Formerly known as Jones Masterpiece at Treetops Sylvan Resort.

Year Built 1987
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Sr. (1987) Roger Rulewich (1987)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Rick Smith Golf Academy"

Bad Design

For the second year in a row our group played the Tradition, Premier, and Masterpiece (in that order), and for next year I will be recommending that we skip the Masterpiece. The conditioning was quite bad this year, and when combined with some really poorly designed holes, it's just not an enjoyable experience.

My main issue with the course is some really bad holes. It starts with the 3rd hole, where the fairway in the driving zone is domed and ejects all shots. Playing less than driver off of the tee is really the only option, leaving a mid- to long-iron into a sliver of a green. Despite a rainy spring, the greens played very firm, and this green kicked every one of our approach shots to the back section. This green does allow for a run-up shot, though, unlike many of the other holes. However, it's still one of the more difficult approaches, which is forced by the lack of options off of the tee.

The next hole, the par 3 4th, has been altered with a new green, as the original green has been turned into a practice area. The shot into the practice green is beautiful and framed perfectly by the woods. The alternate green, on the other hand, is a 180+ yard forced carry uphill with no fairway or run-up option, and surrounded by condos. The hole is unfinished, exactly as it was a year prior. It's a bad hole, and even more disappointing that nothing has been done to it in a year.

Up next, the par 5 5th is among the worst holes I've ever played. The fairway is domed and ejects drives down the right side into the woods, and down the left side into a deep ravine. The amount of holdable fairway on a drive has to be less than 10 yards wide. There is more room if playing less than driver, however the layup area has the same features as the rest of the fairway, kicking balls into the woods right and a ravine left. Because there are so few options for landing a ball safely on the hole, the pace of play bottlenecks here.

That 3-hole stretch is by far the worst, but even some of the better holes have problems. After the confusing blind uphill second shot on the par 5 10th, the 11th is a nice looking hole with an interesting drive around a left-hand bunker. Drives down the right side near the woods provides the best angle into a lot of the pins on the left side of the green. The firmness and ridge in the middle of the green make it near impossible to hold an approach, though, even with a wedge, negating any advantage from playing a good drive. The massively uphill green prevents any run-up shots, which would be required here.

The greens were in brutal shape, making it near impossible to hit a true putt. Some of the blue tee boxes were also in rough shape, or laughably sloped and uneven. I don't recall it being in bad shape last year, so this may be a temporary thing and doesn't bother me that much. Combined with the bad design, though, and I was ready for the round to end early.

Like the Premier and the Threetops course, there are some holes here with large downhill drops and great views, including the par 3 6th, and the short par 4 15th. For an extended first-time stay, I would recommend seeing the course and deciding for yourself. One play was enough for me, though, and two plays was too many. I'm hoping we won't come back to this one.

Great Layout, but the Greens are a Disaster

The short story here is something happened to their greens this year and they are terrible. It looks like a chemical mishap, but the greens are a dark brown/almost black color and many of them are very bumpy. An employee told us it was something they did on purpose and it would be fixed in a few days, but nobody in our group was buying that. It kind of ruins the experience of what is an otherwise beautiful course. f you're coming to Treetops in 2019, I'd highly recommend playing on of their other courses. The other three courses are on a different piece of property and don't appear to have the same issue as Masterpiece.

An enjoyable beating....

They need to replicate the Bethpage Black warning sign on thef first tee here. Hardest course I've ever played... simultaneously the most fun I've ever had. Only complaint pace of play was impacted by difficulty.5 1/2 round... But the course was so astonishing I simply didn't care.....staff was awesome course was in pristine shape....I highly recommend this beating..

Everything N.MI Golf Should Be

First time playing the Masterpiece, and I will be back for sure. Cart staff was friendly and accommodating. I got to the course early enough to warm up on the range first, and the complimentary range balls were a plus. I played as a single, but was able to play through several groups ahead. Course was in great condition for an early spring round. Greens rolled very true. Bunkers needed some attention, but with a large group of old timers in a league ahead I suspect is was more the groups before not raking than the course. Great layout with scenic views on almost every hole. This track lives up to the hype.

It had been too long...

I hadn't played the Jones course since the late 90's. I will not wait that long again. This track was not only the first at Treetops, it was the pretty much the one that put northern MI on the golf map. I've played just about every course in and around Gaylord and this course and the Fazio Premier are still the two finest ones in the area. Unlike some other strong designs in the area (Otsego Club Tribute, Black Forest) this resort continues to maintain the course - conditions on Sunday afternoon of Labor Day weekend were outstanding. It is still very demanding, maybe the toughest course in the area, but the views tend ease the harshness of the layout. I had my best ball striking stretch of the season on the back nine and still posted a score that's higher than normal for me. Pace of play was ok - 4hrs 35 minutes on Labor Day Sunday, and they were booked solid. We paid retail - $80, but I still don't think that's a bad value considering the experience.

Toughest yet most gorgeous course I've played

Played from the whites and shot in the 120s. Played in afternoon after overnight and morning rains soaked everything in the area. Elevation changes and rolling hills make this a very tough course but the scenery and beauty is amazing. Expected way worse from a state where Detroit is located. The staff and facilities are very good for a public golf resort. Ended up re-playing the front 9 as a scramble (2 vs 2) and added some team competition into it.

after tournament and rain conditions

Played couple days after a week end tournament of 500 players and its shows. Too bad we had to pay $110 for this. Course underaeration condition made the same day. Many workers on the course. I would think than usually the course would worth the price but not yesterday! For my husband and I, the most chalenging was the putting. Really something to figure out. Misread couple time. Would playit again when dryer when visitinhg nexttime in Michigan. We far more enjoyed the Quarry and Links at Bay harbor.....those two nine are master piece and must play in that state.

Chicago Advisor

Treetops Resort - Masterpiece

The Good: One of the final RTJ Sr. tracks and the course that really jump-started the Northern Michigan golf boom, the Masterpiece has arguably the best collection of Par 3's in the Midwest. Many doglegs that include supreme elevation changes and long, uphill Par 5's are a signature of this bear of a layout. Nice greens that put true and very difficult. Great on-and-off course amenities includes full clubhouse and restaurant nearby in the resort, full practice facility, and halfway house. The best service of any of the Treetops courses. Arguably the most eye-appealing of all the layouts at the resort. Just awesome!

The Bad: Lack of GPS is a glaring omission. Course conditions are good but not great. Sand consistencies are sub-par compared to the other courses. Extremely difficult in the wind - high handicappers beware!

The Verdict: The most fun you can have playing northern Michigan golf. The appropriately named course is one of RTJ's defining tracks and the stamp of the Treetops resort.

Best Hole(s): The downhill Par 3 6th is where everyone brings their camera out, but the best hole is actually the dog leg Par 4 8th. A blind tee shot around the corner to a small peninsula green. Very tough!

8/14 recent aeration

While this is the first Treetops course it IS the most challenging. The greens, faiways and tee boxes had been just aerated and actually in a lot of cases helped. This course is NOT for the average player. The fairways are all sloped and there is not a level lie virtually anywhere. I can't imaging playing this course when the faiways are running fast.. I have to admit the scenery and the course itself is gorgeous. If you are ready for a challenge, this is your course. If you are a 15+ handicap, be ready to be frustrated .... even on good shots.

This probably is the most picturesque course we have ever played.

With it's panoramic views of rolling hills and woodlands,
it's easy to understand why this course is highly recommended.
The fairways are well maintained and the tee's are easy to locate.
While the staff was very polite and imformitive, we were a little
disappointed in the greens keeping. The harsh winter we had here in Nortrhern Michigan may have had something to do with it.
The stagering drop from tee to green on hole number six is
one like you will seldom see, play it carefully. The entire course
is challanging and a pleasure to play, we will be back again.

Pace of Play problems

Great course, not is as great of shape as I would have expected, the greens were kind of beaten up by the traffic, but we quit after 17 holes as there was no marshall on the course and the group in front of us had no one within 3 holes of them. We had to wait at least 5 minutes between each shot before we could play. Not enjoyable at all.

Pace of Play not maintained

a real value

From the bag drop crew to the pro shop and onto the course we were treated royally...great value for the package

greens and elevation changes were outstanding!

The greens were FAST but fair as long as you were on the correct tier.The excellent use of the terrain with elevated tees and greens made this a very memorable round of golf.

Truly a Masterpiece as the name implies!

My wife and I absolutely loved it. Breathtaking views, challenging & awesome layout, friendly & courteous staff. Plan on using every club in your golf bag, and hitting every conceivable type of golf shot

great course

this is a excellent up north course - greens are very fast

Nice scenic Course

Great course with nice scenic view on every hole. But pace of play was very slow took over 5.5 hours. The group in front were playing back tees which they had no business playing. Despite complaints the pace never got better.

Enjoyable!

Course was in good condition. Plays short from the white tees, some tight greens, requires accurate chip shots.

Challenging Golf!

Outstanding course. Not for the high handicapper. Requires skill. Saw frustrated hackers!! Loved it. Pace of play very good. Greens very hard to read. Great challenge

Lush fairways, excellent condition

Course was very busy as it was 4th of July weekend, but everything went smoothly. Course was in immaculate condition. Fairways and greens were perfect.

Valid dates: Feb 01, 2020 - Feb 29, 2020
Three days of UNLIMITED golf and Three nights of lodging with FREE golf shoes.