Length 1985 yards

Year Built 1995
Architect Garrett Gill (1999)

Golf Simulator Yes

Credit Cards Accepted None

Field of Dreams

Gopher Hills lived up to its name when I played it for the first time on August 8th. Set in the middle of farming country, the course was a continuous change in elevation, leading to numerous uphill, downhill and side hill lies. The front nine was rather wide open. The back nine, however, was a bit tighter with tree lined fairways on several holes. Overall, the course was in good condition and it was a fun round of golf. There were even a couple sightings of the namesake gophers. Everyone in pro shop was friendly and the club had a nice area for post-round drinks and meal. I'm glad I took the time to find this course and would recommend it without hesitation.

Minnesota Advisor

No Gophers, Lots of Hills

I didn’t see any gophers, but there are definitely hills at Gopher Hills Golf Course. Rolling topography and significant elevation changes from fairways to greens make the course seem to play longer than the posted yardages. The course names its front and back nines The Heath and The Glen respectively. True to its name, the Heath is wide open, with very sparse tree coverage, mostly immature evergreens, and quite a few areas of native grass. These grassy areas present the major hazards to be avoided on this nine, as there are very few bunkers and what little water there is on the course is really not in play. The third hole is 349 yards from the White tees, but plays longer because the green is elevated quite a bit above the fairway. In addition, the green is raised, with a false front and sloping sides that don’t seem to want to hold approach shots. Par here is well earned. From the ekevated tees, the landing area on the ninth fairway, set at an angle to the direction of the tee shot, seems very narrow, with OB on the left and a lateral hazard on the right. Luckily, the tee ball doesn’t have to be very long, as the hole is only 349 yards from the White tees and this green is one of the few that is not elevated. The Glen has elevation changes similar to The Heath, but has more hardwood tree coverage on several holes. In addition, there are a few water hazards that must be avoided, most notably on the approach shot of the par 5 11th hole. The dogleg left par 4 10th is short at 284 yards from the White tees, but there are two large trees like goalposts framing the approach to the green. These trees will block the approach from a tee shot that is short left or too long right. The 460 yard par 5 17th hole doglegs left and then slightly right, running uphill all the way. The approach shot is blind, and golfers are asked to ring a bell by the green when they have finished putting out. The fairways at Gopher Hills were generously wide, with a few exceptions. The rough just off the fairway on The Glen seemed to our group to be thicker and longer than what we saw on The Heath. This may have been due to our losing a few balls on the back nine. Our group didn’t score as well as we would have liked, but we all enjoyed playing the course and vowed that next time we play this course we will definitely take more club on those uphill approaches.

Great round played.

We had a great round of golf. The course was fun and challenging. How ever at the turn we normally stop grab a bite to eat. Mind yiu it was a damp day had been raining but tje customer service and lack of choices for a bite to eat were lack luster.

always great

I am always greeted with kindness. I think they do a great job keeping it green with all the sun and wind they get. After playing there for over 10 years from the whites, I am partially disabled now, and play the golds. Its like a different course now. Ha. Give it a try, you will be pleased.

Fun Course and Great Value

It is a hilly course that can challenge your shot placement abilities and the greens, while fair, were set up for some nice breaks when I played it.

Cute course. Must drive it pretty straight. Beautiful area.

Good challenging course

The golf was great. However when we got to the course we discovered they had the same cart and golf for $22.00. This meant that "Convenience Fee" added an additional $20.00 to the cost of the golf for four people. It does seem right that the course offers a better price than your discounted price.

One and Done for us

Booked a round with the wife as we had never played this course. Saw the reviews and it sounded like a course that we would like. The course layout is horrible. Blind shots, extreme dog legs. The clubhouse was the highlight of the day. Beautiful clubhouse as is the terrain, but the course design is not like any we've played before. Have no ides of why it is rated so high. A friend of mine had played it before and was not at all impressed with the layout. We got a great deal on the round, but we will not be back to play this course. Several of the gravel cart paths were washed out. There had been some rain and several bunkers hat water in them. More than one of the holes, you could be 125 yards from the green and not see the green or the flag. Probably the worst layout for a golf course we've played.

Response from on 10/26/2017:
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Gopher Hills Golf Course, in the Minnesota area. We are sorry to hear that the course layout may not have been enjoyable for you and your wife. Your feedback is appreciated. It looks like you had a friendly experience with our staff and it sounds like you appreciated the clubhouse, so we hope that improved your experience with us. Thank you for golfing with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Second Time Aroud

This was the second time we played this course. After the first we thought we'd come back again. Commented on how nice the greens were. The second time we were able to be more alert to our surroundings and the very few tricky layout/ blind shots. Looking backwards after playing holes we became aware how beautiful the scenery actually was. It is definitely hilly but we are coming back for sure. Very fun course to play.

Improving conditions

Very rolling & hilly course. Tough walk. Lots of uneven lies. Fairways reasonably wide but very penal if you miss them. If you spray ball around, probably other courses would be more fun. Blind shots, especially on back. Helps a lot to have played this course b4. Sand traps have little sand in them, putt out if you can, otherwise chip it out. Greens have gotten better over last 2 yrs. Roll more consistently and at good speed. Good range. Tue is men's league so be done by 5:00. Otherwise unless there is a scheduled event, easy to get on, but call ahead. Often no cart service (ask), so stock up at clubhouse. Fun course to play. Not real long but does require some accuracy.

No notice of league

I finish the front 9, I'm headed to hole 10. Never got told of league tonight so there was 3, 4 somes in front of me and none of them would let us pass thru. Treated very poorly by the elderly guys there. I feel like because I am a young golfer, I get picked on more when out there. I'm out there to get better and enjoy the course. I pay the same amount as everyone else. We couldn't finish because we would have been waiting and waiting. We then go ask to get money or play the executive and the guy could not have cared less either about what happened, and this was the same guy that checked me and my friend out. I loved this course before this last round but made me change my mind about this course.

Response from on 08/10/2017:
Hi Brandon, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Gopher Hills Golf Course. We appreciate the feedback and are very sorry to hear about the poor experience. This was a miscommunication on our part and we will do our best to make sure it won't happen again. We hope that you'll give us the chance to earn your business again in the Cannon Falls area soon.

Fun course/ paid too much

The course was fun to play. Always difficult playing a course for the first time. However I was disappointed with how much we had to pay. On Golf Now is said we were locked in for $33 a person and 1/2 cart. Including the initial booking fee. Ended up paying $42 per person. Still cheaper than most courses but I was mis informed. Normally what we get locked in for is what we pay. That's why we travel 45min to an hour out of the city.

Bad day for the staff

It started off badly when the pro shop computer was down. I had booked and paid online. I was told to check in at the bar where there were two staff people serving about 25 patrons waiting to be served after what I gather was the after-round crowd from an outing that had just concluded. 10 minutes later, they checked me in (though whatever computer access they had didn't say whether I had paid or not, so I had to show my confirmation email), and was sent back to the pro shop to get my cart key. I headed to the first tee - no starter, so I figured out who I was supposed to be playing with on my own. I've played this course maybe a dozen times before and this was as slow a pace as I can remember. We never saw a ranger or even a beverage cart the whole round. I'll chalk this up to a bad day, but my expectations for the future experience at this course have been significantly lowered. You can get really good deals here, but unfortunately, you get what you pay for.

Response from on 07/05/2017:
Hello Mark, thank you for taking the time to review Gopher Hills Golf Course in the Minnesota area. We are sorry to hear the we missed the mark when you first arrived at the course and that the round may not have been as smooth as expected. We are happy to see that you still enjoyed the course layout and that it was a great value. Thank you for the 3 star review and we hope to see you again soon.
4.5242058824
Red Wing, Minnesota

Valid dates: May 01, 2020 - Oct 01, 2020
This great package includes lodging and a round of golf on either Schuss Mountain GC or Summit GC.