Currie West at Currie Municipal Golf Course

Currie - West Course
Scorecard for West
Black M: 74.0/131 412 441 392 227 534 335 159 416 591 3507 398 549 379 194 458 406 534 174 457 3549 7056
Blue M: 71.6/127 397 403 378 160 501 301 143 386 544 3213 378 529 360 173 428 376 506 155 428 3333 6546
White M: 70.1/123 363 379 346 134 490 292 135 375 512 3026 341 519 339 164 397 354 485 144 407 3150 6176
Gold M: 68.3/121 347 360 328 126 478 273 118 348 498 2876 328 460 314 145 377 327 459 139 367 2916 5792
Red W: 70.1/119 298 306 285 104 407 231 102 297 422 2452 279 418 277 139 325 285 416 124 335 2598 5050

Year Built 1960
Fairways Bluegrass
Architect Jerry Matthews (2002)

Never go back!

I played for midland high and currie WAS my home course! I just went back for the first time in 10 years and I will never be back again! Apparently the rude old men are allowed to flip you off and scream at you while you attempt to repair any of yours, or for that matter everyone elses ball marks and divets. No one is responsible or respectful at this course at all. Golf was a gentlemens game and if you are a female you are not welcome to play the west! Completely overpriced for the harrassment!

Solid Public Course

Good course. One of the better public courses around. Good value at twilight, especially if you're playing the east. 27 holes prevents the course from getting too crowded and adds variety.

You can find better deals in the area, but this isn't a bad choice.

Gem in Mid-Michigan

A solid Michigan golf course not far from the Tri-Cities, well worth the money. Well groomed - flat tee boxes (5 per hole), wide fairways, huge greens with average speed. Good variety of layouts. Cart fairly new ran well and we finished 18 holes in around 4 hours. Staff was friendly and courteous. We'll be back!

Beautiful course, poor customer service.

Booked 18 holes through this service. Once arrived at pro shop, staff told me and my playing partner that we could only play 9 due to leagues. Instead of fixing the problem, and sending us off on another 9 or even trying to resolve the issue, staff just blamed the booking service.This was disappointing due to driving over 20 miles to course which didn't leave anytime to play elsewhere.

Started as a 1-Star review, ended as a 5!

Let me start by saying that the "West course" at Currie is gorgeous. Wildlife abound, and it's enclosed enough that you never feel like you're playing a municipal course alongside a highway. It offers everything you could want in a Michigan golf course, including forced carries/layups, well bunkered and fast greens, and nice terrain. I had the opportunity to play this course on May 2nd, 2015 for the first time. I had an early morning tee time, and teed off right on time. However, I was chasing sprinklers all the way through the 13th hole around 9:30. I had to wait on multiple occasions for the sprinklers to be turned off in order to proceed. The course was drenched, making many areas unplayable, and making the round altogether very unpleasant. I waited for more than 10 minutes at the 13th tee before someone came around offering to shut the sprinklers off if I was "in a hurry", otherwise they would turn off automatically "pretty soon". I told this guy not to worry, that I would not be returning after the completion of my round. If this had been the end of the story, I would be leaving a 1 or 2 star review. But it was NOT the end of the story. Apparently the gentleman I spoke to was the course superintendent, who communicated my displeasure to the general manager, Paul Milholland. After my round, as I was loading my equipment into my car to leave, Mr. Milholland came out to my vehicle, introduced himself and personally apologized for my experience. He explained the sprinkler issue to me, and offered me a rain-check to come back and give them another opportunity. Mr. Milholland went ABOVE AND BEYOND to make sure that I didn't leave dissatisfied. I was only one player, and the course surely wouldn't go under by losing the business of one person, but he took the initiative to take care of me anyways. Businesses take note, THIS is excellent customer service! This is how you make your guests feel good about coming back. In doing all of this, Currie has earned a repeat customer with me. I WILL be going back, and I will be sharing this story with others. One simple act of great customer service turned a 1-star experience into a 5-star experience! Thank you, Mr. Milholland!

Excellent value

Wonderful conditions. Moderately challenging. Excellent greens.

My new favorite course

I really enjoyed my round at Currie West because it is a well maintained course but not overly challenging for my skill level. There are also 5 sets of tees you can play which makes it playable for any skill level.

Excellent Greens and layout

The greens roll great and the layout provides a great mix of holes. This isn't a typical "munie" track. With the deal from golfnow, it's a great value of excellent track and conditions.

9 holes of fun

I grabbed a nice 18-hole deal, but the course is only 9 holes. You start out with an easy par 5 ( I went eagle/birdie) and it gets a little more difficult afterwards. Primarily all flat holes with trees on a few holes - including a giant ok the middle of the fairway. I don't exactly get why it's there as it makes the tee shot an impossible one. I suppose you could hit 9 iron off the tee, IDK. Not a bad course overall. Would play again.

higginsupnorth
Commented On 12/03/2016

Apparently you don't golf often, that tree is strategically located, as to make you 'bend' your shot around it. You know the whole Fade/Draw strategy. Makes it fun to come across those from time to time.

Good convenient course near downtown

Staff was very friendly. The reservation I made on golf now did not get to the course. Barb was very friendly and worked with me to straighten it out and get us out in quick fashion! Will definitely play again!