018

I decided to try this course out on a Hot Deal. While I'm usually a solo golfer, I want to make it known here that they do group you up with other Hot Deal buyers (in my case a twosome). The two guys in my group were great, but I want to caution anyone evaluating a Hot Deal to expect to be grouped up.

Pace of Play: I golfed on a Tuesday morning/afternoon and it was PACKED. I think a league was finishing up or something along those lines. As other reviews have indicated there was some slow paced play. I didn't experience the severe wait times that other reviews have alluded to, just waiting for a log jam of groups to get moving. Once we got done with the first par 3 (Hole #3) it opened up and we hardly waited at all for the rest of the front. Once we made the turn, we had no one in front of us and no one behind us. Also something I didn't really see mentioned (and I'm not sure if it's like this all season): Carts are path only. When you have a bunch of retirees who have to walk all the way across the fairway to play their shot, you're going to experience more wait times. I also want to point out that during my round I crossed paths with a ranger no less than 4 times. When on the front they were extremely apologetic for the slow play we were experiencing and assured us they were doing what they could. In the end, I feel like the course staff did what they could to keep things moving.

Course Condition: Because it's cart path only for carts, you don't have too many areas that are torn up from driving. Bunkers are kept up fine, grass it trimmed well for the rough, fairways and greens. I'd say there were probably less unfilled divots on this course than you'd find at courses of the same price point. My big gripe was with the tee boxes. I have no idea how big chunks of earth are missing out of some of these boxes, but I had move my ball and reset a couple times to be level.

Course Layout: I think to compare to similarly priced courses, this one has an above average level of difficulty. You have your holes where you just kill the ball and get it to the green, but there also a few holes where you need to think because of the small creeks that crisscross some of the holes. Hitting a monster drive will put you in the water on a couple. This has more elevation changes than what I'm used to seeing at this kind of course, too.

To sum it up, it's a well maintained municipal course, but the first few holes really seem to set it up for a log jam. The round may take longer if it's "cart path only." It's more challenging than more courses of a similar price, and you'll likely be groups up if you're less than 4 people. Overall if you're looking to change things up it's worth a try!

"Idyl Wyld needs to improve pace of play"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2018

Took close to three hours to complete front 9, waiting on every shot. Had to skip the back nine. Maybe educating players when signing in about ready golf would help. Will not be playing there anytime soon.

Response from Idyl Wyld Municipal Golf Course on 04/27/2018:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review us, Idyl Wyld Municipal Golf Course, in the Michigan area. We're very sorry to hear you may not have had the best recent customer experience with us due to the pace of play, and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We also appreciate your dedication to playing our course over the years and hope we can continue to provide you with a valuable golf experience. Thank you for golfing with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2017

Response from Idyl Wyld on 10/31/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Idyl Wyld in the Detroit area, and for the 3 stars. We're sorry to see the course conditions may not have been in the best shape on your day of play and we appreciate your feedback. It looks like you received a good value for your round, so we hope this improved your overall experience with us. Thank you for choosing our course, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

"Great fall round"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/27/2017
Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Great round to play in late October. Course in good shape for this late in the year and a lot of the leaves had been cleared from the course.

fbaird58's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2017

Response from Idyl Wyld on 10/06/2017:

Hi, thanks for taking the time to review our course, Idyl Wydl Golf Course, and for the 3-stars. We are very happy to hear that you had a great round with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Diddlysquat's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2017

Response from Idyl Wyld Golf Course on 09/05/2017:

Hello Mario, thank you for giving our course, Idyl Wyld Golf Course, in the Detroit area, a three-star review. We are glad to hear that you had an overall fun time at our course. We are happy to see that you found our staff friendly and that our course was in great condition when you played. Thank you for playing with us, and we'll see you on the course soon!

"Will come back"

KCC21885's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/21/2017

I'm sure I came at an awkward time but, playing by myself I spent 5 holes waiting up to 10 minutes between shots on the front. After they let me play I thought everything would be great as the slower 2 in front of them were only playing 9. Nope, at the turn I go to 10 to try to keep my momentum and a league was about to tee off. 9 carts and 3 walkers. I wasn't about to wait an hour to tee off again so I just played the front 9 again.

Tee time 1:28

Actual tee off 1:45

Finished 5:20

I get leagues should take precedence, but why would you have them start on 10 if you know you've been sending public to the front? If you know the league needs to play the back 9 for some reason then shouldn't you send people a couple hours before on the back so we don't run into each other when the public goes to turn?

I wasn't the only one, the slower 2some that was ahead of me ended up quitting after 15.

Response from Idyl Wyld on 08/23/2017:

Hello Kenny, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Idyl Wyld, and for the 3-stars. We are sorry to hear about the slow pace of play and we appreciate your feedback regarding the time of our league. It looks like you enjoyed the course conditions and had a friendly experience with our staff, so we are glad to see that. Thank you for recommending our course, in the Detroit area, and we hope to see you again soon.

"Excellent Round"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2017

Great round on a Friday afternoon, twosome and we easily finished in under three hours. Gave us ample time to hit a great Bar located on-site. Fun course to play on a stress free Friday afternoon.

"Course OK"

dengle's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017

This course was in great shape. Relatively short in comparison to most courses I play. Helps with your confidence since you can score low based on course layout.

"Excellent value"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2017

Nice course with some water hazards and sand traps thrown in, you can't beat the price.

"Can't Beat This Deal"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2017

A buddy and I tried to squeeze a round of golf before an event later in the day and only had time for 9. The course was not the best I have been on but was in great shape for a public course. Seemed like staff and patrons were mindful to fill divots and the like.

Interesting layout, some up hill, some down hill, added a nice challenge for a bad golfer like myself. Would definitely go again especially for a little over a dollar a hole with cart.

"Idyl Wyld"

William6838550's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Course played great. Staff was very courteous

and the course itself can be challenging

"Good course for $18"

Joseph3252553's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2017

The course was in good shape and well manicured. Play was exceptionally fast today. Some tough greens.

"Won't golf here again!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

Course was in terrible condition, grass way too long, not trimmed. Play was so slow we quit after playing 9 holes even though we paid for 18!

"Where are the hot dogs????"

brianc316's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2017

My friends and I decided to go for a pleasant, relaxing round of golf on a beautiful Saturday morning. We got there early to get some practice in before our tee time.

Walking into the club house we were excited to find they had free coffee and donuts....plus! However, we didn't know that would be our only excitement about food. When we made the turn, we find out that there was not hot dogs or much to purchase.

Since we had about 15-20 mins before our tee time, we wanted to go putt for a bit while we waited on one of our friends. The whole time we were putting, we noticed two foursomes on #1 tee just waiting. We noticed no-one was in front of them so we were baffled why they weren't teeing off and getting going. Tee was getting backed up. Next thing we hear is over the loud speaker, our group was being called to #1 to tee off.....WHHHHAT!?!?! We still had 6 mins till our tee time, the groups on the tee box could have teed off! Instead we were pressured to go tee off on #1 before our tee time causing now the tee box to be backed up to 3 foursomes, very unpleasant!!!!!

We were also pressured to go to #10 tee...can I use the bathroom at least?!?! We get to the 10th tee and the foursome that was behind us on the front were waiting on the 10th tee.

Course was in decent shape, grounds were wet from some rain in prior days. Especially in some of the valleys on a few holes where our balls got plugged and we couldn't find them. It would be nice to have some yardage to water hazards on some holes where the creek cuts across. Tee boxes were a bit rough and was difficult to find a flat spot for stance.

In conclusion, the course wasn't bad, my friends had a fun time, enjoyed some cigars and the round. Cigars made everything better and I forgot about them not having hot dogs at the turn.

rickmehrer1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

The course was way over booked and because of the soggy turf on most holes, it was cart path only which slowed down pay even more. There were about 15 people lined up waiting to tee off and no starter there to keep things organized. As a result people were not teeing off in order of tee time until a ranger finally showed up. Later I could here names being called off over the PA system as we were making the turn. The back nine was even slower so we finally got frustrated and left after the 13th hole. No tee off markers and no ball cleaners available on the entire course. If they weren't ready for golfers, they shouldn't have opened the choose for play. Very disappointing experience all around.

Course Layout: Poor