Whittaker Woods Golf Club
Scorecard for Whittaker Woods Golf Club
Black M: 74.8/147 418 520 387 187 532 450 464 164 389 3511 523 455 199 428 360 233 556 403 404 3561 7072
Green M: 72.8/142 W: 74.1/125 395 496 361 166 501 422 445 145 374 3305 504 423 183 394 334 194 533 387 367 3319 6624
White M: 70.4/136 W: 71.7/123 361 471 331 129 489 376 404 126 330 3017 492 399 154 362 307 155 509 336 331 3045 6062
Red M: 69.8/125 W: 66.9/109 295 406 245 102 368 338 329 97 248 2428 410 334 114 302 210 125 432 280 270 2477 4905

Year Built 1996
Golf Season High Season: 5/01 Closed: 9/31
Architect Ken Killian (1996)

• Golf Advisor: Best of Golf Advisor (2014 #46)

Tough but fair

I played the course with 2 friends, we were passing through the area and decided to give it a shot. Considering how wet it has been the course was in good shape. I felt it was a tough but fair course, the only bad thing was that we got stuck behind a couple of foursomes that were slow so it was a longer round than it should have been.

Challenging but fair

Considering all the rain we have had, the course was in really good shape. It is challenging but fair. The staff was really nice and helpful. Play was a bit slowly as our threesome was behind two slow foursomes.

The greatest audible ever!

Our 14th annual outing was scheduled for months in Indianapolis, but the day before it was to begin, the forecast was for rain all day Friday and Saturday. We had 14 guys coming from three states. Tracking the weather and trying to find someplace still within a reasonable drive away, we called Whittaker Woods. Steve made it happen without a moments hesitation. We played 18 Friday and 36 Saturday. The course was very challenging but fair and a lot of fun. The staff in the pro shop, the restaurant and on the course was accommodating, friendly and best of all, no rain. To a man, every one of us had the same reaction: what a great audible and a great time. Thanks to Steve and the whole crew at WW. We would definitely go back.

My husband and friends absolutely love this course!

We have been playing this course every summer when we come to Four Winds Casino. Steve and his staff are absolutely awesome. We are greeted every time as if we were family. Mike who handles the carts, Charlotte the waitress, Jim the starter and all of the other staff members have always been just great. Suck a pleasure to play golf here even when you score is not good. Thanks to all for making our stay in New Buffalo July 17 - 20, 2018 a great one.
Wes and Jeanette Segert

Illinois Advisor

Wonderful Conditioning/Deep Rough

Our group had not ventured to Whittaker in at least 3 years. A very hot day with a light tee sheet on a Saturday it was the perfect venue to catch shade through the woods for some relief. We played in just under 4 hours.....coupled with the hot weather and a rack rate of $90 for a noon weekend time the tee sheet was wide open. Otherwise it can be a very long round (5 hrs plus plus) as novice golfers have absolutely no business playing this place. A two some played through us on the front. The foursome who teed off behind them we never saw....and we didn't even see them finish after loading up all our gear in the car and getting a beverage so they took at least 5 hours on an empty course......no gps bring a garmin or laser sprinkler heads are marked. Scorecard has a decent guide of each hole.

Greens were incredibly swift - estimate an 11 possibly even a 12 on the stimp. With all the rains balls were holding. Even with light play conditions around the cup were difficult because of the "doughnut" effect so any ball nearing the hole would break even more sharply even hit at perfect pace. Downhillers and even some side hillers were next to impossible. A couple of flag positions where 10 footers you were thankful just to get the ball within 4 feet yes they were that speedy. The White tees at just over 6000 yards have a stout 136 slope. Course is plenty tight in areas with some blind tee shots and numerous forced carries...you have to play this place a few times....good luck as a first timer. Rough was lush and plenty long assisting to keep your ball in play. Fairways and traps in excellent shape. Some tee boxes need just a little work but overall one of the best conditioned tracks experienced this season. Water jugs on course and pleasant nurse service but beverages are overpriced. I guess they figure if you're paying a lot just to get on the track you won't complain about the overpricing. Very pleasant folks all around pro shop/bar and cart attendants. Has nice grass warm up range across the street and a couple of practice areas. Practice putting green near the pro shop a tad slower than the actual greens it doesn't have enough slope but fairly representative. For a course of this caliber no locker room or showers a real lacking amenity.

Beautiful routing challenging well conditioned test for the average to advanced player. Several areas where the wind swirls. Highly recommend but avoid if you're a novice....you're guaranteed to have a very long day and lose more than a dozen balls. Bring some bug spray....and route your shots to stay out of the deep woods off. 4.5 stars, $50 value.

Good vacation golf spot

Visiting new buffalo area? Then this is the place for you. Very challenging and very beautiful. Amazing staff that were very friendly and funny. Lots of mature trees and lots of water. Bring some extra balls.....I lost more here in one game then I did ina few years of golf. Weekdays seniors are half price. Great deal.

Horrendously Slow

Had a 10am tee time but didn’t go off until about 10:30 due to it being a free for all without a starter. Groups in front of me shouldn’t be playing a course like this. The setup is meant for an average golfer or better so having groups of high handicappers made it a very long day. They wouldn’t let me pass until the turn (the bev cart girl actually went and asked them if I could play thru and that was their answer). 3+ hrs on the front with no ranger on the course. 100 degrees outside. I wasn’t enthused. Warm water in the water cooler. Course was in excellent shape as always. It can be a bear from the tips. I guess I’m complaining but I won’t go back just because I think the rounds will always be long if they don’t push pace of play. For $90 they should care a bit more. Maybe I was just unlucky?

very scenic and hard

love the layout great condition must be straight on front lose some balls

Tight

Nice course. Well conditioned with fast greens. Fairly tight. Sometimes unnecessarily so. Friendly staff.

Peaceful day

Beautiful course, difficult for players that can't get the ball in the air but if your an above average player this course is super fun, you get to use all of your clubs. It take 2 or 3 rounds to learn where to place your shots for low scores but the environment makes each round spectacular. We golfed there when it was first built, it was nice to see how the course has evolved and loved the improvements made.

A bit of a dissappointment

I booked my tee time via golf now and I thought it was a good deal. Here is the rub, when we arrived we were told by the golf cart attendant that we would only be able to play the front 9. Since it was prepaid through golf now there really wasn't much we could do, when I went to the pro shop the attendant said in a little bit of a sarcastic tone, I guess you heard the good news and informed me that the back nine was closed due to course reconditioning meaning they were busy aireating the greens. I understand that to keep a course healthy this is necessary. Most courses actually will close for a day or two, but they decided they would rather stay open and collect revenue for a less than desirable experience.

The front that we did play twice was not what I expected for the price we paid. The greens had been punched, but not sanded so putting was impossible.

I wish I would have known prior to purchase that we were not getting the deal we thought we were, we will not be back for any price.

They could have offered a rain check, I did not ask for one because I had already made up my mind that I would not go back and play. When you play a high $ course you expect a better experience. The cart guy was super friendly so he was the only good thing I can say about our experience.

Thanks for the 5 stars!

Hidden gem

An amazing course! We thoroughly enjoyed playing here....many tough holes and course management was a must. A lot of water and swampy areas and lay ups a must. We will definitely put this course as one of our favorites.

Commented On 10/05/2017

Thank you so much! We don't want to be a "hidden" gem! Tell all your friends!

Great condition

Tough but fun track. Tee boxes, fairway, bunkers, and greens were in great condition especially for late summer. Front nine more challenging than back nine. Lots of blind shots made first time playing challenging. Will play again next summer. 3 wood and driving iron needed from a few tee shots.

Commented On 10/05/2017

Thank you so much for all the positive feedback! See you next summer!

WWGC

I think this is consitiently one of best conditioned clubs that has had their slope(s), and course rating(s) calculated by the CDGA.

Commented On 10/05/2017

Thank you for the kind words and 5 star review!

Pleasant surprise

Course was in excellent condition. Tee boxes are huge. Fairways plush and greens were excellent. Greens were tricky but fair and quite consistent. Very narrow driving course off the tee. If you are wayward with your tee shots you might want to think twice or bring lots of golf balls. Lots of woods and marsh areas that are in play.

Commented On 10/05/2017

Thank you for the insight and the 5 star review!

Outstanding track for the money

Just an outstanding course, with a unique design that blends old-school and new. Whether playing from the tips or the whites, each and every tee shot represents a unique challenge, with the fun often starting when standing over second shots. The large greens are demanding, yet fair, rewarding well placed approaches. You really have to "think your way around" this lay-out. Remarkable that no two of the par 5's or par 3's looked the same, loved the variety. The staff was welcoming, with Mike greeting us in the parking lot, recognizing that we were visitors, giving us some "local knowledge". Can't wait to come back and play this gem again.

Commented On 10/05/2017

We appreciate the 5 star review and all the kind words! Looking forward to having you back!

Beautiful, Challenging Course

Played this course on a visit to the New Buffalo area and had a great experience. The staff was very friendly and the course was in great shape. The front nine is very challenging and if you've never played it before it can be very tough as there are a number of blind shots. I felt like I struck the ball really well but my score suffered because I got into trouble by going OB in areas that I thought were safe. GPS would be a great addition here. The scorecard provides information about each hole but it is challenging to follow. Either way I had a great time and would recommend to anyone in the area for sure!

Commented On 10/05/2017

Thank you for the kind words, particularly about the staff! We appreciate the feedback!

New Buffalo, Michigan
New Buffalo, Michigan
Michigan City, Indiana
Michigan City, Indiana
Lakeside, Michigan
Rolling Prairie, Indiana

Valid dates: Jun 18, 2019 - Aug 31, 2019
Fling and Swing! Golf Package for 2, includes 1 round of golf for 2 daily, a resort fee applies, 50 USD resort credit per night.
Sewailo Golf Club Stay & Play Hotel Package