Whittaker Woods Golf Course

• 12578 Wilson Rd, New Buffalo, Michigan 49117, Berrien County
  • www.golfwhittaker.com

Year built: 1996
Architect(s): Ken Killian (1996)
Type: Public
Golf Season: High Season: 5/01 Closed: 9/31

Dress code: Appropriate golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive near local attractions   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include narrow fairways forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks

"A bit of a dissappointment"

golfdealseeker's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2017

I booked my tee time via golf now and I thought it was a good deal. Here is the rub, when we arrived we were told by the golf cart attendant that we would only be able to play the front 9. Since it was prepaid through golf now there really wasn't much we could do, when I went to the pro shop the attendant said in a little bit of a sarcastic tone, I guess you heard the good news and informed me that the back nine was closed due to course reconditioning meaning they were busy aireating the greens. I understand that to keep a course healthy this is necessary. Most courses actually will close for a day or two, but they decided they would rather stay open and collect revenue for a less than desirable experience.

The front that we did play twice was not what I expected for the price we paid. The greens had been punched, but not sanded so putting was impossible.

I wish I would have known prior to purchase that we were not getting the deal we thought we were, we will not be back for any price.

They could have offered a rain check, I did not ask for one because I had already made up my mind that I would not go back and play. When you play a high $ course you expect a better experience. The cart guy was super friendly so he was the only good thing I can say about our experience.

Motstig1957's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2017

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2017

Thanks for the 5 stars!

"Hidden gem"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2017

An amazing course! We thoroughly enjoyed playing here....many tough holes and course management was a must. A lot of water and swampy areas and lay ups a must. We will definitely put this course as one of our favorites.

Commented on 10/05/2017

Thank you so much! We don't want to be a "hidden" gem! Tell all your friends!

"Great condition"

brandonegarrett's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

Tough but fun track. Tee boxes, fairway, bunkers, and greens were in great condition especially for late summer. Front nine more challenging than back nine. Lots of blind shots made first time playing challenging. Will play again next summer. 3 wood and driving iron needed from a few tee shots.

Commented on 10/05/2017

Thank you so much for all the positive feedback! See you next summer!

"WWGC"

RaymondJuskus's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2017

I think this is consitiently one of best conditioned clubs that has had their slope(s), and course rating(s) calculated by the CDGA.

Commented on 10/05/2017

Thank you for the kind words and 5 star review!

"Pleasant surprise"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017

Course was in excellent condition. Tee boxes are huge. Fairways plush and greens were excellent. Greens were tricky but fair and quite consistent. Very narrow driving course off the tee. If you are wayward with your tee shots you might want to think twice or bring lots of golf balls. Lots of woods and marsh areas that are in play.

Commented on 10/05/2017

Thank you for the insight and the 5 star review!

"Outstanding track for the money"

u000001914167's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2017
First time playing Used cart Verified Purchaser

Just an outstanding course, with a unique design that blends old-school and new. Whether playing from the tips or the whites, each and every tee shot represents a unique challenge, with the fun often starting when standing over second shots. The large greens are demanding, yet fair, rewarding well placed approaches. You really have to "think your way around" this lay-out. Remarkable that no two of the par 5's or par 3's looked the same, loved the variety. The staff was welcoming, with Mike greeting us in the parking lot, recognizing that we were visitors, giving us some "local knowledge". Can't wait to come back and play this gem again.

Commented on 10/05/2017

We appreciate the 5 star review and all the kind words! Looking forward to having you back!

"Beautiful, Challenging Course"

tmw1582's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

Played this course on a visit to the New Buffalo area and had a great experience. The staff was very friendly and the course was in great shape. The front nine is very challenging and if you've never played it before it can be very tough as there are a number of blind shots. I felt like I struck the ball really well but my score suffered because I got into trouble by going OB in areas that I thought were safe. GPS would be a great addition here. The scorecard provides information about each hole but it is challenging to follow. Either way I had a great time and would recommend to anyone in the area for sure!

Commented on 10/05/2017

Thank you for the kind words, particularly about the staff! We appreciate the feedback!

"Great layout"

Slinks's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2017

Great layout through the woods. Many blind tee shots so picking the right line off the tee was tricky due to first time playing the course.

Commented on 10/05/2017

Thank you for coming to play at Whittaker Woods! We appreciate the feedback too!

"A Great Course .... Can't Wait to Play it a 2nd Time"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2017

What a Gem. The front 9, especially 5,6 and 7 is very tight and a 3-wood is Highly recommended off the tee. The Back9 opens up. Not a cookie cutter course, every hole presents a different view, layout and challenge. They greens were in excellent shape and rolled very smooth except for the occasional unprepared ball mark. I can't wait to play this course again. My only suggestion would be to offer a detailed "Yardage Book" for sale. Bring your GPS unit, you'll need it. Super friendly staff!

Commented on 10/05/2017

Thank you for the feedback! We're glad you had such a good time!

"Vacation fun"

st15stman's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017

Course was very nice and men's tees were very challenging-ladies had it easier. Course was in great shape and the woods are beautiful. Fun day of golf with friends while on vacation!

Commented on 10/05/2017

We are glad you all game in and played! Thanks so much for the wonderful review!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2017

Unfortunately I got behind a foursome that had to look for everyone's ball as well as go and congratulate everyone's shot even though they were in two carts. When they left the green, they sat in their carts to review the last hole before they moved onto the next. They seemed to have let previous groups to play thru on the front nine.

Overall the course is very impressive and other's pace of play seemed faster

Commented on 10/05/2017

Thank you for the kind words on the course and we apologize that you got slowed by the group in front of you. We appreciate your patience!

"Started strong; but disastrous finish"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

Good start; teed off on time and moved along at the start..by back 9 things bogged down, as we later realized two groups had formed an 8-some, a heavy drinking, vulgar-mouthed group (one going shirtless)..noticed vomit on one tee box..not positive it was from them but pretty sure it was..I get it, summer is here and they will attract vacationers in from Chicago...but holes 15,16,17 took an hour and never any rangers at this course.. skipped 18 rather than have round go over 5 hours..gave both barrels to two separate staff members at pro golf, and wrote note to the course GM that evening, and never heard back from anyone (this is why I am writing this)..too bad, as course was in good shape...but driving 75 miles round trip and having this poor customer experience leaves a sour taste in my mouth.. turns out the golfer who plays at a good pace, fixes divots and ballmarks and follows the course rules is not their target customer..

Commented on 10/05/2017

Thank you for leaving this feedback. We apologize for the behavior of the guests that were playing ahead of you and we are genuinely sorry that a ranger didn't come and address the issue while you were there. We hope that you come back, we can assure you'll have a better experience.

kswihart's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

I had a wonderful time: beautiful layout, wonderful staff, excellent weather, and meeting new personable playing partners all combined for one of my best golf experiences in recent years.

Commented on 10/05/2017

That is wonderful to hear! Hope to see you back next time you're in the area!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

Thanks for the feedback!

"Wetland Wonderland"

Lizzzz's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2017

Whittaker Woods is a must play. We live in IL and get tired of the Prairie style courses in our area. They are "cookie cutters" so it's nice to get out and play a course that is cut through trees, revives and natural wetlands. Whittaker is in early spring condition; wet, cart-path only, and the greens are rough right now, but still we had a fun day. The bar is nice and the food is great. Whittaker Woods has a resort feel. The clubhouse is beautiful. Oh, I almost forgot, bring extra balls and don't let the penalties you're sure to incur ruin your fun.

Commented on 10/05/2017

Thank you for the wonderful feedback Lizzzz! We know our course in narrow, but we wouldn't have it any other way!

"Tough, gorgeous, inspiring, well-maintained - bring your A-game!"

fendsonbacker's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Whittaker Woods is many things at once. It has an inspiring layout for those that like to be challenged. Numerous forced carries right off the tees (not exceptionally long carries - but they look intimidating). Many narrow "slots' between the trees from the tee to get to the fairway area. Challenging dog-legs. Sometimes surprising water features - check your hole layouts. Lots of great natural background. Very natural course - until you get to the two holes along I-94 - which themselves are still nice holes.

If you are an average golfer, you need to bring your A-game or be looking at, perhaps, 10+ strokes above your typical score. But everything on the course is really nice. Only complaint/suggestion would be to add GPS distance on the carts. It would help.

Very good pace of about 3.5 hours. Ball finders paradise! You don't really even have to look hard to find others - but good luck finding your own if you get too far off the fairways.

Would play here any day for the challenge, but just have to lower my scoring expectations a bit. It is a true test of skills and shot making.

Commented on 10/25/2016

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and the positive feedback. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Whittaker Woods. Hope to see you back out on the greens soon!

"Whittaker Woods"

flaphil's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/19/2016

Excellent golf course, very scenic, tough, fun, awesome.

I wouldn't change anything except possibly consider a green/white hybrid tee for those 6 holes with the long carry. Or maybe just set the green tees at about 6400 yards ...not a complaint just a suggestion.

I am one of your biggest fans !

Commented on 09/27/2016

Thank you so much for the great review! We are lucky to have great golfers like you at Whittaker Woods! We hope to see you back soon!

"Woods is right"

dagerl's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Stay away from the tips. 3 wood on the front. More forgiving on the back. Nines should be switched.

Commented on 09/19/2016

Thank you so much for the 5 Stars and the tips for future golfers. We hope you will come back out and see us soon!