Sycamore Hills Golf Club

Year Built 1990
Fairways Velvet Bentgrass
Greens Velvet Bentgrass

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2015 #14)

Playing Multiple Courses 7

Plush!!

This was my first time playing here and it won’t be my last, the course has it’s fair share of trees, water and trouble! Beautiful layout and they maintain it superbly!

Still really like this course for the money. Sad to hear that parts of it will be built next year.

Excellent course!

This is a real good course, lots of mid range clubs, and your driver will come in handy.

Glad we went

Good value for the money, course was in good shape.
I would go back again

Soaked South

South course was absolutely soaked with standing water but pace of play was good. North course was in great shape but played slow. Overall very nice facilities but the south course had too many holes borderline unplayable to warrant a better rating

Course was in wonderful shape considering the last week it has rained almost everyday. Nice lay out for the size. Restrooms and freshwater pretty often. Not a whole lot of elevation change but expected for the area

North/West

The only problem I had with this course was that the greens were recently aerated which affected our putting. But it's been a wet spring so far and the course was otherwise maintained very well.

Not up to par for start of the season

The course is in rough shape. This course is actually a local gem and was pretty disappointed that the course is in the condition that it’s currently in. I normally love playing here. Please do better, I want to keep coming back.

Too expensive

Played a round in the middle of October with a temperature of 45 degrees. Pro shop guy was blah' and uninviting. Was told that the greens were just aerated AFTER we paid. Pretty strategic release of information. Green fees were to expensive as it was, not considering the greens being aerated and it being 45 degrees. Course was well maintained and fun, just not worth the pricey fee.

Great course… Too expensive

I like playing at Sycamore… It’s a good course they keep it well manicured, the layout is nice… It’s just too expensive. There’s other courses in the area they give you the same experience for a cheaper price. Plus the pace of play was terrible for a sat afternoon … I understand that sometimes when you play on a day when they’re having an outing that you may have to wait a little bit but today was ridiculous. I played as a single player and it took me five hours to play 18 holes. That’s why I can’t give more than a three star rating for my round today. I left the course frustrated

Only issue was being placed in front of an Outing...they complained...we skipped the 1st and they STILL caught up to us and we were a 3some

Well Kept Course

As always the course was in great condition. My problem with this course is how they jam as many people as possible out there. Played 18 holes on a Friday afternoon 12:48 tee time and didn't finish till after 6pm!!

Commented on 06/07/2018

Sir, thank you for playing Sycamore Hills. We appreciate your support. I am sorry your round took longer than expected on Friday. Unfortunately, we had a golf outing that was twice delayed due to two rain storms that afternoon which had a ripple effect on the rest of the tee-times. We apologize that caused rounds to be slower than normal for the afternoon and hope you decide to give Sycamore Hills another chance.

Sincerely,
Matthew Schwark
Director of Golf - Sycamore Hills Golf Club

Very wet

Not their fault it was wet, but the greens could have been rolled before that happened. They were very bumpy, ball wasn’t able to roll smooth.

Pace of play DESTROYED the round.

First of all, I'll start off positive and say that this is one of the most senic and well maintained courses I've ever been to, and I have played many courses that golfnow offers in my area. Some of them have cost double or even triple what I paid to play Sycamore Hills.
Unfortunately, the views and course layout do not make up for the way they manage groups and slow play. This my second time there, and the same thing happened to me the 1st time, so I just wrote it off as a fluke, but going 2 for 2, kinda rules out coincidence for me. What they do is they double book every tee time (to cover for no shows I guess). They have a ranger and a starter, but they are useless. Long story short, I ended up playing 13 holes in 4 hours (in a cart) and from the 14th on there were 6 somes waiting behind walkers, behind other 6 somes. If I would have stayed to finish, the round would have taken around 6 hours. The worst part about it was that there are 27 holes there, but everyone was gridlocked on one of the 9s. So Instead of finishing the round, i drove to the cart return, probably never to return, which is sad because of the quality of the course. I would understand this if it was a Saturday at noon and it was just the sheer volume of people, but I teed of at 1030 on a Tuesday.
In conclusion, if you have 6 or 7 hours for a round of golf, props to you for the patience and commitment. Go spend them them at Sycamore Hills. The course is beautiful.

Commented on 05/07/2018

It sounds like you had a reasonably frustrating round. We'd like to give you a better experience if possible. I encourage you to call Matthew at (586) 598-9500 ext. 1 so we can make it right.

Commented on 05/04/2018

I appreciate the time and thought put into addressing my experience at your facility. I doubt many places would have taken the time.

Commented on 05/04/2018

Hello, Scott9663332. Thank you for playing Sycamore Hills and we appreciate your compliments regarding the golf course. I am sorry you had a slow round when you played here and that our rangers failed to move along slow golfers. Tuesday, May 1st was our first beautiful day of the season and many golfers decided to take advantage. If you call the Pro Shop we would be more than happy to address your concern on the course and alleviate any issues.

We do utilize each of our three 9-hole courses and did so on the day you played. I promise that we never double-book tee-times and do not permit 6-somes. It is possible for two groups to have the same tee-time but starting on different courses.

Again, I apologize that you had a slow round which diminished your experience here. We hope you reconsider playing at Sycamore Hills in the future. We would love to show you a great time at our facility. If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to call Matthew at (586) 598-9500 ext. 1.

Macomb, Michigan